PDA

View Full Version : New Sudden Vibration??

aerolland
06-25-2020, 09:46 AM
Spent the night last night surfing, boat ran under load for ~4hrs with no problems other than a blip in fuel pump pressure - damn relay...

While idling back to the dock we felt what we thought was the prop picking up a stray rope. We were ~200 yards away from the landing so we kept idling to it. At one point I throttled up slightly and the vibration increased and became severe. Pulled the boat out expecting to see a wrap around the prop but there was nothing there! Inspected everything under the boat:

cutlass bearing - in place and no play

prop - no sign of striking anything and no bends, nothing that appeared significant enough to cause that kind of vibration

shaft - intact, no bend, rotates with normal resistance

Once home I thought about the coupler bolts behind the V-drive - they are all in place and tight. All mounts (V-Drive, Tranny) are tight. If the flex plate began to break, could that cause what I was feeling? Do they break at idle conditions???

What should I look for next? Any chance it picked something up like a rope and when it stopped turning it shed it? Odd....

Stazi
06-25-2020, 10:30 AM
Could have been a clump of weeds that eventually shredded. That will do the same thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

aerolland
06-25-2020, 11:06 AM
Could have been a clump of weeds that eventually shredded. That will do the same thing.

Clean lake that doesn't have much if any growth like that, and was in the main channel at the time. :confused:

Stazi
06-25-2020, 05:28 PM
If it’s gone now it could have been anything, even a bag

aerolland
06-25-2020, 06:02 PM
If it’s gone now it could have been anything, even a bag

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkSince I assumed it was a line of some sort, I pulled the boat out. after I found nothing there I should have put it back in and tested but it was late. I guess I'll have to make a special run to the lake to test. Could a bag really do that?? I would think the prop just tear right through it

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

parrothd
06-25-2020, 06:34 PM
Since I assumed it was a line of some sort, I pulled the boat out. after I found nothing there I should have put it back in and tested but it was late. I guess I'll have to make a special run to the lake to test. Could a bag really do that?? I would think the prop just tear right through it

Yep, bag or weeds..

aerolland
06-25-2020, 06:56 PM
If I kept water flowing against the cutlass bearing and while on a fakealake, you think I could spin prop on trailer to test?

Stazi
06-25-2020, 08:00 PM
No. It won’t show up without it being actually in the water.