PDA

View Full Version : weekend boat shopping

sandm
06-29-2020, 03:24 PM
well... we came to the realization with our current boat that at 23+ft it was just too big. we don't roll with a big crew and half the time it's just the 2 of us to get out and enjoy some sun. this boat was a monster so we decided to move down in size. listed the boat last monday and sold in an hour. should be in minnesnota about now to start eroding some more shorelines :)

that said we decided to brave the next pandemic hot spot and headed to phoenix for the weekend to boat shop. vegas only has a bu/axis dealer(axis is crap imo) and a nautty/supreme dealer. we are in the "value" boat market as all the added crap on boats today is just not needed for us.
phx is looking to be the next ground zero for covid and everywhere we went- malls, restaurants, cstores people were masked up EXCEPT 2 of the 3 boat dealers. doesn't bother us but interesting to see that.

that said we were out to shop the following: mb 21/22ft, supreme zs212, moomba kaiyen and atx 22. axis, as mentioned, did not appeal to me on the one I sat in buying an oil filter a few months ago and nxt is not for us.

we did not water test anything as this was more to touch/feel the boats and see what they are offering. that and the line at the ramp on saturday is almost 2 hrs long. none of the dealers do water tests on friday/saturday anymore. here's our takeaways from the weekend of fun.........

first stop was the mb dealer. all their boats were sold but they had a 21 and 22 tomcat to walk thru. only dealer that was masked up everywhere. salesman was extremely knowledgeable and easy to chat with.
pros- fit and finish/materials were tied for top of the bunch. tower folded extremely easily. seats had quite a bit of padding and were very comfortable. fixed the old electronic gate system with a cable system. dealer said zero service issues. ballast was quickest filling of the bunch. seats are all hinged.
cons- steering wheel was too thin. tower is love/hate. looks like an erector set. storage under seats was shallow. some would view this as a positive as you don't have to dig for stuff but it's not deep(felt like my old supra 20ssv). had sundeck walk over but no step in the middle of the seat below(dealer said they order the pad from nautique and have them installed occasionally). touchscreen is out of date compared to other offerings(same one that was on my buddies mondo in '14). limited dealer support and not a big presence across the US could limit resale down the road.

second stop was supreme dealer. the only supreme on the lot was a zs212 being detailed for a 1pm delivery. we could not step foot on the boat which I get but they refused to get a set of steps to look inside. boat is crazy tall- tallest of the bunch on a trailer and heavy. salesman was an arse and as soon as we figured out it's too tall for the garage he lost interest, left us and was on to the next customer. no input on the boat other than it was super deep. did tell us that an order that weekend would likely be a november delivery. that also told us he didn't want to sell us a boat.

third stop was atx/moomba dealer. salesman was good to talk to and understood the market well. We started with atx as there were 2 in the showroom.
Atx pros- all 3 dealers said atx would surf the best out of the box stock. add weight to the others and it's a more even match but factory ballast atx wins. boat is SUPER deep. tons of storage. touchscreen was the best of the bunch. tower was the easiest to fold down. 1 handed job for your wife.
cons- super deep meaning stuff will get lost/shuffling to find something. upholstery was the "cheapest" of the bunch feeling and none of the seats were hinged. felt like a budget boat, not a value boat. no sundeck walk over but it's coming for 2021. lots of plastic around the drivers seat.

moomba kayien- to be fair this boat didn't get a good shake until we got home. the boat they had left was equipped with the stock tower. folded this boat easily needs a 9ft door. salesman who sold both lines said he specialized in skiers choice but he never mentioned that the pro tower upgrade would get us under an 8ft door so we didn't really give the kayien as much of a thorough once over. I will say the factory tower was the worst to fold down of the 3 and the only one using a cable vs a direct gas shock hookup(atx) or gas shock and gear setup(mb). didn't care for the cable setup. I believe the pro tower option will put the kayien in the hunt with the other 2 AND fit our garage..
pros- upholstery was tied with mb for the best of the bunch. moomba felt just as good and in some respects a little better. all seats were hinged. walk over sundeck was the best of the bunch. touchscreen was as nice as atx. tower position was perfect stepping off the sundeck.
cons- factory tower folding was worst of the bunch. who came up with the brilliant design to put the phone location on top of the dash directly under the windshield in the sun? that would bake several phones a year here in the desert. still not a fan of moomba drivers seats. surf tabs had 4 actuators. felt like overkill(expenses down the road). the other boats are using gsa.

I'm sure there's a lot more that I could type here but overall our takeaway to order a new boat, moomba or mb would get the dough.

we're still not sure if buying now is the right thing as I believe there's going to be a lot of boats for sale used late this year and early 2021 but you can't put a price on the lost time waiting for a deal to save a few grand.

we're building a few boats and going to send off for some pricing to see where they land.

maybe Rick T will put in a good word for an OG looking to get back into a skiers product :) :)

Surf Wagon
06-29-2020, 03:51 PM
Keep us posted on this. We're in the same situation and been concidering down sizing as well. However with everything going on may just keep the 23fter.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

996scott
06-29-2020, 04:16 PM
Good luck sandm and let us know how it goes. We will be getting a new boat either later this year or early next year. We have narrowed it down to the Craz or the Kaiyen. We really like them both but am probably leaning toward the Craz. I like the traditional shape of the Craz and it's less expensive than the Kaiyen (although not by a lot). I do love the walk through on the Kaiyen and the fit and finish is a little nicer. Like you, i need to get it in my 8 ft garage and everyone i have talked to and everything i have read says you need the Pro tower to do that. The A3 sits too tall when it is folded down. I have exactly 94 inches to clear and even with the Pro tower i am worried it won't fit. I will have to remove the racks and probably let some air out of the tires to get it in ( fingers crossed ). Fortunately the Craz can be ordered with the Pro tower but it's a $4k upgrade which is crazy. My dealer said that next month the new 2021 info should be on the website and then you can build one out. He said even it i order later this year I should be able to get "boat show pricing" instead of waiting until next year. Not sure how true this is but if he will give me 5% or more off ordering a new boat i will probably jump on it this year. I'd love to get 10% off but i doubt that can be done ordering one. One sitting on the lot left over, probably. But ordering i doubt it.

larry_arizona
06-29-2020, 04:29 PM
Get a used Supra, they fit in an 8 foot garage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sandm
06-29-2020, 05:51 PM
Get a used Supra, they fit in an 8 foot garage.

granted every boat is different but our last was used and left a sour taste in our mouth for that. if I could see/touch/feel a boat prior to committing then fine but in this current market that isn't going to happen so we are not shopping used at this point.
never know what will change in the future but today, no bueno......

MJHSupra
06-29-2020, 09:14 PM
sandm - what was your last boat you sold in 1 hour?

Congrats on that.

sandm
06-29-2020, 11:35 PM
'14 z3. it was probably priced a few grand too cheap but we sold it for basically what we paid for it. good deal was had by both.
dude from midwest was first to call but had 3 callers from cali within 5 hours that all said had cash and would be here in 6hrs to buy. boat market is extremely hot right now.

MJHSupra
06-30-2020, 09:46 AM
boat market is extremely hot right now.

Been reading about stories like yours. I figure most people will ride this as the 2021s are coming out and more people start to move around.
The local SC dealer was loaded with new and used boats about 2 months ago. Not anymore.

Best method of selling - good deal for both parties.

larry_arizona
06-30-2020, 09:53 AM
I plan to put mine for sale in August.

MJHSupra
06-30-2020, 08:02 PM
Quote from Onlyinboards:

“Good lord, boat sales this year are insane. In March there were over 5200 boats for sale on OnlyInboards and now there are less than 2000. Keep in mind that about 20 boats are added each day. I am seeing boats that are priced from 30-70k sell in just a few hours. I've never seen anything like it”

larry_arizona
06-30-2020, 08:09 PM
Very few Supras for sale right now.

sandm
06-30-2020, 08:28 PM
it's going to be real interesting to see what happens over the next year. I see a glut of boats on the market next year. one of the guys we spoke with in phx is bracing for a flood of private sale boats next year and thinking dealer sales are going to be slow.

I can see that if covid is on the downhill. if covid is still rampant into next year it'll be another banner year for boat sales with nothing else for anyone to do.

there's 1960 listings but a piece of those are not still active, just not deleted.
'bu/axis 664
mc 495
nautty 300
tige/atx 178
skiers ch 106

2in2out
06-30-2020, 08:48 PM
Sandm,

I’m curious as to what you find. Reno is also devoid of Supra/Moomba dealers, closest being in Hayward or Boise. I would like to know your comparison between the SA and Makai.

I’ve been looking at these two, and prefer the SA due to finishes, but budget and reality make me think the Makai is going to win out with the Mrs., except I showed her the Bimini set-up videos, and she said the SA wins.

We are looking to upgrade from a 2017 Sanger 215sx. It was our first boat, and we didn’t really know what we wanted, we just new what our budget could support. And after injuring both shoulders at work, and my wife injuring her neck, surfing is really the only activity we can enjoy. The SX just can’t get enough push with my fat ass on a board, and last weekend we had 8 peeps in the boat (1st time we’ve been over 6 on crew), and it was cramped.

So, as I said, I’m real curious as to your assessment when you get to view the Supra.

sandm
06-30-2020, 11:08 PM
2in,
I won't be much help to ya. we are not interested in spending supra monies on a new whip so not looking at them. the extra monies shelled out don't buy options that we find value to especially when we only put 40 or 60 hrs a year on a boat. that's a lot of additional monies for not a lot of time. our top end is 100k and although that would get us a used boat, not looking to go that route this time.
reach out to tyrell at prestige. I assume that's where your sanger came from? he's a good guy and if a repeat buyer will help ya out.
I know a guy in lake havasu that has a makai coming from 2 tiges and loves it. we really liked the kaiyen and it's the little bro to the makai.
I can say if you list the sanger now, you will get top dollar. there's a pretty nice makai down in phx for sale right now but it won't last.

996scott
07-01-2020, 12:07 PM
Quote from Onlyinboards:

“Good lord, boat sales this year are insane. In March there were over 5200 boats for sale on OnlyInboards and now there are less than 2000. Keep in mind that about 20 boats are added each day. I am seeing boats that are priced from 30-70k sell in just a few hours. I've never seen anything like it”

So why is this? What is causing the "shortage" of available boats for sale? Maybe due to people who would normally be selling to upgrade are deciding because of the current economic down turn they will hold on to what they have?

smitty75
07-01-2020, 12:36 PM
2in,
I won't be much help to ya. we are not interested in spending supra monies on a new whip so not looking at them. the extra monies shelled out don't buy options that we find value to especially when we only put 40 or 60 hrs a year on a boat. that's a lot of additional monies for not a lot of time. our top end is 100k and although that would get us a used boat, not looking to go that route this time.
reach out to tyrell at prestige. I assume that's where your sanger came from? he's a good guy and if a repeat buyer will help ya out.
I know a guy in lake havasu that has a makai coming from 2 tiges and loves it. we really liked the kaiyen and it's the little bro to the makai.
I can say if you list the sanger now, you will get top dollar. there's a pretty nice makai down in phx for sale right now but it won't last.

Have you priced out an new Supra SR? I had a 2017 (just sold it to someone in Texas who will hopefully be joining the forum), and the boat was awesome with zero issues. I don't know where the 2020/2021 will price out at, but if you left out a few options I would think you could get close to your number. Just something to consider if you are good with a 21' boat as I would put it up front with any other boat in that size category in terms of fit/finish and overall performance. I think the SR also holds value well, as a lot of people have lake restrictions and it's about the best boat you can get in that size.

korey
07-01-2020, 12:45 PM
Quote from Onlyinboards:

I have considered selling now, sitting the rest of this season out, and upgrading at boat show time because of this. It seems like boat season is fighting me (trying to keep business afloat during lean times in manufacturing) this year, but I haven't been boatless for more than 2 weeks for... 14 years now! I'd have to buy something in the interim.

sandm
07-01-2020, 02:38 PM
996scott, the dealers all told us that they are seeing more first time owners with the rest of the world shut down. those that would normally be doing other activities in the summer are putting the cash into boats. couple said they think people will get sick of the 2hour long lines at some ramps on fri/sat and the devotion/cost to the activity and will see a lot of boats coming up for sale over the winter and early next spring.
I do not think next spring is going to be a normal spring either. 2022 will be the best time to shop after some dealers load up on wakeboats expecting 2021 to be even better and it doesn't materialize.
or 2021 is another banner year and prices continue to escalate.
either way there's a market correction that will happen.

and smitty, we called on a couple sr's still on dealer lots thinking there might be some deals to be had. they are still in the 120-130 range.

MJHSupra
07-01-2020, 04:47 PM
It's July 1st, 2021s are around the corner. That will dent the prices as some dealers will have 2020s sitting next to 2021s.

DNIXD99
07-02-2020, 01:08 AM
Boats, Bicycles, and Workout Equipment will flood the used market once things are back to normal.

sandm
07-14-2020, 06:33 PM
update.....

we built a few boats and after a lot of discussion over a few drinks, we ruled out the mb based on resale down the road and the overall lack of newer features.
built a kaiyen and sent it off to the dealer start of last week for pricing.
fast forward 5 days to last friday early am and perusing onlyinboards as I do a few times each day(during this market it's a must) and am sad to say we stumbled on what we think was a steal on a 2020 new boat and pulled the trigger. wired the cash this morning and now waiting for delivery info over the next day or 2-eta is 27th at the latest.

not wanting to be back in a 23ft again but thinking costs and resale, we inked on a 2020 tige r23(a little reluctantly I must add). only things it didn't have were 18's on the trailer, tower speaker/2nd amp setup, shower, surfpipe and steering wheel with controls but has everything else and came in at 81.5k all in before tax. nothing else we looked at was even close to that price for the features and having gsa it should be a surf machine. ANY new 21+ft boat at 80k right now is a steal and we couldn't pass this up.

We really liked the kaiyen and for the monies, it's what we decided was the best of what we saw out there with the features and options we were looking for. skiers choice and Rick T's team should be very proud of what they have built.... hands down better than mb/supreme/atx.
was a fun process to go look at new boat candy again and frankly if we would have been an hour later on calling we would be inking on a new kaiyen.

crazy times out there to be buying and selling for sure.

larry_arizona
07-14-2020, 07:26 PM
Congrats, any pics of the Tige?

jph3
07-14-2020, 07:46 PM
I put my Helix up for 12 hours and had 4 offers, all over asking price. Should have sold it, but my wife didn’t want me spending the time trying to find the next deal :)

Too bad on the atx, looked like a nice boat and they just introduced a 20-footer.

larry_arizona
07-14-2020, 08:25 PM
Just need this market to stay semi hot 3 more weeks lol

sandm
07-14-2020, 08:46 PM
no pics until it comes in. by the 27th.

atx was nice but not for us. it didn't feel in the same league as the others. 2021 has upgrded sunpads with walkovers, different dash bezels and a few other things that from what I heard REALLY makes it a different boat but this boat was 10k less than an atx we had worked up.

larry- 2021's start hitting the lots and wonder if the market will cool at tad. it's after the 4th so for some states boating should be on the downhill but if kids aren't going back to school, no HS sports and pro sports is a $hitshow this year lakes could be packed thru october and boat sales might still be hot..

larry_arizona
07-14-2020, 09:08 PM
Rolling the dice, but can’t quit boat season this soon. Trip planned.

mgswake
07-14-2020, 10:31 PM
Just need this market to stay semi hot 3 more weeks lol

Are you upgrading to a 2021?

smitty75
07-14-2020, 10:34 PM
[QUOTE=larry_arizona;354928]Rolling the dice, but can’t quit boat season this soon. Trip planned.

I can tell you that being boatless sucks, even if just for a few weeks. I think we are now 3 weeks in, and probably another 4-5 weeks to go before our new ride hopefully shows up. We still have a fishing boat up on Lake Erie if I need a fix though. Only good thing about it is I finally have time to finish a garage build that has been mostly sitting since March.

Hope the new owners are enjoying the SR, it was a great boat. Are you sticking with Supra once you sell the SA?

larry_arizona
07-15-2020, 06:24 AM
[QUOTE=larry_arizona;354928]Rolling the dice, but can’t quit boat season this soon. Trip planned.

I can tell you that being boatless sucks, even if just for a few weeks. I think we are now 3 weeks in, and probably another 4-5 weeks to go before our new ride hopefully shows up. We still have a fishing boat up on Lake Erie if I need a fix though. Only good thing about it is I finally have time to finish a garage build that has been mostly sitting since March.

Hope the new owners are enjoying the SR, it was a great boat. Are you sticking with Supra once you sell the SA?

If all goes well, building a 2021 SA. If it doesn’t work out, I am thrilled to stay with my 2018 SA.

Max20
07-15-2020, 08:51 AM
update.....

we built a few boats and after a lot of discussion over a few drinks, we ruled out the mb based on resale down the road and the overall lack of newer features.
built a kaiyen and sent it off to the dealer start of last week for pricing.
fast forward 5 days to last friday early am and perusing onlyinboards as I do a few times each day(during this market it's a must) and am sad to say we stumbled on what we think was a steal on a 2020 new boat and pulled the trigger. wired the cash this morning and now waiting for delivery info over the next day or 2-eta is 27th at the latest.

not wanting to be back in a 23ft again but thinking costs and resale, we inked on a 2020 tige r23(a little reluctantly I must add). only things it didn't have were 18's on the trailer, tower speaker/2nd amp setup, shower, surfpipe and steering wheel with controls but has everything else and came in at 81.5k all in before tax. nothing else we looked at was even close to that price for the features and having gsa it should be a surf machine. ANY new 21+ft boat at 80k right now is a steal and we couldn't pass this up.

We really liked the kaiyen and for the monies, it's what we decided was the best of what we saw out there with the features and options we were looking for. skiers choice and Rick T's team should be very proud of what they have built.... hands down better than mb/supreme/atx.
was a fun process to go look at new boat candy again and frankly if we would have been an hour later on calling we would be inking on a new kaiyen.

crazy times out there to be buying and selling for sure.

Hey congrats on the new ride! Looking forward to seeing pics when you get it. I know the next 2 weeks are going to be a LONG wait!

smitty75
07-15-2020, 10:55 AM
[QUOTE=larry_arizona;354943][QUOTE=smitty75;354932]

If all goes well, building a 2021 SA. If it doesn’t work out, I am thrilled to stay with my 2018 SA.

Especially with the sweet stereo system in your 2018... I went with the 4 towers in this build, figured just get it done from the start this time. Any idea what you are going to ask for your 2018? You can probably get what you paid or it or close to it right now. We initially just wanted a 16 or newer SA, then decided we wanted the walk through so looked for a used 19, then decided we wanted wanted the new hull and sub floor. Plus the used 19's were going for almost as much as a new 2020/2021.

Tgardner917
07-15-2020, 09:50 PM
I've been looking for a Makai and they are no where to be found! It's the craziest market I've ever seen. I had a tritoon I sold last weekend in 12 hours!

If anyone knows of a Makai for sale (Blue, Green or Orange) within 600 miles of VA let me know! hahaha

smitty75
07-15-2020, 10:17 PM
I've been looking for a Makai and they are no where to be found! It's the craziest market I've ever seen. I had a tritoon I sold last weekend in 12 hours!

If anyone knows of a Makai for sale (Blue, Green or Orange) within 600 miles of VA let me know! hahaha

Why don't you open your search distance up, I'd be happy to go grab a boat for ya. Dropped of a motorcycle for a guy last weekend, drove from SC to PA for $1,000. Might make a little side job out of this since everyone is throwing money around like that. Crazy market for sure though.

Tgardner917
07-15-2020, 10:25 PM
Why don't you open your search distance up, I'd be happy to go grab a boat for ya. Dropped of a motorcycle for a guy last weekend, drove from SC to PA for $1,000. Might make a little side job out of this since everyone is throwing money around like that. Crazy market for sure though.

Smitty... thanks for the offer! I thought 600 miles was wide open range but you are right I might need to think/look farther. If I find one I’ll let you know! :)

sandm
07-15-2020, 10:52 PM
fyi tgardner,

my old boat went from vegas to minneapolis. current boat is coming from almost 3x your 600 mile distance from a new dealer.

dunno what it cost to get from here to there(heard kid paid $1300) but boat coming back is $1500 for anti chafing prep and then transport fees.

I would say expand your search IF you are looking for a 2020 leftover. if 2021, see what pops up closer as they are starting to show up on dealer lots.

larry_arizona
07-16-2020, 07:57 AM
1500 to transport a boat cross country is very reasonable.

DNIXD99
07-16-2020, 03:34 PM
So when does sandm get banned??? :)

Surf Wagon
07-16-2020, 04:23 PM
So when does sandm get banned??? :)Lol he's been here for 12 years, life time membership

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

bergermaister
07-16-2020, 04:44 PM
I'll wait til he tries to post pics - then ban him. :cool:

sandm
07-16-2020, 04:49 PM
ok ok ok... enough waiting. boat showed up a week early so here ya go and berg, now that you are having to get the banstick out it's been fun!!!!

I liked the 2001 mobius so much I copied the color.....

https://i.pinimg.com/236x/d4/33/9b/d4339b619ce2f3172a65d390880d1ca3--wooden-shoe-the-netherlands.jpg

DNIXD99
07-16-2020, 04:58 PM
LOL...Congrats on the New Whip. Ive always liked Tige. Looking forward to seeing the pics.

Isaguel
07-17-2020, 07:38 AM
Yes, Agree, I like the Tige also. Especially the interior. The stitching and upholstry work looks very high end. I think it comes standard with 4k lbs ballast? My brother in law has been shopping for one and we found a blue/white with metalic blue main panel, 2016 zx23 on a local Malibu dealer lot on a Sunday, a trade in. He called on Monday and it was already sold. Inventory does not last long around here and you have to be on your toes, maybe have loan pre-approved or cash ready to go. Its crazy.