PDA

View Full Version : Broke my racks. Help

Isaguel
07-10-2020, 11:34 PM
Need help. I've attached a pic. This happened backing into my garage. I know these racks are sold in parts. You can see in the pick what broke. I'll have to replace the arm and that swiveling part with the pull down release. Question is where to buy them. I have documentation for every part of my boat except the racks and mirror. I believe these are Roswell brand. Had anyone had to buy any rack parts? Where? It was both sides, same damagehttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200711/1ab5a0f4ecbb9e71f07c5f4f008780c6.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC_Hinojosa
07-10-2020, 11:44 PM
If it's the FX One tower, they should be PTM racks.

Roswell standard swivel & Tritons are on Moombas.

Sent from my Note 9 using Tapatalk

Isaguel
07-11-2020, 12:51 AM
Yeah, you're right. I just thought about that after my post. I'll look at PTM website to see if they have any info on parts. So bummed about this.:(:(

larry_arizona
07-11-2020, 08:19 AM
Yeah, you're right. I just thought about that after my post. I'll look at PTM website to see if they have any info on parts. So bummed about this.:(:(

Ouch, that’s a bummer. However, have you considered an insurance claim, it’s a legit accident and new racks and mounts are about $4500.

Isn’t that the purpose of insurance?

My guess is parts alone will be $1000+

Insurance might also cover the damage to your house?

Then sell the good parts of your board racks to recoup your deductible.

Isaguel
07-11-2020, 12:25 PM
Thanks for the suggestion. I'm afraid insurance rates might go up. My deductible is already 1000$. So it may not be a good option overall long term. I damaged the bottom garage door panel. I can replace that easily. I guess it depends on whether I can buy just the damaged parts of the racks vs the whole thing.

larry_arizona
07-11-2020, 01:37 PM
Thanks for the suggestion. I'm afraid insurance rates might go up. My deductible is already 1000$. So it may not be a good option overall long term. I damaged the bottom garage door panel. I can replace that easily. I guess it depends on whether I can buy just the damaged parts of the racks vs the whole thing.

Well the good news is, that is one of those one time mistakes.

Max20
07-12-2020, 09:55 AM
What about a local machine shop?

Isaguel
07-12-2020, 11:09 AM
What about a local machine shop?

Its a really interesting material, thought they were solid aluminum but they are not. The outer coating is gray, powder coated aluminum, I think, but when you look at the inside, at the fractured spot, it is white, almost looks like a porous material. Don't know what it is. Maybe it is aluminum manufacturing process to keep it light weight. Ill post a pic of the fractured piece. So, a machine shop would not have access to this material, because the way it is made, I'm guessing its molded and then dipped, maybe? Dunno. Would be interesting to find out the manufacturing process.

Isaguel
07-12-2020, 11:14 AM
Here's a pic. Have to go on to Tapatalk to post pics. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200712/9207c7db0f622b49dd43ebf4d4025c9a.jpg
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200712/70c2b745c2a4dbb3ca0b5bcafdad11f5.jpg
As you can see. It is white. In fact, it appears to be taking a more grayish color now. It was Stark white when it broke. It's hard to see without a magnifying lens, but the look and the feel to touch is kind of towards a foamy consistency. I don't think aluminum feels or looks like this.

I'm no materials engineer, maybe someone here has knowledge on this.

larry_arizona
07-12-2020, 11:57 AM
Looks like die cast aluminum or possibly powdered metal process.

The PTM racks are a nice piece and let’s us know if replacement parts are available.

Isaguel
07-12-2020, 01:07 PM
I'll keep everyone updated. My sacrifice will lead to a good learning opportunity for the community at large.:cool:

Max20
07-12-2020, 02:03 PM
The replacement part could be made out of 6061 aluminum bar stock and machined down. I would take the other side off and reverse engineer it if it were me. The manufacturer should have a replacement part though if you talk to the right person

DNIXD99
07-12-2020, 02:33 PM
You have me thinking there could be a market for this. I own a machine shop. Surely the manufacturer sells parts.

jcarter20
07-12-2020, 05:12 PM
You have me thinking there could be a market for this. I own a machine shop. Surely the manufacturer sells parts.

There is a market for this. I added ski racks above my clamps on my tower. I had to go to a machine shop to have a spacer made to make them stick out far enough. All of this stuff is ridiculously over priced in my opinion. Don’t get me wrong Roswell and PTM is good stuff, but $4,000 for a set PTM clamps....come on. Of course I paid the money to add them to my Moomba because I didn’t like the Triton option. Had there been an option even $1,000 cheaper, I would have gone for it. I know people who have needed misc. parts / adapters, etc.... and the only option is a local machine shop.

larry_arizona
07-12-2020, 05:52 PM
JL tower speaker clamps for the FXone tower are another item that is unavailable.

MJHSupra
07-12-2020, 10:24 PM
Call PTM, the number is on the web site. Ask for Brandon in customer service. Good dude. Helped me with my PTM mirror. I'm lucky they are local.

Sent from my P00I using Tapatalk

Isaguel
07-13-2020, 01:51 PM
Call PTM, the number is on the web site. Ask for Brandon in customer service. Good dude. Helped me with my PTM mirror. I'm lucky they are local.

You wouldn't happen to remember an ext # for him, would u? Or a last name.

MJHSupra
07-13-2020, 03:00 PM

Let me see if I can find it . . . .

MJHSupra
07-13-2020, 03:18 PM

Jason Blanton. Small company.

Isaguel
08-09-2020, 12:49 AM
Update. Just got my racks back. Thanks to steve Dokter at Nisswa marine. He was able to order the parts and their shop put it together. So stoked to have the boat whole again. Took 4 weeks. Steve contacted Jason from PTM . They had to fit the parts order into their production line so it took a few days. All in all I’m very happy. One thing is the color is slightly mismatched. The powder coat for the Supra parts is slightly lighter than the regular PTM. No biggie.
Here’s a pic of them installed.
If your curious, total cost <350$ installed, for both. A bargain in my opinion. My dealer charged me the same that pTM charged them for the parts , no up charge + some labor.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200809/b1d951f18eb520251860358e19df95a6.jpg

larry_arizona
08-09-2020, 07:12 AM
That is great news. I would say that is a bargain considering the cost of new racks.
Thanks for the update, I am sure this happens more often than we think.

You could get the racks custom powder coated.

Black would look great.

BTW, your interior is awesome.

Isaguel
08-09-2020, 08:19 AM
That is great news. I would say that is a bargain considering the cost of new racks.
Thanks for the update, I am sure this happens more often than we think.

You could get the racks custom powder coated.

Black would look great.

BTW, your interior is awesome.

Absolutely agree. was prepared to pay well over 1 k for the total. I was surprised when they quoted me the price, so went ahead and bought some more lead with the extra cash :cool:.

Thanks, the interior was my daughter's design. I had it built originally black and red, she overruled me and designed this on the site. After living with it, I like this better. Pecan, khaki and fired red cubix.

My dealer said it does happen every so often, especially people pulling into their lifts and forgetting to turn in the racks, ouch. I hope this post helps others who may run into the same predicament.

Lesson learned is, you can't buy these parts separately. PTM does not stock them, nor does Supra or anyone else. If you ever have to repair them, PTM will have to build them to order and fit them into their production line. You will need to go through your dealer though. Another reason take your business to a good dealer. NM has always been awesome to me. Thankfully they're made right in TN. It would be a PITA if they were overseas.

DNIXD99
08-11-2020, 05:50 AM
Thats crazy they dont stock spare parts. I cant believe people get away with doing business like that. You would think the boat manufactures would pressure them to stock parts.

I have one that is broke now. It wont stay locked in place. Im gonna take it apart in the winter, and prob machine my own parts for it. $350 installed sounds like a great deal tho. Id pay that. Only reason Im considering making my own, is because Ill make spares, in case it ever happens again.

Pound
08-11-2020, 11:13 AM
"I have one that is broke now. It wont stay locked in place"

Same here. I have the roswell racks and hit mine pulling into a slip about 2 years ago. I've worked that thing several times and cannot get the pin to stay locked. Roswell sells some kind of "magnetic swivel" thing but a) not sure if that's the right part and b) they're hella expensive.

Isaguel
08-11-2020, 11:39 PM
To be clear. Supra uses PTM racks.
I don't know what the situation is with Roswell stocking parts, they may very well offer them.

DNIXD99
08-12-2020, 12:20 AM
To be clear. Supra uses PTM racks.
I don't know what the situation is with Roswell stocking parts, they may very well offer them.

LOL...I didnt even think about that. Hopefully, one of these will work. https://www.roswellmarine.com/product-category/roswell-board-rack-and-accessories/roswell-board-rack-accessories/swivels/

Isaguel
12-25-2020, 10:05 AM

These look so good. Has anyone powder coated their racks. Where does one go for this.? I'd like to look into pricing.
Every piece is coated. Do they have to disassemble the thing? How about the rubber protecting pads on the tines?

larry_arizona
12-25-2020, 10:16 AM
Powder coaters are everywhere.

You would need to disassemble and mask the mating surfaces for it to be 1st class.

Have had all sorts of powder coating done and it looks outstanding. Brake calipers, headers, guns etc.

MJHSupra
12-25-2020, 03:40 PM
Powder Coating does look great on accent parts. Not sure if I've seen it on PTM racks.

I'm betting there are a quite a few parts on on those racks. Would probably need to buy some new pads, but that is not a big deal.

larry_arizona
12-25-2020, 03:42 PM
The PWT racks have been powder coated black some years.

aliok
12-27-2020, 08:21 PM

MJHSupra
01-03-2021, 03:04 PM
Here is one of the PWT 2020 boats. Black racks.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210103/105935d393cda1833056d629f9e1b304.jpg

larry_arizona
01-03-2021, 03:08 PM
PTM sells racks in 3 color choices.
Black, Silver and Titanium.

Supra only offers the silver option...

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210103/2d01ada5a7c6a29712957d7e10afeb84.jpg

Isaguel
01-03-2021, 04:21 PM
PTM sells racks in 3 color choices.
Black, Silver and Titanium.

Supra only offers the silver option...

Interesting, that explains why the color did not match when I had the parts for my racks replaced. They sent Titanium color. Not that I'm complaining. I'm very happy they were replaced at a very low cost. But if you look closely the color does not match. Oh, well. They work fine.