View Full Version : Need Help With Boat Purchase

dafreak
07-17-2020, 12:08 PM
I am considering three boats. All three are priced within 1K of each other and all under 30K with low hours under 400. This will be our first towboat and we have two teenage girls and one teenage boy. All are novices at wake surfing, wake boarding and skiing. They are accomplished tubers :). We want a versatile boat and our family of 5 regularly spends time with another family of 4. We also have a pontoon and a couple of waverunners and rarely would we all be on the Moomba at the same time. It is important that the boat can be safely operated by the kids. Here is what we are considering, any feedback would be greatly appreciated:

1. 2001 Moomba Kamberra 22V
2. 2004 Moomba Mobius LSV
3. 2007 Moomba Outback v

Thanks!

Stazi
07-17-2020, 12:43 PM
I wouldn’t consider the Kanberra unless skiing is absolutely a must. Get the 2007 if it’s in the best condition compared to the 2004.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MJHSupra
07-17-2020, 02:30 PM
I agree with @stazi. Not sure there is that much of difference in the 2004 Moomba Mobius LSV vs. 2007 Moomba Outback V.
Thus I would go for the newer year b/c I think they changed to EFI around that year.

dafreak
07-17-2020, 02:57 PM
Thank you Stazi and MJHSupra!

sandm
07-17-2020, 03:11 PM
I'd look at the lsv.
outback v, although it MIGHT be injected based on the year, it's a very short boat for 9 people(you say it won't happen but it will as they bring up friends) and the shallow freeboard affect the amount of weight you can put in for surfing. I thought the lsv had a slightly deeper hull. not a ton of difference in height but I thought it was a tad taller.
having had the closest supra to the outback v a 20ft boat is tight for 9 especially with both being 95" beams.
carbed boats vs efi's as long as you keep up on service can be just as reliable.

dafreak
07-17-2020, 03:41 PM
I'd look at the lsv.
outback v, although it MIGHT be injected based on the year, it's a very short boat for 9 people(you say it won't happen but it will as they bring up friends) and the shallow freeboard affect the amount of weight you can put in for surfing. I thought the lsv had a slightly deeper hull. not a ton of difference in height but I thought it was a tad taller.
having had the closest supra to the outback v a 20ft boat is tight for 9 especially with both being 95" beams.
carbed boats vs efi's as long as you keep up on service can be just as reliable.

Now you had to go and do that, didn't you? :cool:

sandm
07-17-2020, 03:50 PM
reality is these boats are shallow under the seats and running a smaller crew to surf you will have bags on the seats/floor. our 20ssv was tight with even 6 in the boat and bags on the seats/floor to surf. we looked at a '07 lsv new but bought the '06 supra and in hindsight back then we wished we would have bought the slightly larger boat.

either way both will bring a lot of family memories. I'd lean toward the lsv but probalby buy the one that's in the better condition.

and we looked at a kamberra as well back then and passed immediately. like stazi said it's a waterski boat and not much else. you will outgrow it after your first season.

MJHSupra
07-17-2020, 06:59 PM
After you have the boat for the first season, you will know if you are OK with the size or want to jump to something bigger. Either of those will be a good start.

Good thing for you, what you buy the boat for this year, you will be able to sell it next year for close to that price if you choose to sell it. Those models have hit the majority of all depreciation. The used boat market is good ALL across the price ranges right now, who knows for next year.

If you are looking at Moomba or Supra lines, you will notice there are generally 3 levels of sizes.
20-21' range
22-23' range
23+ range

I started with the 22 Supra b/c I knew the we would have around 6-8 people onboard
Now the crew is bigger and we have been out with 8, 10+ people with adults and kids.

dafreak
07-17-2020, 10:54 PM
After you have the boat for the first season, you will know if you are OK with the size or want to jump to something bigger. Either of those will be a good start.

Good thing for you, what you buy the boat for this year, you will be able to sell it next year for close to that price if you choose to sell it. Those models have hit the majority of all depreciation. The used boat market is good ALL across the price ranges right now, who knows for next year.

If you are looking at Moomba or Supra lines, you will notice there are generally 3 levels of sizes.
20-21' range
22-23' range
23+ range

I started with the 22 Supra b/c I knew the we would have around 6-8 people onboard
Now the crew is bigger and we have been out with 8, 10+ people with adults and kids.

It is very important to me that the kids can take the boat out by themselves with friends if they want, safely. Our lake is not overly busy or choppy other then on holidays. I just always thought a smaller boat would be better suited for our needs.

sandm
07-18-2020, 11:45 AM
if you're in a confined area such as a tight launch ramp the smaller boats can be a little easier to maneuver but if you have a clear shot out and open lake, no real difference in a 21 or 24ft. when picking up a downed rider I found the 20ssv turned a little easier than the z3 but it's all in what you learn.
think turning around in a miata vs a camaro. both do it but miata is a little easier. if you learn on a camaro you become a pro.

Isaguel
07-18-2020, 05:30 PM
It is very important to me that the kids can take the boat out by themselves with friends if they want, safely. Our lake is not overly busy or choppy other then on holidays. I just always thought a smaller boat would be better suited for our needs.

My daughter would take our Moomba out with her friends just last year, at age 15. She took the boating exam and got her license. She's a good driver. Her and I pull surf sessions together. She does a great job pulling me and picking me up. She also loads the boat onto the trailer flawlessly. Once they learn, I don't think the size of the boat matters too much. Going from a 20 to a 23 is not that hard. The hardest part is really learning the nuances of how to drive an inboard. Once you get it, you're good, unless you move onto a 28-30 footer which has a different behavior due to weight alone.