PDA

View Full Version : Towing with the factory cover

996scott
06-30-2020, 05:48 PM
So i have always had snap down covers on all my boats and i really like them. They are nice and tight, no flapping or rubbing on the boat as you tow. We are going to be ordering a new Craz and i'm wondering how well the new OEM covers will do when towing? Is it going to be flapping around as i'm doing 70mph or is it going to scratch the boat where it is cinched down around the boat? If it's a great fit and won't be a problem i will order it but if it's going to be an issue I will do a snap down after i get the boat. Any help would be appreciated, Thanks.

larry_arizona
06-30-2020, 06:00 PM
Not sure if the moomba covers are similar to the Supra ones,

But the Supra covers are phenomenal. They pull a vacuum at speed and suction to the boat, no buffing or rubbing, water proof and ratchet tight around boat belt line.

Best cover I have ever used.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bteeter
06-30-2020, 06:37 PM
I wouldn’t recommend towing with the cover on at 65+. Dealer says they aren’t good for long towing at highway speeds and I tend to agree. That being said the most I’ve done is around 45 taking my boat across town to our storage place and never had a problem with cover damage or scratching the gel coat

Tommy2slow
06-30-2020, 06:45 PM
I have always tried to tow with the cover off if weather allows. Any buffeting of the cover will leave a mark. If you are towing through bad weather and can’t pull off till things clear off throw it on through the rain.

Isaguel
06-30-2020, 07:00 PM
I do not tow with cover no matter. There are gonna be some spots where the cover vibrates or flaps and it'll do a number on the gel coat. One thing to do is to always have one of those big rolls of saran wrap from Costco in the truck. In a pinch, if you see there's severe weather coming and rain. put saran wrap around all the places of contact and then cover over it. I know it sounds silly but it works. I've heard other boaters recommend that and was kicking myself on sunday as I encountered heavy rain for 30 mins on way home, decided would just let it air dry in the garage rather than throw cover on. And I had been thinking about throwing the roll of Saran wrap in the truck for a while, for JIC, but forgot.

larry_arizona
06-30-2020, 07:55 PM
I have towed 500 miles trips between 70-80 mph cover on with ZERO scratching.

A couple years ago Ragboy towed his Supra SL 4300 miles with no scratching, I will search for his video.

https://youtu.be/gTWZwZwKny8

I swear to you, the Supra covers are outstanding and a must to tow cover on over the tower.

TXSurf4
06-30-2020, 10:16 PM
I can’t say anything for the factory Moomba covers and towing but for about the same money you can get one from Outer Armor which is who makes the Supra cover. It has the same features as the Supra cover as far as creating “suction”. Only part that is different of course is Supras go over the folded tower and Moombas have to wrap around the tower. Haven’t done much towing with it yet but plan to tow with it on. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200701/536d386037ab2be92189f264718b8846.jpg
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200701/544c1f72dcef05ebe315b2106709b3bf.jpg

996scott
06-30-2020, 10:21 PM
Thanks for the info on the Outer Armor, i have not heard of them before. I will have to check them out. We were at the dealer the other day and they had a lot of Supras and Moombas in the service/storage area with the covers on. The Supras for sure are very tight fitting and i could see how they would be great for towing and probably not rub at all. The Moomba cover seemed more of a canvas material, kid of storage cover. I think i will stick with the snap cover seeing that i do a lot towing.

TXSurf4
06-30-2020, 10:34 PM
Thanks for the info on the Outer Armor, i have not heard of them before. I will have to check them out. We were at the dealer the other day and they had a lot of Supras and Moombas in the service/storage area with the covers on. The Supras for sure are very tight fitting and i could see how they would be great for towing and probably not rub at all. The Moomba cover seemed more of a canvas material, kid of storage cover. I think i will stick with the snap cover seeing that i do a lot towing.

They are sold through this company

https://poppycompany.com/

Their website isn’t very good so it is best to reach out to them and they can send pics of the cover on a Craz and tell you pricing.

There are also a few people on here that have gotten covers from Corey at Evolution Covers and they tow with them with no problems. He just didn’t have one for the Makai and then I found the Outer Armer one.

parrothd
06-30-2020, 11:07 PM
I have the snap on cover with my Craz no issues towing 70+. I do remove the front pole.

Isaguel
07-01-2020, 12:51 AM
I have towed 500 miles trips between 70-80 mph cover on with ZERO scratching.

A couple years ago Ragboy towed his Supra SL 4300 miles with no scratching, I will search for his video.

https://youtu.be/gTWZwZwKny8

I swear to you, the Supra covers are outstanding and a must to tow cover on over the tower.

OK, I am sold. I watched the video. I have the same cover. That's good to know. I've been hesitant to tow with cover after I towed back our brand new Bennington pontoon with a cover. There is a small windshield in front of the helm. Towed for about 70 miles, Hwy spped, when I got home the cover had removed the shine off the windshield, left it dull. I was pretty pissed on a brand new pontoon.
But seeing this video, my faith is renewed. I'm sure the cover is different, not as abrasive of a material. Good to know, thx.

RobertJ
07-01-2020, 01:53 AM
If I have to tow with cover, bad weather, I wrap the boat with shrink wrap a few times where the cover touches. Just takes a few minutes, trick my dealer told me, works great.

Surf Wagon
07-01-2020, 07:55 PM
We have a 2017 Craz and after a cushion blew out we've towed with the cover on. 2 years now and I don't notice any scratches in our black hull.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

TXSurf4
07-01-2020, 09:09 PM
We have a 2017 Craz and after a cushion blew out we've towed with the cover on. 2 years now and I don't notice any scratches in our black hull.

Do you have a factory cover? Do you use any plastic wrap on the boat?

Surf Wagon
07-01-2020, 09:13 PM
We have the factory cover and no wrap. Mostly we're only towing around 10 miles but have traveled over 3 hours a few times.

yearround
07-02-2020, 04:20 PM
We have a 19 mondo with the factory cover. i travel local with out the cover, going from garage to the lake. for longer trips, like to lake powell, i cover. We have made 3.5 trips so far, for about 2200 miles, I have not seen any aparant damage, rubbing, etc. In the past, i have had snap covers. i did not want snaps this time so we have stayed with the cover. Though some of the options above look very interesting.

996scott
07-02-2020, 08:40 PM
good to hear yeararond. Yea, i don't love the snaps all along the boat but i love towing with a snap cover. Absolutely now flapping or rubbing at all. I will have to talk to the dealer and see what he says about towing with the new covers. It would be about $400 cheaper to get the the OEM cover compared to the snap so it would be nice to save a little money that way.

TXSurf4
07-02-2020, 10:04 PM
We have a 19 mondo with the factory cover. i travel local with out the cover, going from garage to the lake. for longer trips, like to lake powell, i cover. We have made 3.5 trips so far, for about 2200 miles, I have not seen any aparant damage, rubbing, etc. In the past, i have had snap covers. i did not want snaps this time so we have stayed with the cover. Though some of the options above look very interesting.

What color is your boat?

TXSurf4
07-02-2020, 10:16 PM
good to hear yeararond. Yea, i don't love the snaps all along the boat but i love towing with a snap cover. Absolutely now flapping or rubbing at all. I will have to talk to the dealer and see what he says about towing with the new covers. It would be about $400 cheaper to get the the OEM cover compared to the snap so it would be nice to save a little money that way.

If I was to do it again I would order my boat without the OEM cover and just buy one from Outer Armor or Evolution out the gate. Now I have a factory Makai cover that I am going to try to sell. Lol

Not sure when your spray date is for your boat but you might have time to get a cover from Evolution and if not Outer Armor is fast. Corey at Evolution is usually a few months backed up but worth checking with and if he is backed up and you need it sooner Outer Armor is about 2 weeks delivered if I remember correctly.

996scott
07-02-2020, 11:22 PM
i went to Outer Armors website and it looked like you have to go through a local dealer to get one. Am i mistaken on that?

TXSurf4
07-02-2020, 11:44 PM
i went to Outer Armors website and it looked like you have to go through a local dealer to get one. Am i mistaken on that?

Originally I contacted Outer Armor directly and they got me in contact with Poppy Company as they are their distributor. You can email or call them and they are very responsive. They will send you pictures of the cover so you can see it on a the boat. Their website doesn’t show Moombas as an option but they do make them. Here is the website.

https://poppycompany.com/

996scott
07-03-2020, 07:21 PM
awesome, thanks.

TXSurf4
07-06-2020, 08:22 PM
So after doing some towing this weekend with the cover and paying a little better attention it definitely doesn’t flap around at all. As stated before it pulls a vacuum with the 2 ports on the top and it is definitely noticeable as the cover pulls down in front and behind the windshield the faster you go. It fits very snug and trailers awesome!! https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200707/9d2bd1324335480e85295ef9911f3a4c.jpg
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200707/797327bd8f34d0daaeabe540134bd7aa.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalkhttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200707/2e674cf62c59a67ccdad03a6d09f673f.jpg

This photo is it when being towed at about 50 mph
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200707/89df443a8d702e13f78bc0f56e0de5a3.jpg

FamilyMan
07-06-2020, 11:40 PM
Just towed mine three hours, 70-75mph and no flapping. Same thing with stock moomba cover, sucks in really well.

996scott
07-07-2020, 12:00 AM
texsur4, so is yours the "mooring cover" that is on Outer Armor's web site? It looks like a great cover. Did you just order one that is pre made for the Makai? Looks like it fits like a glove.

rockymtnsurfer
07-07-2020, 07:55 AM
TXSURF4

I tow with same cover every time we go to the lake.......cover is terrific. My only concern every time is: How tight should I keep going on the ratchet:) Obviously you know what I am talking about....and its not the concern of the strap, but rather the two midship plastic clips. I always think I might break them if I go too tight, but I also know and was told when I bought it, to go tight and not loose so all the slack is out of the cover. Whats your thought?

On another note, I was concerned when driving 5 hrs away, I could see windshield outline in the cover from my rear view mirror. I was nervous the cover might wear on the fold open windshield area.......so now I put a piece of tubing insulator...the foam cell type, over that area during towing. It makes me personally feel better, but curious if anyone else got nervous over it?

This is the best cover I have had before, so the last thing I want to do is destroy it!

TXSurf4
07-07-2020, 10:17 AM
texsur4, so is yours the "mooring cover" that is on Outer Armor's web site? It looks like a great cover. Did you just order one that is pre made for the Makai? Looks like it fits like a glove.

Yes it is their "mooring cover". The factory one is a "mooring cover" as well. I reached out to them and other cover manufactures right when I ordered my boat and they didn't have the pattern for it yet so I had to get the factory cover. A year later I was tired of towing without a cover so I reached back out and they were the only ones who had the pattern and they had already sold/made a bunch. They sent me some photos of it on a few different Makais and I was sold! They have the pattern for the Craz as well so yes it is "pre made" but they are made to order and it fits like a glove.

TXSurf4
07-07-2020, 10:26 AM
TXSURF4

I tow with same cover every time we go to the lake.......cover is terrific. My only concern every time is: How tight should I keep going on the ratchet:) Obviously you know what I am talking about....and its not the concern of the strap, but rather the two midship plastic clips. I always think I might break them if I go too tight, but I also know and was told when I bought it, to go tight and not loose so all the slack is out of the cover. Whats your thought?

On another note, I was concerned when driving 5 hrs away, I could see windshield outline in the cover from my rear view mirror. I was nervous the cover might wear on the fold open windshield area.......so now I put a piece of tubing insulator...the foam cell type, over that area during towing. It makes me personally feel better, but curious if anyone else got nervous over it?

This is the best cover I have had before, so the last thing I want to do is destroy it!

You have an Outer Armor for your Max?! That is awesome!!! I make sure my cover is good an snug when I tow with it. That being said I don't ratchet it until it wont ratchet any more but I make sure it is darn tight! I haven't really had any concerns about the cover wearing as it has extra material and stitching around the windshield area as well as other "high stress" areas and it doesn't move or flap at all but that is a great idea around that part of the windshield for some extra piece of mind.

996scott
07-07-2020, 10:27 AM
thanks again for the info, really appreciate it.

rdlangston13
07-07-2020, 10:27 AM
Yes it is their "mooring cover". The factory one is a "mooring cover" as well. I reached out to them and other cover manufactures right when I ordered my boat and they didn't have the pattern for it yet so I had to get the factory cover. A year later I was tired of towing without a cover so I reached back out and they were the only ones who had the pattern and they had already sold/made a bunch. They sent me some photos of it on a few different Makais and I was sold! They have the pattern for the Craz as well so yes it is "pre made" but they are made to order and it fits like a glove.

I really like how yours has the access for the cleats and the fuel door. It suchs having to take the cover half off at gas station on the way to the lake.

TXSurf4
07-07-2020, 10:31 AM
thanks again for the info, really appreciate it. Ya no problem. Let me know if you have any other questions.

I really like how yours has the access for the cleats and the fuel door. It suchs having to take the cover half off at gas station on the way to the lake. Ya it is very nice! I know you were talking to Corey about adding them to yours. Did you ever have it done?

rockymtnsurfer
07-07-2020, 11:17 AM
sounds like we are on the same page! Thanks

yearround
07-07-2020, 07:15 PM
What color is your boat?

White/grey/black https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200707/2ea5a964576f48039f53c958b4679292.jpg

rdlangston13
07-08-2020, 01:01 PM
Ya it is very nice! I know you were talking to Corey about adding them to yours. Did you ever have it done?

We had some slits cut in over the cleats and fuel fill with some zippers. It works well on the cleats but the fuel fill was pretty useless. I wanted the rubber covers like what your cover has but i never could find them anywhere

TexTgrTed1
08-05-2020, 09:20 PM
I’ve never felt comfortable towing with a cover on.

Not sure what the benefit is.

parrothd
08-05-2020, 10:15 PM

Seat or other stuff can fly out and protects everything inside your boat. Like surf boats and gear.

larry_arizona
08-05-2020, 10:41 PM

Keeps the boat interior clean, waterproof, UV protection etc.

haknslash
08-05-2020, 11:30 PM
I towed all last year with the cover on and never an issue. I just made sure it was very tight so it wouldn't flap around. The advantages of the cover keep bugs from splattering on the vinyl, rocks and debris chipping or scratching your glass, keeps cushions and gear from flying out, get caught in a storm it's a non-issue, UV protection... the benefits go on and on IMO. We don't tow with the cover on these days because boat is stored just down the road from the lake otherwise if we go to another lake the boat will get covered.

https://i.imgur.com/AFvmmmg.jpg