PDA

View Full Version : Ballast pump problem - on the water now

Max20
07-30-2020, 03:36 PM
Left ballast will not come on. Switch on the dash lights up and the display shows it filling but the pumps are not on to fill or empty. Thoughts?

2019 Makai

BigOrange
07-30-2020, 04:06 PM
Just search a few days back this week on posts. Some other folks with 2020 models having same problems. I think a component behind the ballast locker panel where the pumps are is shorting out and failing.

BigOrange
07-30-2020, 04:13 PM
https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?35501-2019-Moomba-Max-Ballast-Unresponsive

Max20
07-31-2020, 01:03 AM
Thanks for the link. Not looking good for me. We towed the boat 8 hrs to friends place for a long weekend and have 1/2 the ballast system. I’m not real happy about it

Kirby
07-31-2020, 06:57 AM
This is hitting a lot of us, I've missed two weeks on two separate trips. Sucks.

rockymtnsurfer
07-31-2020, 08:30 AM
This is hitting a lot of us, I've missed two weeks on two separate trips. Sucks.

Do you think its worth us just checking to see if its happening, or wait until we could probably have a issue......makes me what to take off port rear wall and check it
D

Kirby
07-31-2020, 09:06 AM
Do you think its worth us just checking to see if its happening, or wait until we could probably have a issue......makes me what to take off port rear wall and check it
D

Can't hurt. I showed my dealer pictures of what's happening to others, he said mine wasn't bad...yet, but it smelled like it had burnt a little. The first time it happened, we opened up that relay box but didn't notice any smell or melting, but it was definitely malfunctioning. I would just run it.

ghebert1111
07-31-2020, 10:33 AM
Do you have access to fill the left side with a tsunami pump. I've done that several times when I've had issues on the lake. Course I have easy access to my bags.

Kirby
07-31-2020, 01:05 PM
Do you have access to fill the left side with a tsunami pump. I've done that several times when I've had issues on the lake. Course I have easy access to my bags.

I do now! I have the bins above the rear bags, but I figured out how to take them out in about 30s as apposed to the 15 minutes it took me when I thought I had to take the whole bracket off!

Max20
08-01-2020, 11:34 PM
I found a blown fuse and thought for sure the trip was salvaged. Stopped at a store bought a fuse and nothing. Today was the last day on the water, we made the most of it, but I could not surf without the rope and the other couples were really looking forward to it as well. So we wakeboarded, taught them how to get up on a surf board and even did a little skiing. All was not lost but disappointed to say the least and I have to say just a little embarrassing. I’m dropping it at the dealer on our way back home tomorrow evening.

Hoping they can get to it - we have 1 last trip with the kids next weekend before school starts back up.

I do have 500 lbs of lead on its way so maybe, just maybe that will be enough ballast to surf if it’s not fixed before we have to go.

Max20
08-03-2020, 10:54 AM
Boat is at the dealer now and the service department did confirm relays melting into other boats.

Side note - anyone know why they use fuses and not breakers?

996scott
08-03-2020, 01:54 PM
Seems like this is a wide spread issue. Anyone know if Moomba has fixed this problem in the 2021 models? I've got a Craz on order and this has me a little spooked. When the dealer is fixing these what are they doing to ensure it isn't happening again?

macdonaldmike76
08-03-2020, 09:32 PM
D

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200804/b50ed6e37623118ef0e4d2f0b5858626.jpg
This is what I found in my starboard box when that side would empty out. It will fill but not drain. Went to dealer and parts are 7-10 day out so I took it back to the lake so I would have a boat this last weekend

Mike

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rockymtnsurfer
08-04-2020, 08:57 AM
Mike......I looked at mine the other day......just the wires on the outside that had melted for everyone else...(pics) Maybe I should open it up.

Max20
08-05-2020, 10:47 PM
Update: bad ballast pump control module (in everyone’s pics) and they’re back ordered. Super bummed - we’re taking her away again this weekend to my folks and my brother is excited to see it and surf.

I have a 700 lbs fat sac and tsunami pump a buddy is lending me and we will have a full boat so I’m hopeful we will be able to surf a bit.

Anyone know if I can plug the pump into my ballast system somehow??

haknslash
08-05-2020, 11:22 PM
Update: bad ballast pump control module (in everyone’s pics) and they’re back ordered. Super bummed - we’re taking her away again this weekend to my folks and my brother is excited to see it and surf.

I have a 700 lbs fat sac and tsunami pump a buddy is lending me and we will have a full boat so I’m hopeful we will be able to surf a bit.

Anyone know if I can plug the pump into my ballast system somehow??

You could buy some fly high plugs and connector that will work with tsunami pump on wakemakers.

Max20
08-06-2020, 05:06 PM
You could buy some fly high plugs and connector that will work with tsunami pump on wakemakers.

Thanks! A buddy loaned me a 700 lbs fatsac and tsunami pump. Wondering if I can use fittings from the fatsac....I’ll look into it a little bit.

audisnapr
08-06-2020, 05:23 PM
No, the fittings from a FatSac are smaller than the Wakemakers bags on the thread side. Wakemaker does sell a fitting which will fit on the Wakemaker bag and connect to the Tsunami but the fitting right off the fatsac won't screw into the Wakemaker port.

Here's the fitting for the Wakemaker port to the Tsunami pump: https://www.wakemakers.com/launch-pad-fly-high-tsunami-pump-conversion.html

For reference here's the standard FatSac port to Tsunami pump fitting: https://www.wakemakers.com/fly-high-pro-x-series-fitting-w730.html

Same top but different threaded bottom

macdonaldmike76
08-06-2020, 05:31 PM
Thanks! A buddy loaned me a 700 lbs fatsac and tsunami pump. Wondering if I can use fittings from the fatsac....I’ll look into it a little bit.

I tried doing that. My staid pumping in but not out. I have the exact fit bags for the craz and I’ve tried all sorts of different threaded fittings but can’t get anything the work with the tsunami pump. I took out a 3/4 vent plug on one of the vent ports on the back of the bag and you would swear they are the same it still couldn’t get the tsunami fitting to work. Being that I only have to use the tsunami to pump out, I can stick it in the plug on the top of the bag and with some patience I can get it almost completely empty. Big pain though. I’m still waiting on parts as well. They were ordered 9 days ago and still not here. I’m in Saskatchewan Canada

Mike

macdonaldmike76
08-06-2020, 05:32 PM
I tried doing that. My staid pumping in but not out. I have the exact fit bags for the craz and I’ve tried all sorts of different threaded fittings but can’t get anything the work with the tsunami pump. I took out a 3/4 vent plug on one of the vent ports on the back of the bag and you would swear they are the same it still couldn’t get the tsunami fitting to work. Being that I only have to use the tsunami to pump out, I can stick it in the plug on the top of the bag and with some patience I can get it almost completely empty. Big pain though. I’m still waiting on parts as well. They were ordered 9 days ago and still not here. I’m in Saskatchewan Canada

Mike

**system. Not sure how auto correct got that...

macdonaldmike76
08-06-2020, 05:35 PM

I did try putting the tsunami fitting in the stock 900 fatsac and I was able to thread it in no problem. Just wouldn’t work with the WakeMAKERS bag.

Max20
08-08-2020, 12:12 AM
Success - swapped a few things around and was able to fill factory ballast with the external tsunami pump. That will be on my short list to get in case there is another issue down the road.