PDA

View Full Version : New to the SC family - 2017 Mondo Introduction

audisnapr
08-04-2020, 09:26 AM
Hi all - thought I would finally post up a proper introduction.

I grew up skiing Pyramid Lake and a few other spots in SoCal back in the '70s & '80s on a family friend's Nautique. I've since relocated to NY then NJ back in early 2003 and 2009 respectively and eventually pulled the trigger in 2012 on a 1995 Sea Ray, Ski Ray Spitfire, a competition ski boat much like the Nautique I grew up on, except the Ski Ray started every time I went to the lake. I picked up the Ski Ray in Florida and had it shipped up to NJ where we enjoyed the small and nibble format for seven seasons. It really was a good boat. I spent some time adding my mark to an already very good condition 25-year-old boat and sent it on its way just a few months back since we had already acquired the 2017 Mondo back in October of 2019 and couldn't keep two boats in our driveway for much longer.

http://public.visualrealms.com/forums/Moomba/skiray_sml.jpg (http://public.visualrealms.com/forums/Moomba/skiray.jpg)

Although the Ski Ray was a great intro to the lake-life and we have a million fond memories over the 7 summers we used it, it just wasn't able to give us enough flexibility with regards to space (seated 6 uncomfortably) and didn't throw a big enough wake to push my, now 10-year-old daughter's, wakeboard skills.

Enter the 2017 Mondo. Without doing too much research, it was clear that SC's Moomba was the right level of style, features, abilities, and cost for us compared to everything else we saw on the market. There really weren't too many Moombas within striking distance for us, but that really didn't phase me much since I bought the Ski Ray in Florida and our tow vehicle in Oregon. We were, however, lucky to find our boat not too far from us in PA and without much hesitation, or even negotiation, since it is in fact my two favorite colors, gave the nice man a load of money for a used, surf addition Mondo. And after the countless trips already in 2020, we are smitten with the Mondo and can't get enough of it. It's a huge step forward for us, obviously coming from a 1995 ski boat to a modern, 2017 surf edition wake boat, there are so many things to appreciate and so many things to learn. And although she's a big girl, relative to our beloved 18ft Ski Ray, our routine really hasn't changed much with regards to prep, launch, and recovery.

http://public.visualrealms.com/forums/Moomba/Mondo_sml.jpg (http://public.visualrealms.com/forums/Moomba/Mondo.jpg)

Our tow vehicle is a 2005, Ford E350 (van) Sportsmobile. It's a 6.0 (bullet proofed) diesel, weighing in at 11,000lbs and only struggles a tiny bit on the big hills unless I really push it, otherwise, I really don't know the boat is back there.

http://public.visualrealms.com/forums/Moomba/sportsmobile_sml.jpg (http://public.visualrealms.com/forums/Moomba/sportsmobile.jpg)

http://public.visualrealms.com/forums/Moomba/tow-setup_sml.jpg (http://public.visualrealms.com/forums/Moomba/tow-setup.jpg)

...continued in post #2 for additional images

audisnapr
08-04-2020, 09:28 AM
... continued

We've learned a few things along the way. Most notably that even though they call it a surf addition, clearly it's not truly ready to surf. A minor set back that required some research pre and post-day-one surfing that kinda let me down. We've since upgraded to the 910's plus a 400lb bag in front of the rear bench which has greatly improved but not totally satisfied me just yet. Along with the bags, I added 4, 24" long stiffeners on each side at the engine panels.

http://public.visualrealms.com/forums/Moomba/mondo-stiffeners_sml.jpg (http://public.visualrealms.com/forums/Moomba/mondo-stiffeners.jpg)

We, of course, have a ton of photos and videos of us figuring out the surfing (we are all new to surfing) and will show off some video's once it looks like we sorta know what we are doing. Until then, this is my daughter Wilhemina, who has competed as a beginner in a wakeboard competition, learning to surf for the first time.

I've included a few other videos I shot of the competitions and other misc lake days.

Wakeboard Competition 2019
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ucbTObyUEs

Lake-life a few years back on the SkiRay
https://youtu.be/UO5cZHbaXJ0

jason1973
08-04-2020, 09:59 AM
As the owner of a 2019 Mondo, i know what you mean about ready to surf out of the box. Just not possible. I added the 750's in the back, and 500lbs of lead on top of that. I can surf now, but i think my surfing ability helps the situation. I still want to see a much bigger wave for beginners as they struggle a bit. I learned surfing behind a 24ft Malibu MXZ which has an amazing surf wake.

mgswake
08-04-2020, 10:35 AM
Welcome!!!!

Did you do the filming and editing on those videos??? They are great quality, so good! It's cool to see the wakeboard competition, you just don't see too much of that anymore, sadly. Just personal preference, but I find it so much more appealing to participate in and watch.

The Mondo is a nice little boat. Are you on a restricted lake? Or, did you just not need a larger boat due to size of crew?

Love the van as well! Great setup.

sandm
08-04-2020, 10:42 AM
nice boat and rig. congrats and welcome to the forum..

haknslash
08-04-2020, 09:28 PM
Nice story and pics! Congrats and welcome to the SC family and forum!!

audisnapr
08-05-2020, 08:50 AM
As the owner of a 2019 Mondo, i know what you mean about ready to surf out of the box. Just not possible. I added the 750's in the back, and 500lbs of lead on top of that. I can surf now, but i think my surfing ability helps the situation. I still want to see a much bigger wave for beginners as they struggle a bit. I learned surfing behind a 24ft Malibu MXZ which has an amazing surf wake.

I think more than anything else, convincing my wife that we didn't make a mistake with the purchase because the boat wasn't ready to surf right out of the box was the biggest challenge. I've been able to surf on the port side but we can't seem to get enough push on the goofy side for my buddies. Still learning.

Welcome!!!!

Did you do the filming and editing on those videos??? They are great quality, so good! It's cool to see the wakeboard competition, you just don't see too much of that anymore, sadly. Just personal preference, but I find it so much more appealing to participate in and watch.

The Mondo is a nice little boat. Are you on a restricted lake? Or, did you just not need a larger boat due to size of crew?

Love the van as well! Great setup.

Yes, I filmed and edited the videos. Thanks for the kind words. We really enjoy the "Wake-Off" - sadly this year, of course, will not be a live event. They are requesting videos be submitted by the contestants for judging.

We are not on a restricted lake but, yes, we do have a small crew; it's just the three of us and since the new 13-capacity more than doubled our old boat, we expected that this was the right size for us. Surfing was all new to us and was just going to be a "second" sport for the boat. The main purpose was to push my daughter's wakeboard skills. We had no idea we would enjoy surfing so much.

nice boat and rig. congrats and welcome to the forum..

Nice story and pics! Congrats and welcome to the SC family and forum!!

Thanks, all!

yearround
08-05-2020, 02:58 PM
Welcome! it seems us mondo owners are a bit limited. we are very happy with our 19. we had an LSV for 11 years. we are size restricted by my garage storage length. it has taken some time to get happy and learn the surf wave for this. but we are doing pretty well on both sides. we have had the boat loaded to 13 people and it is squishy. but we all had fun. I still ski, but that is usually behind a MC DD.

jcredible
08-05-2020, 03:40 PM
When I had the mondo...was as follows

1) Upgraded rear bags to 1140s...probably get about 900-1000 lbs into them.(wish I woulda bought the 910s)
2) 1000 lbs upfront(500 hard tank+500 lbs IBS)
3) 500 lbs of Lead that usually sits surf side under the seat.(sometimes we move 100-150 lbs up front to lengthen the wave)
4) I take one of the old 650 lbs bags and have it sit infront of the rear bench seat on the floor.(only run this with less than 4-5 people in the boat.

Goofy
1. I run at 11.1 - 11.2
2. Surf Tab at 65
3. Wake plate at 25-30%
4. I usually drain about 300 lbs out of the opposite locker to list it pretty hard.

Regular
1. Surf Speed at usually 10.9
2. Surf Tab at 60
3. Wake Plate at 25-30%
4. Typically I just move the lead over and then run equal weighting on rear bags.

audisnapr
08-05-2020, 05:45 PM
Welcome! it seems us mondo owners are a bit limited. we are very happy with our 19. we had an LSV for 11 years. we are size restricted by my garage storage length. it has taken some time to get happy and learn the surf wave for this. but we are doing pretty well on both sides. we have had the boat loaded to 13 people and it is squishy. but we all had fun. I still ski, but that is usually behind a MC DD.

Nice. Good to hear there is success out there with the smaller boats. I have yet to ski behind the Mondo but doesn't look like it'll be very flat back there. I'm really enjoying the leisurely stroll that is surfing. So much easier on my bones. I had high hopes for developing some bigger wakeboard jumps and tricks but I may just leave that to my daughter if we can pull her off the surfboard

When I had the mondo...was as follows

1) Upgraded rear bags to 1140s...probably get about 900-1000 lbs into them.(wish I woulda bought the 910s)
2) 1000 lbs upfront(500 hard tank+500 lbs IBS)
3) 500 lbs of Lead that usually sits surf side under the seat.(sometimes we move 100-150 lbs up front to lengthen the wave)
4) I take one of the old 650 lbs bags and have it sit infront of the rear bench seat on the floor.(only run this with less than 4-5 people in the boat.

Awesome! Thanks for taking the time to spell that all out for me.

We trailer our boat to the lake each and every time unless we know for certain we'll be back the next day, in which case we can pay an overnight fee, so it doesn't seem like lead is much of an option for us. I have been toying with the idea of using the two old 650's that I pulled out of the rear lockers and put them side by side on the floor in front of the rear bench. We'll have to depend on one of the rear lockers to empty out on the non-surf side to get the required roll. Seems like a PITA to fill two 650's but it might be worth it on a day when it's just my two buddies and me.

Realizing I never posted my daughter, day-one surfing. She got right up and was "surfing" within two or three tries. So yah, this is us, no clue what we are doing, surfing right on top of the swim step, stock ballast, autowake on, then off, then on again because it just didn't seem to work. I mean, it's a surf addition after all, right? It should work! HAHA

At this point, we only had one board for all. Entry-level 5'4" board. We recently got her into a much more appropriate length board so we'll see what she can do.

https://youtu.be/qDT-eX6vy_A

audisnapr
08-10-2020, 02:03 PM
Still working out our wave but even more, still learning how to surf the wave. Was able to break away from sitting in the cove and was able to take the guys out for a mid-day surf session. Super choppy out so you'll notice I spend a lot of time looking ahead to see when the next rolling is coming through. Last time out I was able pump back into the pocket a few times but no so much this time.

I'm surfing with AutoWake on. 10.5mph, 60 surf tab, 0 trim tab, with the 910's in the rear lockers (100%/80%), 400lb bag in front of the rear bench, full front bag, probably 600lbs of dudes and almost no gas.

https://youtu.be/wDuD9tilMFo

Isaguel
08-10-2020, 07:12 PM
Still working out our wave but even more, still learning how to surf the wave. Was able to break away from sitting in the cove and was able to take the guys out for a mid-day surf session. Super choppy out so you'll notice I spend a lot of time looking ahead to see when the next rolling is coming through. Last time out I was able pump back into the pocket a few times but no so much this time.

I'm surfing with AutoWake on. 10.5mph, 60 surf tab, 0 trim tab, with the 910's in the rear lockers (100%/80%), 400lb bag in front of the rear bench, full front bag, probably 600lbs of dudes and almost no gas.

https://youtu.be/wDuD9tilMFo

That's a nice looking wave considering the conditions audisnapr.

audisnapr
08-11-2020, 06:33 PM
That's a nice looking wave considering the conditions audisnapr.

Good to know. I really do not have a clear understanding of what is and is not a good wave. A wave can look good but not have push, correct? And visa versa? I feel like I'm somewhere in the middle. My 10 y/o daughter could surf all day (assuming she doesn't fall) but if I make one tiny error in placement, I fall behind and am done.

Isaguel
08-11-2020, 07:37 PM
Well, I meant considering how choppy and wavy the water is, and the total weight displacement, you got a decent surfable wave, it maintained relatively good shape and curl, the lip was rough but that's because of the choppiness. I thought I saw you surf relatively far back, if you had smooth water I would assume the wave would be better, cleaner. But then again, it is difficult to tell on video, things seem farther than they really are. I read on your OP that you upgraded to 910's +400 lb, total 2200 in back. Most people are requiring a lot more weight in their boats. So, pretty good considering the conditions and total displacement.
BTW, you are using a surf style board? What is it? If you are, try skim style, it'll lengthen the effective usable wave a couple feet easily.

audisnapr
08-11-2020, 08:24 PM
We have two boards are our disposal at the moment. Me and my crew and all of my buddies are new to surfing (been wakeboarding for several years) so we opted for some entry level boards. One is a 5'-2" Connelly Ride Wakesurfer board and the other, I bought for my daughter, is the CTRL Bonito Wakesurfer 4'-1". I've surfed the 49" Bonito and it's fun but I'm not good enough to really take advantage of it's short length. Do we need something in between the two with regards to length?

Correct, we have the 910's, the 400 plus the bow bag, which honestly, I'm not even sure how much it weighs. With the boys in the back, I did see a message on my display that the bow bag was maxed out. When I was driving, we had about 560lbs in crew. So all in, we had 3500#'s of ballast (assuming the front is 650#) plus some fuel and gear which wasn't much.

I assume it's more about learning to surf the wave I have and not so much the wave's fault with 3500lbs of ballast.

If I were to use the OE 650lbs rear locker bag just in front of the rear bench, plus the 400lbs bag mid ship, that would put us north of 4000lbs of ballast but I would still need to pick up some additional port fittings for the 650# bag before that can happen. Maybe I swap the fittings form the 400lbs bag and put them on the 650lbs bag. That would be a net gain of 250lbs. What's great about the 400lbs bag is that it fits in between the rear benches perfectly. It presses against the benches and stays in place. The 650lbs bags are longer so I would need to rotate them 90 degrees and therefore the weight will be pushed forward a bit.

Isaguel
08-11-2020, 11:34 PM
We have two boards are our disposal at the moment. Me and my crew and all of my buddies are new to surfing (been wakeboarding for several years) so we opted for some entry level boards. One is a 5'-2" Connelly Ride Wakesurfer board and the other, I bought for my daughter, is the CTRL Bonito Wakesurfer 4'-1". I've surfed the 49" Bonito and it's fun but I'm not good enough to really take advantage of it's short length. Do we need something in between the two with regards to length?

Correct, we have the 910's, the 400 plus the bow bag, which honestly, I'm not even sure how much it weighs. With the boys in the back, I did see a message on my display that the bow bag was maxed out. When I was driving, we had about 560lbs in crew. So all in, we had 3500#'s of ballast (assuming the front is 650#) plus some fuel and gear which wasn't much.

I assume it's more about learning to surf the wave I have and not so much the wave's fault with 3500lbs of ballast.

If I were to use the OE 650lbs rear locker bag just in front of the rear bench, plus the 400lbs bag mid ship, that would put us north of 4000lbs of ballast but I would still need to pick up some additional port fittings for the 650# bag before that can happen. Maybe I swap the fittings form the 400lbs bag and put them on the 650lbs bag. That would be a net gain of 250lbs. What's great about the 400lbs bag is that it fits in between the rear benches perfectly. It presses against the benches and stays in place. The 650lbs bags are longer so I would need to rotate them 90 degrees and therefore the weight will be pushed forward a bit.

From your comments, I gather you are new to the sport. Connely is OK, surf style board, more buoyant. You should see if u can test drive a skim style, something like a P5 trident, one with a 3 fin setup for more stability, you can remove a fin later once you are more comfortable.
Skim style are much faster and effectively will lengthen your usable wave substantially, much more fun, but more "loose" compared to your Connelly. You get used to it quickly. As far as size, the Connelly is foam core and more buoyant, wider size range.
P5's have a sizing chart, the trident I ride is 190lb and up for the 54".

As far as ballast. I am not familiar with the Mondo. There are good threads here from Mondo owners on ballast. My preference, a clean, uncluttered look. I would rather use 6-700 lbs lead bags under the ballast bags. 300 rear lockers, 200 midship and 100 bow, evenly side to side. It means you have more to tow, more drag when you're cruising around the lake, messes up your ski wake. So, you'll get different opinions on this.

audisnapr
08-13-2020, 04:36 PM
From your comments, I gather you are new to the sport. Connely is OK, surf style board, more buoyant. You should see if u can test drive a skim style, something like a P5 trident, one with a 3 fin setup for more stability, you can remove a fin later once you are more comfortable.
Skim style are much faster and effectively will lengthen your usable wave substantially, much more fun, but more "loose" compared to your Connelly. You get used to it quickly. As far as size, the Connelly is foam core and more buoyant, wider size range.
P5's have a sizing chart, the trident I ride is 190lb and up for the 54".

As far as ballast. I am not familiar with the Mondo. There are good threads here from Mondo owners on ballast. My preference, a clean, uncluttered look. I would rather use 6-700 lbs lead bags under the ballast bags. 300 rear lockers, 200 midship and 100 bow, evenly side to side. It means you have more to tow, more drag when you're cruising around the lake, messes up your ski wake. So, you'll get different opinions on this.

As always, thanks again for the information. I'll def look into the boards. Having a board that effectively lengthens the wave would be huge. The whole idea of adding lead weigh scares me because we have a single axle Boatmate trailer and we trailer our boat to the lake each and every time. I think we have to stick with water weight.

sandm
08-13-2020, 05:05 PM
I've surfed a '14 mondo back in wisconsin. it's a fun wave. he had iirc 1100's in the rear corners(might have been 900's but I thought he went big) and added the IBS up front. no other changes to ballast. usually 4 in the boat and a surfer. listed, the boat produced a wave that was pretty easy to drop the rope for my fat arse at 220lbs.
20ft boats are not going to have the longest wave due to the short hull but his wave was good considering. much better than my old 20ssv with less weight tho.

not sure if your '17 has any kind of surf systems on it that will add to the setup.

audisnapr
08-13-2020, 05:22 PM
I've surfed a '14 mondo back in wisconsin. it's a fun wave. he had iirc 1100's in the rear corners(might have been 900's but I thought he went big) and added the IBS up front. no other changes to ballast. usually 4 in the boat and a surfer. listed, the boat produced a wave that was pretty easy to drop the rope for my fat arse at 220lbs.
20ft boats are not going to have the longest wave due to the short hull but his wave was good considering. much better than my old 20ssv with less weight tho.

not sure if your '17 has any kind of surf systems on it that will add to the setup.

Our Mondo is the surf addition but I'm not entirely sure what that gets us? I know we have a front bag but from what I can tell, we don't have a mid-ship bag under the floor unless it's connected to the front bag. We only have three ballast switches, two rears, and one front. The boat also has the OJ 15x13 prop which I gather is the "surf prop"? I've updated the software to the 2019 file from Matt Brown. What other things fall under surf setup?

sandm
08-13-2020, 08:59 PM
newer moombas had tabs for a "surf system". that is what I was referring to. some were manual to set and some have actuators. the mondo I have surfed didn't have any tabs on the back. it was listed.
he replaced the rear sacs with upgrades and added an IBS in the front that iirc is piggybacked off the front bag. still only have 3 switches.
at the time this was the recommended road map to get a good surf wave out of the mondo. others might be able to steer toward midship bags under seats and the such based on your boat being a touch newer.

audisnapr
08-17-2020, 12:00 PM
newer moombas had tabs for a "surf system". that is what I was referring to. some were manual to set and some have actuators. the mondo I have surfed didn't have any tabs on the back. it was listed.
he replaced the rear sacs with upgrades and added an IBS in the front that iirc is piggybacked off the front bag. still only have 3 switches.
at the time this was the recommended road map to get a good surf wave out of the mondo. others might be able to steer toward midship bags under seats and the such based on your boat being a touch newer.

Gotcha. Thanks for the suggestions. Yes, our 2017 Mondo has the actuated surf tabs so we do that going for us.

I mentioned the P5 boards to one of the guys who was surfing with us (the one who is very animated in the video). He plans on buying two P5 boards - haha - so hopefully we'll get a chance to see how much faster, these different boards can be.

We got some more time on the water this past weekend. Relatively calm. More or less the same setup. Four-guy-surf session. Left the ladies and kids in the other two boats in the cove. The wave road pretty well and I was able to stay in the pocket a bit longer. If I messed up a turn or something, however, I would lose the wave. Turns out, while I was surfing, AutoWake had dumped a bunch of water out of the surf side and the front - still not sure why. These two runs were without optimum ballast, apparently. After these runs, when the camera was out of memory, we filled all the bags to 100%, turned AW off and made sure the big guys sat on the surf side.

https://youtu.be/KwbiYiBhfr8

audisnapr
08-25-2020, 02:43 PM
Got the chance to get out mid week for another surf session with the guys. Nothing really changed in our surf setup but it was super flat out around 5pm on a Wednesday afternoon with a chance of rain. I think we are all getting a little better. At this point I'm the only one that can ride ropeless for any a good amount of time. Unfortunately for the bigger guys, we only have the one board (at the time) but will be bringing two new boards for the next session.

For all you shooters/shutterbugs out there...
Instead of relying on the someone on the boat to hold a camera, I used two more of the same brackets I used for the skier's flag mount to hold the camera on the tower. It's rock solid. I don't notice any shake or vibration which is also good. The challenge is getting the exposure correct for the variable weather conditions. Easy enough when it's bright blue skies but a bit more difficult when the clouds roll through. I admittedly forget the camera is there from time to time so the videos aren't always exposed very well. And grading LOG videos that are under-exposed, suck (for those of you who are familiar with the process).

http://gallery.visualrealms.com/data/media/256/img_1313_sml.jpg (http://gallery.visualrealms.com/data/media/256/img_1313_sml.jpg)
http://gallery.visualrealms.com/data/media/256/img_1314_sml.jpg (http://gallery.visualrealms.com/data/media/256/img_1314_sml.jpg)
http://gallery.visualrealms.com/data/media/256/img_1315_sml.jpg (http://gallery.visualrealms.com/data/media/256/img_1315_sml.jpg)

My ropeless ride is at about the 7:40 min mark. Also some really bad attempts at a 360 at the end of the video. I'll get it one of these days.

https://youtu.be/eTECme90Ic8?t=459

jimmsch
08-25-2020, 08:12 PM
The kids love surfing and it is less stressful on the body, But keep her wakeboarding. I remember her from last year at the Wakeoff! She has talent and she seems to love shredding. I try to keep Zandar away from surfing unless the water isn't cooperating for wakeboarding...or it's night time!! Night surfing for the win!!

Good luck if you entered a video for the Wakeoff!

audisnapr
08-28-2020, 12:59 PM
The kids love surfing and it is less stressful on the body, But keep her wakeboarding. I remember her from last year at the Wakeoff! She has talent and she seems to love shredding. I try to keep Zandar away from surfing unless the water isn't cooperating for wakeboarding...or it's night time!! Night surfing for the win!!

Thanks! I wish I could keep her wakeboarding. She's at that stage where she will only wakeboard or surf if we really push her. We did get her out surfing this last Wednesday evening but she only stayed out a few runs. She's just so blah about it all - so of course, no competition video for us. I mean, I just bought a new-to-us $50K wake/surf boat. Come on!! No matter, everyone else on the boat can't get enough of it.

The wife and I spent some time on a little project recently. I had been seeing posts about the swim step cover and looked into getting one from Josh but figured I would give it a whirl on my own. Up until now, I've been using an old tarp weighted down by three, 5-liter used oil jugs, so I needed something. Pretty straight forward little project if you aren't expecting anything fancy. We picked up some medium grey marine vinyl, some matching nylon thread, and some 3/16" shock cord for under $50. The rest was on us.

Considering cutting out a vinyl stencil of the Moomba logo on my vinyl cutter so that I can paint the logo onto the cover - just a little added flare.

http://gallery.visualrealms.com/data/media/257/img_1322_sml.jpg (http://gallery.visualrealms.com/data/media/257/img_1322.jpg)

http://gallery.visualrealms.com/data/media/257/img_1328_sml.jpg (http://gallery.visualrealms.com/data/media/257/img_1328.jpg)

http://gallery.visualrealms.com/data/media/257/img_1329_sml.jpg (http://gallery.visualrealms.com/data/media/257/img_1329.jpg)

http://gallery.visualrealms.com/data/media/257/img_1337_sml.jpg (http://gallery.visualrealms.com/data/media/257/img_1337.jpg)

jimmsch
08-28-2020, 01:52 PM
wow! that cover looks awesome! great job

Isaguel
08-28-2020, 06:55 PM
That looks really good. How do you hold it down. Did you sew straps underneath?

audisnapr
08-29-2020, 08:43 AM
wow! that cover looks awesome! great job

Thanks! I think it'll do the job.

That looks really good. How do you hold it down. Did you sew straps underneath?

No, no straps. I made the sides of the cover about 1" taller than the sides of the platform so that when the shock-cord (elastic cord) is pulled tight, the sides of the cover fold in under the platform to grab it and hold on tight. The one flaw with this design is that the one side of the platform up against the stern is curved inward (concave)... that side of the cover, when pulled tight with the shock-cord, tries to create a straight line/shape instead of following the inward curve of the platform side. Doesn't seem to be a problem because all of the other sides of the cover fold under and hug the platform - doesn't appear to be going anywhere.

Tommy2slow
08-29-2020, 03:05 PM

I had that same problem too with my kids. Originally it was tubing with our DD and now it’s surfing with the wake boat. We have a house rule that the kids have to ski or wakeboard before surfing/tubing . It wasn’t long before the kids were enjoying the skiing and wakeboarding more than the tubing and weren’t asking to tube anymore. My youngest is working on his skills to enter grassroots wake and surf comps next summer. Without the house rule we would still be tubing. If we are short on time we might only do a short surf session as this is our first summer surfing and he needs to catch up his surfing skill to his wake skill but 90% of the time we do a wakeboarding session first.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

larry_arizona
08-29-2020, 04:10 PM
I have only one boat rule......no tubes ever.

jimmsch
08-30-2020, 06:34 AM
I have only one boat rule......no tubes ever.

love that rule. wish i could say it was our rule too, but I have to carry a tube just for the friends of the kids that have no experience or skills. this year we haven't even used it since Zandar's friends have gotten a bit older and will at least kneeboard. Zayla's friends are too little yet for even a tube even though she can ride a wakeboard.

we used the rule when Zandar first started and this year with Zayla...wakeboard 3 tries before you can kneeboard. Now neither of them wants a kneeboard under them.

tubing sucks for everybody near you.