PDA

View Full Version : 2021 max

RyanE
08-02-2020, 06:37 PM
Buying a 2021 max very excited. Previous owner of a 2014 20 foot boat that just never lived up. Hoping for a different experience want to surf. Suggestions?

jimmsch
08-02-2020, 07:57 PM
buy it...you'll love it

Bmac
08-02-2020, 10:43 PM
RyanE, I have a 2020 Max. We love our boat and have not regretted purchasing it at all. You will love it as well. Just know that she is a big boat and needs a lot of weight to surf really well. We worked our way up to 5500lbs of ballast and the wake came alive. We have push way further back and are able to up our surf game quite a bit. Right now we have the 4,000lbs of stock water ballast with 400lbs of lead in the nose and 1,100 lbs of lead midship. It has been the best recipe that we have found. Good luck and have fun!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

flienlow
08-03-2020, 11:51 AM
If you are buying a Max. Here is what you need to know...

Gator step is Awesome. Gator Step in grey will be forever dirty.
Gator step walk through is a must.

If you are buying to surf. you WILL need to upgrade ballast. - WakeMakers.
If you upgrade ballast, you WILL need to add engine divider panel support. I am using 3/4" plywood set in loosely

If you are buying to surf. Be choosy about your Prop NOW!! - I have 2419, but new max may have different transmissions and need something else.

you can have a surf prop and go tubing, but...you'll eat gas.

I never user Auto Wake

G6 ballast is a must

We never use center "stadium" type seating and dont miss not buying back rest for it. I would be killer if it made into a table like the supras though.

Buy the extension platforms on the trailer. Shit I wish I did.

Finally, I will never own a White trailer or tower again. Cant keep it clean.

Hope this helps.

haknslash
08-03-2020, 12:44 PM
I haven’t had any issues with my stock dividers using the Wakemakers kit. My dividers appear to have support already. Agree with everything though. For sure get those trailer steps or you’ll need a trampoline lol. Be sure to option with the 7” dash screen instead of the small screen the 18-20 Max’s came with. Stock ballast for 2021 Max is 4K lbs so you may need some lead to get you close to 5k lbs or more of you have a light crew.

RyanE
08-03-2020, 02:41 PM
Awesome thanks for the info.

Ferns
08-03-2020, 03:50 PM
If you are buying a Max. Here is what you need to know...

Gator step is Awesome. Gator Step in grey will be forever dirty.
Gator step walk through is a must.

If you are buying to surf. you WILL need to upgrade ballast. - WakeMakers.
If you upgrade ballast, you WILL need to add engine divider panel support. I am using 3/4" plywood set in loosely

If you are buying to surf. Be choosy about your Prop NOW!! - I have 2419, but new max may have different transmissions and need something else.

you can have a surf prop and go tubing, but...you'll eat gas.

I never user Auto Wake

G6 ballast is a must

We never use center "stadium" type seating and dont miss not buying back rest for it. I would be killer if it made into a table like the supras though.

Buy the extension platforms on the trailer. Shit I wish I did.

Finally, I will never own a White trailer or tower again. Cant keep it clean.

Hope this helps.

Ditto from another Max owner

dakota4ce
08-03-2020, 09:28 PM
Also have a 2021 coming. Agree with all the statements. Went with a color scheme that allowed brown gator step for that very reason—Gray is perpetually dirty.

And I went 450 just because, well, power. I had the 450/1.76 on my SL and it’s an animal. Especially in full ballast wakeboarding. I will be running the Acme 3337 on that boat (16x15 .075) because it was a gem on my SL.

Prospersigman
08-04-2020, 11:44 AM
Dakota you going from a SL to the Max?

MJHSupra
08-04-2020, 01:40 PM

Probably $50K difference in price if you are just looking at just using it for surf wakes?

jazzvancouver
08-07-2020, 04:08 AM
Does the 2021 offer underwater lighting?

dakota4ce
08-07-2020, 10:28 AM

Yessir.

dakota4ce
08-07-2020, 10:34 AM
Probably $50K difference in price if you are just looking at just using it for surf wakes?

This is correct. I have a 450 equipped 21 coming in a couple weeks and about 50 grand in my pocket. Well not literally in my pocket. It’s in the bank mostly. And in my wife’s purse. And a few other places.

Light graphite, fancy trailer, the whole works. Wakemakers bags arrived already, as well as a 600 bow bag.

Working on the Flow 3.0 addition as we speak.

Pretty excited!

zruvalcaba
08-07-2020, 10:56 AM
I also have a 2021 Max coming. All great advice, thanks! So newb question here but what makes the WM bags better than the stock bags? We will have a light crew most of the time (2 adults, 4 kids)...probably 500lbs....so any advice on getting a better wake (aside from the obvious of more lead) out-of-the-box is appreciated. Also, we got the stock Indmar 400 option but there's still time to upgrade to the 450. Any reason to? Mainly trying to save money for other options....

dakota4ce
08-07-2020, 11:03 AM
I also have a 2021 Max coming. All great advice, thanks! So newb question here but what makes the WM bags better than the stock bags? We will have a light crew most of the time (2 adults, 4 kids)...probably 500lbs....so any advice on getting a better wake (aside from the obvious of more lead) out-of-the-box is appreciated. Also, we got the stock Indmar 400 option but there's still time to upgrade to the 450. Any reason to? Mainly trying to save money for other options....

450 is for wakeboarding heavy mostly. 400 fine for surfing. Most of the torque difference is above 3700 rpm.

Bags are bigger. 1345# vs 1000#. But you can’t use the rear storage trays. I didn’t even order them.

haknslash
08-07-2020, 11:04 AM

The Wakemakers read bags are 1,340 lbs versus the 1,000 lb stock rear bags. The Wakemakers midship bags are 540 vs 500 stock respectively. In the end Wakemakers nets 4,770 lbs vs 4,000 stock. This could also be achieved with lead/steel shot bags. If I had a newer Max with 4,000 lbs I would maybe just upgrade the rear bags and use lead for everything else.

As far as the 400 goes the new boats come with better gear ratio which should make the 400 ideal for most people unless you live in high elevation. I’m at sea level with the 400 and Wakemakers kit plus longer ratio and have no issues. It has great power!

dakota4ce
08-07-2020, 11:07 AM
The Wakemakers read bags are 1,340 lbs versus the 1,000 lb stock rear bags. The Wakemakers midship bags are 540 vs 500 stock respectively. In the end Wakemakers nets 4,770 lbs vs 4,000 stock. This could also be achieved with lead/steel shot bags.

Midship bags are not for the 21s—they have a floor in the side compartments now. Maybe 20 was the same?

Anyway, the Bagbuster is rears only now.

haknslash
08-07-2020, 11:08 AM
I thought you could get the false floor last year if you optioned for the 4K ballast. Are you saying the 2021 Max is more like a big Enzo bag instead of separate rear and midship? I have a buddy who ordered one and it should be here middle of this month and can’t wait to crawl over it. My dealer has literally zero boats on their lots and it’s been a good year for boat sales lol.

zruvalcaba
08-07-2020, 11:11 AM
Damn this is great information. The side storage bins are a $630 upgrade. That pays for the upgraded WM bags and then some. Thanks guys, I'll be calling my dealer and removing that option ASAP. I assume those can be ordered after the fact if needed anyway right?

dakota4ce
08-07-2020, 11:11 AM
No. Same setup, just that the false floor doesn’t allow for a larger bag. So the stock 500 bag is it. It fills the space under the false floor.

dakota4ce
08-07-2020, 11:14 AM
Damn this is great information. The side storage bins are a $630 upgrade. That pays for the upgraded WM bags and then some. Thanks guys, I'll be calling my dealer and removing that option ASAP. I assume those can be ordered after the fact if needed anyway right?

Of course. You could get later.

I personally want the water weight. Plus there are a few inches yet still above the big rears when full that a guy could rig a net or some other deal for a little storage of a jacket or 2. And the max still has the center over engine tray that holds a lot.

haknslash
08-07-2020, 11:16 AM
Yea I would not get the side storage bins if you want to upgrade midship bags. The bins were an option last year as well. We still use our side storage to store boards when the boat is out away or when I’m not filling any bags so adding the side storage bins would cut into available storage space. However if you want a clean look like you have subfloor ballast then option the side storage bins but just understand you’ll be stuck with the stock bags (or pop out the storage bins and lay some lead under the stock bag and stuff lead in the narrow tunnel leading up to the helm).

dakota4ce
08-07-2020, 11:21 AM
Yea I would not get the side storage bins if you want to upgrade midship bags. The bins were an option last year as well. We still use our side storage to store boards when the boat is out away or when I’m not filling any bags so adding the side storage bins would cut into available storage space. However if you want a clean look like you have subfloor ballast then option the side storage bins but just understand you’ll be stuck with the stock bags (or pop out the storage bins and lay some lead under the stock bag and stuff lead in the narrow tunnel leading up to the helm).

Lots of confusion here:

“Side storage bins” option is the rear storage bins. From my understanding.

Side storage is a false floor. Period.

Again from my understanding.

dakota4ce
08-07-2020, 11:22 AM
I believe the nomenclature is probably derived from the fact that the max has a center storage bin.

haknslash
08-07-2020, 11:22 AM
Of course. You could get later.

I personally want the water weight. Plus there are a few inches yet still above the big rears when full that a guy could rig a net or some other deal for a little storage of a jacket or 2. And the max still has the center over engine tray that holds a lot.

Ditto what Dakota saying. With the WM rears I still have plenty of rear storage space even with bags full and rock hard. I keep my Exile balls in there while inflated which I would guess to be 15” at least and still have room for two of those balls on top of the bags. This is a big reason why we chose the Max knowing it had super deep storage enough for upgraded ballast bags and still be able to store things. As he mentioned you can use netting like in the murder Max thread to keep from having to bend way down in the canyon sized rear lockers lol.

dakota4ce
08-07-2020, 11:23 AM
So in summary, skip the side storage bins option and order the upgraded rear bags.

Double check this with your dealer before you pull the trigger, but that is how I understood the set up.

dakota4ce
08-07-2020, 11:24 AM
Ditto what Dakota saying. With the WM rears I still have plenty of rear storage space even with bags full and rock hard. I keep my Exile balls in there while inflated which I would guess to be 15” at least and still have room for two of those balls on top of the bags. This is a big reason why we chose the Max knowing it had super deep storage enough for upgraded ballast bags and still be able to store things. As he mentioned you can use netting like in the murder Max thread to keep from having to bend way down in the canyon sized rear lockers lol.

Check me if I’m wrong, but your rear bags are probably the 1200s, is that correct?

The 1340s are a bit taller.

zruvalcaba
08-07-2020, 11:31 AM

I'd like to avoid adding lead if possible. I'm already beginning to dread towing this thing with my 1500 Suburban....adding lead will just add to the overall weight of the boat when towing. The lake we usually go to is 6 hours away and the Colorado River is 4 hours away so the lighter I can keep my boat when towing the better. I'd rather trade 600lbs of extra ballast from these WM's for 600lbs of lead any day.

haknslash
08-07-2020, 11:44 AM
Check me if I’m wrong, but your rear bags are probably the 1200s, is that correct?

The 1340s are a bit taller.

They use the same rear bags as the Makai which are 1,345 lb bags. I know the image they use for the Max bag buster says 1,200 lb but when you get the bag the box states they are Makai/Max rear bags. Also if you go on WM site and do the bag buster kit for the Max you see you only get a rear bag option (because they come with midship bags) and that it says 1,345 lb rear bags. Perhaps early on the first WM Max kit used 1200 lb bag or they had a typo and never corrected it? I don't know which to be the case but I do know the Makai and Max share the same rear locker bags which state they're 1,345. This kind of gues inline with what Jason (I think his name is) on the FB owners group said the new (at the time 2019+) kit is almost 5k lbs. If you add it up that brings it to 4,770 lbs.

https://i.imgur.com/QPCruNZ.jpg

Here's a pic of the box label. Notice it says 2019+. I know they made some changes to the overflow and fill ports because Skiers Choice changed things for 2019 so perhaps they went from 1200 lb bags in 2018 to increasing size slightly for 2019+ to 1,345 lbs.

https://i.imgur.com/biF81MS.jpg

dakota4ce
08-07-2020, 11:48 AM
They use the same rear bags as the Makai which are 1,345 lb bags. I know the image they use for the Max bag buster says 1,200 lb but when you get the bag the box states they are Makai/Max rear bags. Also if you go on WM site and do the bag buster kit for the Max you see you only get a rear bag option and that it says 1,345 lb bags. Perhaps early on the first WM Max kit used 1200 lb bag or they had a typo and never corrected it? I don't know which to be the case but I do know the Makai and Max share the same rear locker bags.

https://i.imgur.com/QPCruNZ.jpg

Yes the earlier version of the max bag buster was 1200. How long have you had yours? The reason I ask is 15 inches of room above them seems like too much. That would almost allow for the bin to be used?

haknslash
08-07-2020, 11:55 AM
Yes the earlier version of the max bag buster was 1200. How long have you had yours? The reason I ask is 15 inches of room above them seems like too much. That would almost allow for the bin to be used?

I ordered my 2019 kit during Black Friday last year. Installed them in the spring of this year. They made me new replacement bags this year because the first ones they sent were incorrectly made like many others which had "short" fill hoses. My new bags are about 8" longer and taller in the "pocket" area in between the rear and midship area of the locker than the original bags they sent me. The bins changed from 2019 to now according to some people on the FB group. The old bins I don't think would fit but I've heard the 2020 bins and newer are shallower so they could fit. I can't say for certain as it seems conflicting from those that have the bins and no telling when SC changed bin depth.

haknslash
08-07-2020, 12:01 PM
It's also worth mentioning that my 15" ball statement may not be entirely accurate as my Exile balls are not filled to maximum inflation levels. They have lost some air over time so maybe they are more like 12" now idk. All I know these are the newer bags because the ports and everything are of when they made the changes to 3 ports on the bottom for the 2019's and up.

https://i.imgur.com/mql1p5R.png

https://i.imgur.com/dN2d7OD.png

dakota4ce
08-07-2020, 12:10 PM
I was having a discussion with the aftermarket guy at wake makers and he swears these bags could not be any bigger and I thought for sure they could be bigger. Looks like they could be a lot bigger.

dakota4ce
08-07-2020, 12:53 PM
Based on the confusing information they were telling me I would not be surprised if your 2019 kit is a set of 1200 pound bags. Are you positive they are not? They changed them for the 2020 boats. I think.

All in all it was really difficult to follow I must admit.

haknslash
08-07-2020, 01:18 PM
They changed them in 2019 when Skiers Choice changed the overflow from top to bottom of the bag. They were pulled off the WM website as they retooled and redesigned the bags and were off their for several months. I had kept in loose contact with them during that time as I was waiting to order bags and had to wait until they offered them again. It would seem silly for three to offer different size rear bags at this point. All I have to go by is what their website says when you place an order for rear bags and what the box says when you order them which says Makai/Max rear bags. Makai has always been a 1,345 lb bag. I agree it is confusing. I don’t think I would want s taller bag though simply because we use the storage a lot since you lose the midship when putting bags in there. I plan on adding 100 lbs of lead bags under my rear bags at some point and 400 lbs in the bow. I don’t want to get the 859 lb bow bag for the Max because then all of my storage would be gone except for under the helm. My lake gets rough and we usually fill front ballast to 50% or so to soak up the bumps so I won’t mind having 400 lbs up there in lead instead.

dakota4ce
08-07-2020, 01:41 PM
Roger that.

Bryan at WM swore to me the 1345 bags fill the compartment. I insisted they do not—using mainly photos from owners as evidence. It was an interesting debate.

But it sure looks like they don’t even come close. They could be 1550 easily it appears.

Which is what I wanted—given I don’t want/need the storage. Seems silly to make them just tall enough to eliminate the tubs, but then leave an big awkward gap that invites a net or something. 6” seems ok, 12-15” seems like wasted space.

haknslash
08-07-2020, 01:47 PM
I also was speaking with Bryan lol and he is the one who handled the issues I ran into. Not once but twice on their bags (they sent me mismatched midships too). I have a garage full of WM bags never used that I should sell off lol. Really nice guy on the phone and in emails. Maybe he was thinking the Makai locker has no room because that I could see being the point since Makai locker is nowhere near as deep as the Max since it has subfloor ballast. Interesting and yet confusing topic for sure haha.

Hayden
08-07-2020, 03:05 PM
dakota4ce can you list out the full spec of your 2021 Max with all the intended engine/ballast/prop options you're going for and where they will be located? I get the sense that you are attempting to min/max the boat to be the absolute heaviest possible and that is also something I would like to do. Are you primarily surfing or wakeboarding?

A follow up question for anyone who's gone beyond nameplate (passenger/gear/fuel/ballast) weighting for their boat - Is there a point where overballasting (say, 1000lbs, 2000lbs over nameplate), would cause short or long term damage to the engine, transmission, Vdrive? I realize you can counter this to some degree with larger engine and prop upgrades but for anyone that's gone beyond nameplate, and felt like they've had success or felt that it was or wasn't worth the money, what experiences have you had?

dakota4ce
08-07-2020, 04:12 PM
dakota4ce can you list out the full spec of your 2021 Max with all the intended engine/ballast/prop options you're going for and where they will be located? I get the sense that you are attempting to min/max the boat to be the absolute heaviest possible and that is also something I would like to do. Are you primarily surfing or wakeboarding?

A follow up question for anyone who's gone beyond nameplate (passenger/gear/fuel/ballast) weighting for their boat - Is there a point where overballasting (say, 1000lbs, 2000lbs over nameplate), would cause short or long term damage to the engine, transmission, Vdrive? I realize you can counter this to some degree with larger engine and prop upgrades but for anyone that's gone beyond nameplate, and felt like they've had success or felt that it was or wasn't worth the money, what experiences have you had?

Off top of my head 2021 Max
, 450 motor, 7 inch screen, heater, light graphite exterior everywhere and interior, light graphite trailer, 18 inch wheels, electric over hydraulic brakes, 7 inch screen, did I already say that? Light graphite of both fabrics on the interior, honey accent, brown gatorstep, rear trailer steps, no Bimini. Gonna build a Sewlong type bimini.

Ordered wake makers Bagbusters for the back. Also ordered 600 pound bow bag. G6 ballast. Pretty much every option honestly. I suspect in the end I will run 500 pounds or so of lead. I am also going to install flow 3.0.

Going forward we will be 50-50 wakeboarding and surfing.

larry_arizona
08-07-2020, 04:27 PM
, 450 motor, 7 inch screen, heater, light graphite exterior everywhere and interior, light graphite trailer, 18 inch wheels, electric over hydraulic brakes, 7 inch screen, did I already say that? Light graphite of both fabrics on the interior, honey accent, brown gatorstep, rear trailer steps, no Bimini. Gonna build a Sewlong type bimini.

Ordered wake makers Bagbusters for the back. Also ordered 600 pound bow bag. G6 ballast. Pretty much every option honestly. I suspect in the end I will run 500 pounds or so of lead. I am also going to install flow 3.0.

Did you not like your SL?

dakota4ce
08-07-2020, 04:43 PM
Did you not like your SL?

No I loved it. I have two boats now. 29 foot bowrider for day cruising so I dial back the financial commitment on the surf boat because it’s not going to be used all day every day. Should have the same or similar performance. Just not nearly as fancy.

haknslash
08-07-2020, 05:12 PM

VERY interested in your custom Sewlong bimini!!! Please keep us in the loop on that project. My guess is you're going for larger bimini for increased shade? That is one of my gripes about the Moomba bimini vs Supra that have the little rear "duck bill" shade. My Yamaha offered better shade coverage ffs lol.

Excited for all you guys and your 2021 Max builds!! SUPER envious of the 7" screen option ....grrr.

dakota4ce
08-07-2020, 05:13 PM
Yep want more coverage—easier deploy/stow.

MJHSupra
08-07-2020, 09:10 PM
Yep want more coverage—easier deploy/stow.

Is your 29 bow rider a Formula or SeaRay? It’s been awhile since I followed the I/O market.

TXSurf4
08-07-2020, 09:49 PM
Excited for all you guys and your 2021 Max builds!! SUPER envious of the 7" screen option ....grrr.

That is how I felt when I saw Flow 3.0 as a 2020 option after building and taking delivery of my Makai in 2019 given I took delivery the first week in March so it was 5 months later when they released the 2020 options but I am still a little envious lol.

dakota4ce
08-07-2020, 11:25 PM
Is your 29 bow rider a Formula or SeaRay? It’s been awhile since I followed the I/O market.

No it’s a Rinker. Nothing super fancy. Great boat.

Tommy2slow
08-08-2020, 12:32 AM
Order every option that is related to wake performance. The wake is why you’re buying an inboard after all. Colours are a personal choice, ask 100 members on the forum and you’ll get 100 different opinions. All of the creature comfort options that Moomba offers ad enjoyment to your boating experience at a reasonable price. However, the stereo upgrade is very expensive and the speakers are low quality. I was able to replace the four standard speakers in the boat and add another pair in the bow of high end Wetsounds 6.5” with RGB lit cones, four MTX 8” towers that look and sound great (LEDS and dome lights that I love), a 10” Bass tube (I am going to upgrade to two 12”s over the winter but I was trying to complete the upgrade and stay close to the cost of Moomba’s stereo upgrade) and amps to power all the speakers in the boat. Leave that option box unchecked on the order sheet and do your own upgrades. You’ll thank yourself later.

dakota4ce
08-08-2020, 01:01 AM
Order every option that is related to wake performance. The wake is why you’re buying an inboard after all. Colours are a personal choice, ask 100 members on the forum and you’ll get 100 different opinions. All of the creature comfort options that Moomba offers ad enjoyment to your boating experience at a reasonable price. However, the stereo upgrade is very expensive and the speakers are low quality. I was able to replace the four standard speakers in the boat and add another pair in the bow of high end Wetsounds 6.5” with RGB lit cones, four MTX 8” towers that look and sound great (LEDS and dome lights that I love), a 10” Bass tube (I am going to upgrade to two 12”s over the winter but I was trying to complete the upgrade and stay close to the cost of Moomba’s stereo upgrade) and amps to power all the speakers in the boat. Leave that option box unchecked on the order sheet and do your own upgrades. You’ll thank yourself later.

I am just gonna enclose the sub or replace it with a box and call it good. The rest will be fine for me. And I happen to love REV8 and REV10. Lots of people don’t, I have learned. I will put surf racks between them—so 2 speakers is my jam.

I hear what you’re saying though. Depending on how shitty the inboats are, can always toss in the Kicker 6.5s that are SOLID and cheap. I have the 8s in my Rinker and they are bananas good for the money. And I think the upgrade adds the bow speakers and amplified cockpit all the way around.

The upholstery intimidates me on adding speakers at first glance.

Tommy2slow
08-08-2020, 10:45 AM
I can completely understand being a bit nervous about cutting into a new boat and the idea of picking the boat up from the dealer ready to go is appealing. Keep in mind that the boat will have plastic panels in the bow already designed to accept 6.5” speakers (my Mojo did anyways) so the cutting was very easy. The stock cabin speakers sounded awful when I picked up my boat but maybe amplifying them with the upgrade will really wake them up. I must admit that I have not heard Moomba’s top tier stereo, just what came stock in my Mojo and I tried a free-air sub in my MC and was underwhelmed by both. Regardless of which way you go you are going to love your new Max. Also, believe all the members that are telling you that you will need to add weight to the boat to bring out the true abilities, all wake boats are like this, even the insanely expensive luxury brands. Cheers

DNIXD99
08-11-2020, 06:26 AM
Guessing dakota is Mitch. Cant wait to see this Max complete.

My WMs rear bags for my 19' are definitely 1200s. I still have the receipt.

haknslash
08-11-2020, 06:56 AM
I fully expect his Max to be massively weighted and throwing beastly waves. Can’t wait to see it all unfold.

rockymtnsurfer
08-11-2020, 07:30 AM
I moved the stock 1000lb rears to the mid ship and it made a big difference. Fills the compartment with still enough for a few items. Rears are 1200's but if they send you the shorter ones and taller (don't fit well, too short) I think they are more like 1300-1400. Fill time is longer, midships get super full and rear is still not even close to full. The longer ones are the way to go, but make sure they send the right ones the first time. They are replacing the one rear wrong size, but have sent the same one twice now. Bryan is the guy who works with the bags for the Max.....good guy to talk to. I just got my 3 weeks ago

dakota4ce
08-11-2020, 07:32 AM

Very interesting! We shall see if mine are bigger. I think the gel is flying tomorrow on this boat.
And yes, Dakota is Mitch! Or Mitch is Dakota. Anyway, they’re both me.

haknslash
08-11-2020, 08:43 AM
The real question will be after you set it up how you like it...how long until you sell it and buy another boat? :D

dakota4ce
08-11-2020, 08:55 AM
The real question will be after you set it up how you like it...how long until you sell it and buy another boat? :D

Who knows. Could be months [emoji1787]

haknslash
08-15-2020, 04:21 PM
First vid I've seen of the 2021 Max. I like the redesigned helm and switches. This one still has the small screen but you can see the display housing is made for the larger 7" screen. What I don't understand if they removed the little cubby hole by the drivers armrest. I use that thing all the time and it's only of my favorite little storage areas. I did notice the top of the dash now has two sections to put things so I guess this is what replaced the side cubby but I don't keep many things on top of the dash storage because it gets hot causing my cellphone to go into overheat. I had heard the grab rails were changed but they look the same. Overall it looks good and still one of the best boats in its price category.

https://youtu.be/k5tH_R2kusU

haknslash
08-15-2020, 04:23 PM
More in-depth video of it. Gives some good looks at the dash and also the midship lockers to hide the bags all subfloor. I see the modified the engine tray finally so it can be removed easily. Going to cut mine the same for sure.

https://youtu.be/KSEKrdjWyYY

FamilyMan
08-15-2020, 04:40 PM
Nice find on the videos. Really dig the midships bags being covered like that.... making me jealous a bit. Agree with the cubby by the throttle. I keep my glasses and phone there out of the sun, is kind of a shame it’s gone.

haknslash
08-15-2020, 09:36 PM

The thing is the math doesn't add up. I know the receipt, the website bag image or the box may say 1,200 lb but nothing indicates that is the number. Perhaps that is what the 1st gen Max bags were and they did not correct the bag image? When the 2019 bags were redesigned I think Jason Powers on the owners group got a test kit with the latest upgrade because he posted a video of the install and it was before they were able to be bought off the website again. Perhaps he worked with Wakemakers on the redesigned bags since he has a 2019 Max early on. In one of his videos or posts on the owners group he said that the total ballast of the new kit would be close to 5k lbs, which makes the 4,770 lbs fit that comment more than 4,480 lbs if using a 1,200 lb rear bag. Otherwise he would had rounded down and said the kit would be roughly 4,500 lbs total ballast. Everything else on their site indicates it is a 1,345 lb bag. The dropdown says the 2018-2019 Max upgrade is 1,885 lbs beause it adds two 540 lb bags and two 1,345 lb bags giving you a total of 1,885 lbs.

I made some images below to help illustrate what I'm seeing on their website. I'm going to message Bryan at Wakemakers to see what he says. Personally I think the Max could possibly fit a 1,500 bag or so if you wanted to completely fill the rear locker but that may be too much stress on the sidewalls and panels, I don't know.

2018-2019 Max selection in the dropdown...

https://i.imgur.com/TwIDSPy.jpg

2020 Max selection in the dropdown...

https://i.imgur.com/ZwXNQaT.jpg

Makai selection in the dropdown whihc uses the same rear bag as the Max...

https://i.imgur.com/ZwXNQaT.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/biF81MS.jpg

haknslash
08-15-2020, 09:56 PM
Just sent this to wakemakers support so it will be interesting what they come back with.

"Hey guys I have your bag buster kit for my 2019 Max. On the image for the 2018 or 2019 Max selection it shows an image of the 4 bags and the rears say "1,200 lbs". However on the dropdown it says the upgrade is 1,885 lbs per side. If it were truly 1,200 lb rear bags and 540 lb midship then the total per side would be 1,740 lbs. The box the bags come in says it is a Max/Makai rear bag. When you select the Makai bag buster kit it says the rear bag is 1,345 lbs. When you select a 2020 Max is doesn't show the midship bag image assuming since they came optioned with 500 lb midship bags from the factory but it says the rear bag is 1,345 lbs. In short is the "1,200 lb" rear bag on the image used for the 2018-2019 Max incorrect or is the dropdown ballast total per side and the 2020 Max dropdown incorrect? I know you guys made a redesign of the bags for 2019 when Skiers Choice changed the overflow from the top fo the bag to moving them down to the bottom of the bags for 2019. Was the 1st gen or 2018 Max bags slightly smaller and is that where the 1,200 lb image comes from and why it's on some of the box labels as being 1,200 lb bag? I've attached some images to explain what I'm seeing on your site."

z28ke
08-15-2020, 10:06 PM
Nice pickup noticing the modified center tray haknslash, I’ll be all over that this off-season!

Looks like now you just pull the tray up and forward, easy-peasy

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200816/8ee3dbe1c0ebc0be33b89822e2826b5e.jpg

haknslash
08-15-2020, 10:28 PM
Yup for sure going to cut it now that I know it will work. I do keep my box anchor in there but haven't noticed any issues with the weight. Last year I asked on the FB owners group for any suggestions on trimming the tray to make it easier to remove and one guy suggested doing exactly what Skiers Choice ended up doing lol.

https://i.imgur.com/GaWONr1.jpg

haknslash
08-15-2020, 11:00 PM
A few other minor changes I noticed...

https://i.imgur.com/MlgV1Qx.jpg

Basically the Max dash and helm is nearly identical to the Makai now. Take a look below at this 2020 Makai and compare to the new Max. The switches stack, head unit relocation, 7" dash, captains chair, padded glove box tops etc all the same now. Nice little upgrades IMO! I still prefer the higher supporting back and overall design of the 2018-2019 captains chairs.

https://i.imgur.com/bwDFCX5.jpg

haknslash
08-16-2020, 12:08 AM
One other change I think I see are the side padded areas in the bow walkthrough are flatter or less bubbly than the 2018-2020 Max's. Could be just my eyes but it for sure looks flatter especially around the side access door and corners.

https://i.imgur.com/nYqKSJ5.jpg

I noticed the drivers side padding is slightly reshaped because of the new dash design.

https://i.imgur.com/V1p7252.jpg

DNIXD99
08-16-2020, 12:57 AM
The thing is the math doesn't add up. I know the receipt, the website bag image or the box may say 1,200 lb but nothing indicates that is the number. Perhaps that is what the 1st gen Max bags were and they did not correct the bag image? When the 2019 bags were redesigned I think Jason Powers on the owners group got a test kit with the latest upgrade because he posted a video of the install and it was before they were able to be bought off the website again. Perhaps he worked with Wakemakers on the redesigned bags since he has a 2019 Max early on. In one of his videos or posts on the owners group he said that the total ballast of the new kit would be close to 5k lbs, which makes the 4,770 lbs fit that comment more than 4,480 lbs if using a 1,200 lb rear bag. Otherwise he would had rounded down and said the kit would be roughly 4,500 lbs total ballast. Everything else on their site indicates it is a 1,345 lb bag. The dropdown says the 2018-2019 Max upgrade is 1,885 lbs beause it adds two 540 lb bags and two 1,345 lb bags giving you a total of 1,885 lbs.

I made some images below to help illustrate what I'm seeing on their website. I'm going to message Bryan at Wakemakers to see what he says. Personally I think the Max could possibly fit a 1,500 bag or so if you wanted to completely fill the rear locker but that may be too much stress on the sidewalls and panels, I don't know.

2018-2019 Max selection in the dropdown...

The 2020 Max does come with 1345lbs. They changed it. 19' and 20' are not the same bag. Thats my understanding. But I think you got the 2020 bags, because you got it late in the year. IDK Could be wrong. Not really a big deal to me.

https://i.imgur.com/powqJFO.jpg

haknslash
08-16-2020, 01:12 AM
So it does seem things changed. That's interesting! I can't help but wonder why they didn't increase the bag to be even more since there is a lot of headspace still left in the rear lockers. I wonder if the bag height changed or if it was the length or perhaps both. This might make sense why some of us got bags that seemed too short with the provided hose connections. Maybe the older bags were shorter and had longer hoses to connect the midship. If they made a longer bag and made a shorter hose then this might explain when someone gets an older bag with the newer or shorter hoses that it becomes an issues? There are a few of us on here and on the FB group that had this issue and had to get replacement rear bags that were longer by 8 or more inches. The bags have model numbers on them so perhaps when I hear back from Wakemakers support they can help us identify what bags we have. I think it's kind of important to know when trying to factor in what the total boat displacement is and how to weight the boat from front to rear.

Isaguel
08-16-2020, 09:49 AM
Here’s a spec sheet for the’21 Max my brother in law built at the dealer. When I add up those features to the’20 configurator it turns out about 3000$ more than the’20 with similar specs. Minus the 7” touch screen which is a new option. Anyone else notices this? Am I missing something?https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200816/b059ce948593f1e80f1560c2bd095756.jpg

haknslash
08-16-2020, 12:21 PM
Here’s a spec sheet for the’21 Max my brother in law built at the dealer. When I add up those features to the’20 configurator it turns out about 3000$ more than the’20 with similar specs. Minus the 7” touch screen which is a new option. Anyone else notices this? Am I missing something?https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200816/b059ce948593f1e80f1560c2bd095756.jpg

I have heard rumors Flow 2.0 is standard this year but who knows? I don't know of anyone who would buy these boats without the surf system so they may have made it standard which makes sense IMO. I don't see it on your BIL's build sheet and that would explain half of the $3k difference. Base MSRP prices looks to be about $5,300~ over last year ($66,260 vs $71,600).

Precious Roy
08-16-2020, 06:18 PM
So it sounds like if you would like to upgrade ballast in the future do not order the side storage in the back and the heater options. These will get in the way... is that a correct assumption? Not trying to hijack the thread... thanks

dakota4ce
08-16-2020, 08:11 PM
So it does seem things changed. That's interesting! I can't help but wonder why they didn't increase the bag to be even more since there is a lot of headspace still left in the rear lockers. I wonder if the bag height changed or if it was the length or perhaps both. This might make sense why some of us got bags that seemed too short with the provided hose connections. Maybe the older bags were shorter and had longer hoses to connect the midship. If they made a longer bag and made a shorter hose then this might explain when someone gets an older bag with the newer or shorter hoses that it becomes an issues? There are a few of us on here and on the FB group that had this issue and had to get replacement rear bags that were longer by 8 or more inches. The bags have model numbers on them so perhaps when I hear back from Wakemakers support they can help us identify what bags we have. I think it's kind of important to know when trying to factor in what the total boat displacement is and how to weight the boat from front to rear.

The shortness issue was a an accident. The capacity is changed by height.

dakota4ce
08-16-2020, 08:12 PM
So it sounds like if you would like to upgrade ballast in the future do not order the side storage in the back and the heater options. These will get in the way... is that a correct assumption? Not trying to hijack the thread... thanks

Heater is fine. Skip the trays.

htfit
08-16-2020, 08:37 PM
I thought it was the conclusion there are 2 max rear side tray sizes.

The 2018 max trays that are about 18" deep that won't allow the wake makers ballast upgrade and the 2020 trays that are shallower that do allow you to put the wake makers bag under them.

Not having the trays and having the trays we use them all the time. It is pretty much the only storage left minus under the helm when all the bags are full.

I would be able to confirm one way or the other but the bags have been on back order for weeks now.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

dakota4ce
08-16-2020, 08:39 PM
I thought it was the conclusion there are 2 max rear side tray sizes.

The 2018 max trays that are about 18" deep that won't allow the wake makers ballast upgrade and the 2020 trays that are shallower that do allow you to put the wake makers bag under them.

Not having the trays and having the trays we use them all the time. It is pretty much the only storage left minus under the helm when all the bags are full.

I would be able to confirm one way or the other but the bags have been on back order for weeks now.

With the 1345 bags, no trays. According to Bryan and Wakemakers.

dakota4ce
08-16-2020, 08:40 PM
Remember: 2021 boats now have false floors in the side compartments.

htfit
08-16-2020, 08:49 PM
With the 1345 bags, no trays. According to Bryan and Wakemakers.

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkSeems like moomba made the trays shallower to accomidate them and then they make them larger. Which is good to have the extra weight but hopefully I can still buy the 1200lb bags.

dakota4ce
08-16-2020, 09:16 PM
Seems like moomba made the trays shallower to accomidate them and then they make them larger. Which is good to have the extra weight but hopefully I can still buy the 1200lb bags.

They’re shallower and do supposedly fit the 1200s if you have a set or can get some. But they also purportedly don’t make 1200s anymore. It’s all a bit hard to follow!

I was trying to determine how much taller they could be, and they assured me the 1345 sacks completely fill the compartment. Several people have showed me pics that say otherwise. I could not seem to get him to give me the dimensions to verify, but I believe the users obviously. I will sell the 1345s this winter and pursue the customs that fill it all the way to the top.

DNIXD99
08-18-2020, 01:46 AM
The trays are shallower now, and will accommodate the 1200s......but you have to order them as a custom set from China.....LOL JK I love all this confusion.

dakota4ce
08-18-2020, 09:15 AM
The trays are shallower now, and will accommodate the 1200s......but you have to order them as a custom set from China.....LOL JK I love all this confusion.

Agreed! It’s amusingly confusing. They SWORE the 1345s could not be any bigger. Then I see many pics showing 8” or more of headroom....I just gave up and ordered.

haknslash
08-20-2020, 01:42 PM
Got the email reply from Bryan regarding the confusing WM Max bags. Doesn’t really clear anything up or shed any additional light other than confirm suspicions the bags have evolved since their introduction. Not sure what he means by the ballast and lockers have changed each year. Anyways figured I’d share what he had to say even if it didn’t shed much light than knowing latest versions are 1345 lb. I wished we knew dimensions so I could verify what I have. I guess I could ask for dimensions from him but he may think I’m trying to reverse engineer their products lol. Could bring them up to work to fill and weigh them but that would be such a PITA.

Hi Michael,
The Max upgrade went through a few changes in the first days of the design. Also to throw another wrench into the situation the Max lockers and ballast system changed every year for the Max boat. The overall capacity of this upgrade is 1,885 lbs per side. I will have the website updated. We update, build, design everything in house, and sometimes these details slip through the cracks when we update a product.

Product Manager, OEM/Dealer Sales
Bryan

dakota4ce
08-20-2020, 02:17 PM
Got the email reply from Bryan regarding the confusing WM Max bags. Doesn’t really clear anything up or shed any additional light other than confirm suspicions the bags have evolved since their introduction. Not sure what he means by the ballast and lockers have changed each year. Anyways figured I’d share what he had to say even if it didn’t shed much light than knowing latest versions are 1345 lb. I wished we knew dimensions so I could verify what I have. I guess I could ask for dimensions from him but he may think I’m trying to reverse engineer their products lol. Could bring them up to work to fill and weigh them but that would be such a PITA.

Looks a lot like the conversations I have had with him. Which got me nowhere, essentially. I will see soon where the 1345s end up. My boat is looking good! Should be set on it’s trailer today....I wish I could share pics! I am in love.

FamilyMan
08-20-2020, 04:04 PM
Yeesh, they really did make it confusing. Also, am I the only guy who uses the trays? Beach towels and spray cleaners in the starboard, ropes/buoys in the center, all kids toys (used to be life jackets until I got the marina storage) in the port. No way I would give up that space..... Im already jealous of my buddies G23 pulling out entire surf and wakeboard from the back, insanity IMO. I

feel like a can make any of these new boats waves decent with led and some extra ballast, but what I can't do is add storage.... will make picking the next boat difficult as I am sure stock vs stock the SEs wave is much better than the G25.....but that storage!

larry_arizona
08-20-2020, 05:17 PM
SE’s have a ton of storage.

FamilyMan
08-20-2020, 05:41 PM
SE’s have a ton of storage.

Awesome, cant wait to check one out at a boat show

larry_arizona
08-20-2020, 05:56 PM
Double post.....

larry_arizona
08-20-2020, 05:57 PM
This video shows you the SE storage.

https://youtu.be/KJt3pwLdUGo

haknslash
08-20-2020, 06:28 PM
Looks a lot like the conversations I have had with him. Which got me nowhere, essentially. I will see soon where the 1345s end up. My boat is looking good! Should be set on it’s trailer today....I wish I could share pics! I am in love.

Can’t wait to see it! Please take pics of your bags once filled so we can see the height difference. There was a pic I ran across somewhere a while back I can’t remember if it was on FB, here or somewhere else of a guy standing on the swim deck of a Max with the port rear locker open and his Wakemaker bag was I’d say maybe 8-10” from the top. Makes me think those are the true 1345’s but I can’t find that pic to save my life. I wonder if they would be willing to swap my bags out haha? Yea I don’t think I want to go down that route with the headaches it took just to get bags that fit lol.

dakota4ce
08-20-2020, 06:49 PM
Can’t wait to see it! Please take pics of your bags once filled so we can see the height difference. There was a pic I ran across somewhere a while back I can’t remember if it was on FB, here or somewhere else of a guy standing on the swim deck of a Max with the port rear locker open and his Wakemaker bag was I’d say maybe 8-10” from the top. Makes me think those are the true 1345’s but I can’t find that pic to save my life. I wonder if they would be willing to swap my bags out haha? Yea I don’t think I want to go down that route with the headaches it took just to get bags that fit lol.

Once I am all set up, I will explore the custom bag route over the winter if it seems like I could add a decent amount of weight. If it’s 4-6”, it’s prob not worth it. 10” could be enough to make me jump.

I wish I could share the boat pics. SHE DOPE

sandm
08-20-2020, 07:57 PM
Once I am all set up, I will explore the custom bag route over the winter if it seems like I could add a decent amount of weight. If it’s 4-6”, it’s prob not worth it. 10” could be enough to make me jump.

interested to see what ya bought......
come on with the boat pron...

DNIXD99
08-21-2020, 02:27 AM

I already know youre going to have just enough room to be pissed you dont have customs, but not enough to justify the cost.........LOL

SONIC
08-21-2020, 08:09 AM
What's the cost on the WM kit vs custom bags?
My last boat I just measured the space and had custom FlyHigh sacks built to fill every inch of space about 1500 lbs on one side and 1300 on the other.
850 for both if memory serves.

dakota4ce
08-21-2020, 10:24 AM
What's the cost on the WM kit vs custom bags?
My last boat I just measured the space and had custom FlyHigh sacks built to fill every inch of space about 1500 lbs on one side and 1300 on the other.
850 for both if memory serves.

Not much more for customs. Maybe 25% more?

Dank
11-09-2020, 10:35 PM
I thought white trailer (especially) would be easier to keep clean?? vs. black? what am i missing??

sandm
11-09-2020, 11:58 PM
we have had 2 black, 1 white and 1 orange trailer. the orange was the easiest. 5 years and I don't recall ever really "cleaning" it. first black was from metacraft in slc and trailer was $hit. chipped/rusting and overall garbage after the first season so not a good testament.
our last trailer was white and it was pretty easy to keep clean. current boat is on black and trailer was pretty dirty coming from MN to NV but after I detailed it, we have not really spent any major time cleaning it. I can tell the white would be a tad easier but this one isn't bad. couple wipes down it and looks good.

I think dakota's grey trailer would be a breeze to keep clean. maybe he'll chime in but that grey looks like it would be super easy to hide dirt and waterspots..

Dank
11-10-2020, 02:11 AM

I sure am gonna miss that MAX wave!!

Let's hope the new mojo is as a good!

Isaguel
11-10-2020, 07:49 AM

I sure am gonna miss that MAX wave!!

Let's hope the new mojo is as a good!

I wouldn't worry. Even my '15 Mojo had a great wave and this new one looks like its a deeper hull, more freeboard, and with the new 1:1.75 tranny and extra torque, new prop, you should be able to stack it with even more ballast than I did on my '15 Mojo. Based on my great experience with the '15, and the improvements for the '21, the new wave should be a monster if set up right.

dakota4ce
11-10-2020, 09:25 AM
we have had 2 black, 1 white and 1 orange trailer. the orange was the easiest. 5 years and I don't recall ever really "cleaning" it. first black was from metacraft in slc and trailer was $hit. chipped/rusting and overall garbage after the first season so not a good testament.
our last trailer was white and it was pretty easy to keep clean. current boat is on black and trailer was pretty dirty coming from MN to NV but after I detailed it, we have not really spent any major time cleaning it. I can tell the white would be a tad easier but this one isn't bad. couple wipes down it and looks good.

I think dakota's grey trailer would be a breeze to keep clean. maybe he'll chime in but that grey looks like it would be super easy to hide dirt and waterspots..

Indeed both the boat and trailer wear dirt very well!