PDA

View Full Version : Best Price for Lead?

ktenan12
07-16-2020, 10:59 AM
What have you guys found for the best prices on 500lbs. of lead? Who have you purchased from?

Also, has anyone had issues with steel? My biggest concern is corrosion and therefor a mess in the locker. Obviously weight is weight so if steel is cheaper is that the better option?

larry_arizona
07-16-2020, 11:03 AM
Most are $60 a bag including shipping.

Sometimes you get a buy 9 get 10th free.

the good bags have the steel shot in plastic to prevent a rusty mess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC_Hinojosa
07-16-2020, 11:06 AM
Most are $60 a bag including shipping.

Sometimes you get a buy 9 get 10th free.

the good bags have the steel shot in plastic to prevent a rusty mess.

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkYup.

Lead Wake does the 9 bags, 10th free. They also have bags in different colors if that's your thing. [emoji41]

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200716/bdbd6c1b0a29566bcefd472565743666.jpg

Sent from my Note 9 using Tapatalk

larry_arizona
07-16-2020, 11:29 AM
I think I have wake ballast bags.

I also got 10 for the price of 9. It’s was around $560 if I recall.

schwan
07-16-2020, 11:56 AM
If you can wait until Nov, black Friday is your best deal. I did that a few years ago with lead wake

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

RC_Hinojosa
07-16-2020, 12:06 PM
If you can wait until Nov, black Friday is your best deal. I did that a few years ago with lead wake

Sent from my SM-G988U using TapatalkIt's July [emoji23]

Lot of good riding between now & Nov. Not worth holding out IMO.

Sent from my Note 9 using Tapatalk

sandm
07-16-2020, 12:14 PM
bought leadwakes here from dealership. $1/lb. I think they were trying to clear them out at end of season.

the 10 for 9 price is pretty much the standard pricing as it's been that way for a couple of years now. kinda like My Pillow advertising... never changes.

gtsum2
07-16-2020, 12:37 PM
Just bought 10 bags from lead wake. Believe with shipping it was $549 for 500lbs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Surgical_ass
07-16-2020, 02:21 PM
If your looking for cheap you can go to a few local tire shops and ask for their wheel weights. I went this route and ended up with about 300lbs of weight for about $10. I bought bags meant for sand online and filled those up. Takes up a little more room but not a ton. I double bagged because I was afraid the lead would poke thru the bag.

ktenan12
07-16-2020, 02:43 PM
If your looking for cheap you can go to a few local tire shops and ask for their wheel weights. I went this route and ended up with about 300lbs of weight for about $10. I bought bags meant for sand online and filled those up. Takes up a little more room but not a ton. I double bagged because I was afraid the lead would poke thru the bag.

I’ve considered doing this too. My buddy is a mechanic and said he’d give me a handful of buckets full of weights he has sitting around the shop.

larry_arizona
07-16-2020, 02:57 PM
I considered the cheap route too, but now that I have the legit bags, they stack perfect, take up less room and I don’t worry about moving them around the boat interior and risk a scratch or cut to the upholstery etc.

Everyone should have lead to dial in their wake.

larry_arizona
07-16-2020, 03:28 PM
Think of it this way.....lead is cheaper than friends.......LOL

Surgical_ass
07-16-2020, 03:28 PM
I’ve considered doing this too. My buddy is a mechanic and said he’d give me a handful of buckets full of weights he has sitting around the shop.

It is a little more work, but if your not planning to move the bags around much it's a good option. As Larry said, there is a chance of putting a hole in your vinyl so just take your time putting them in and keep a double folded towel under the bags to help you slide across the sundeck.

cardsharp
07-17-2020, 11:55 AM
Another option is to buy empty bags like Roc Sack and then fill them up with sand, gravel, rocks, etc. The empty bags are $25. I have 150lb of lead bags and for some reason a bag of rocks feels "weird" or "unsafe" to me which makes no logical sense when I already use lead and thousands of pounds of water... LOL. Not sure if people like the empty bags but that is a cheaper option.

MJHSupra
07-17-2020, 02:37 PM
^^^^ sand, gravel, rocks, etc ^^^^

That sounds like someone is looking to make a mess on their boat. Someone else posted in a different thread about putting concrete bags onboard - Yikes.

Lead bags for me b/c they are already sealed with an inner liner. Easy-peasy to move around.

larry_arizona
07-17-2020, 05:53 PM
When I was being a tard, I calculated that 50# of pennies was about 9080 cents. The bonus being 100% return on your investment or 90% if you use coin star

But with the current coin shortage, good luck.

sandm
07-18-2020, 11:48 AM
I got 3 oversize bags of coins I have been saving for a minute. I pay for most things with cash and coins go in the jar. figuring there's 3-500bux currently and doesn't count the 3 vehicles that have ashtrays and cubbies full of change.

wonder if I could sell them for above face value in this market :)