PDA

View Full Version : $400k wakeboat mistake

larry_arizona
06-23-2020, 02:26 PM
Damn drain plug......

https://www.thedrive.com/news/34250/ford-raptor-jeep-wrangler-attempt-to-save-300000-speed-boat-all-three-sink

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stazi
06-23-2020, 02:28 PM
That’s just stupidity.

larry_arizona
06-23-2020, 02:32 PM
Boat sinks, let’s drive two $70k+ vehicles into the lake to get it out.

Feels like an insurance scam.

RB56
06-23-2020, 04:00 PM
I saw this a couple days ago. Couldnt tell what kind of boat when i saw it but wow.

Stupidity all around

DNIXD99
06-23-2020, 04:19 PM
Why not go ALL IN, and use the Helicopter??? I guess there was a limit to his FU money......

larry_arizona
06-23-2020, 05:08 PM
Really struggling to understand driving TWO trucks into the lake. What was the plan here?

Guessing boat was on lift, plug out, launched boat got 25 yards from lift, ohshit moment, instead of returning to lift where at least it’s on bunks and can’t fully sink, calls family to drive two trucks in to save him.

Worse case beach the boat, but driving trucks deeper into water is just not common sense at all.

My instinct would be to put thumb over hole.

sandm
06-23-2020, 05:22 PM
another forum had a comment that there is some conversations going on about pavati having issues with welds breaking. this is the second pavati in as many weeks to go down.

having been on an early build, their weld quality/fit-finish is better than almost any wakeboat out there and been building drift boats for more years than I have been licensed to drive.
I don't buy the weld story.

but one never knows.......

Branden967
06-23-2020, 08:09 PM
I had heard that if you forget your plug you should keep the boat up on plane till you can get it out of the water and run the bilge pump. Not sure if it’d work, don’t really want to test it myself but makes sense, I think.

larry_arizona
06-23-2020, 09:00 PM
Last year I saw a guy come in hot to the no wake zone and into the boat launch, beached next too launch.

Ran to truck, Got his plug, and installed it, then ran his bulge pump until it floated enough to get on his trailer.

I never pull the rear plug, just center plug. Personally I would have someone put there thumb or heck just stand on the drain plug hole.

Maybe time to get a spare plug lol.....

RB56
06-23-2020, 09:11 PM
This is a real noob question, but does the boat have tobe trailered or lifted to put the plug in?

htfit
06-23-2020, 09:17 PM
You can definetely put it on while in the water. Trick would be to remain calm and not drop the plug while putting it on under water.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

DNIXD99
06-23-2020, 09:28 PM
I had heard that if you forget your plug you should keep the boat up on plane till you can get it out of the water and run the bilge pump. Not sure if it’d work, don’t really want to test it myself but makes sense, I think.

Rear plug yes.....doubtful with the center plug tho. BUT my unplanned test have been on Jon Boats lol. I'd assume it would be the same tho.

Stazi
06-24-2020, 09:53 AM
Swim underneath and jam a shirt into the hole until you can get back to the ramp under slow tow - if you try to drive back under speed it might dislodge the shirt.

Wouldn’t hurt to have an emergency tapered rubber plug for situations like this in your boat. The. You could swim under and jam that in and allow the bulge pump to do its thing.

Not necessarily for your own boat but also if you came across a person in this type of situation.

Bch53211
06-24-2020, 10:45 AM
This is a real noob question, but does the boat have tobe trailered or lifted to put the plug in?

Ha yes trailered or lifted fine , pretty much anywhere OUT of the water :)

larry_arizona
06-24-2020, 11:06 AM
Newer moomba and Supras have two drain plugs, one t handle in the center of hull and one square end plug in rear above wake plate.

The center one is easy access and you could easily plug it.

The rear one, you can swim under platform and install it with one deep breath.

sandm
06-24-2020, 01:52 PM
easiest way to fix this???

check your boat before launching. pretty simple.

zabooda
06-24-2020, 02:13 PM
I used to put the plug on the driver's seat. If you launch and sit on something uncomfortable you have a problem.

Branden967
06-24-2020, 02:53 PM
I used to put the plug on the driver's seat. If you launch and sit on something uncomfortable you have a problem.

Lol, that’s what I do too!

mikenehrkorn
06-24-2020, 04:37 PM
I rarely take mine out, but when I do it goes in a bag that is tied to the steering wheel - can't miss it there!!

larry_arizona
06-24-2020, 04:41 PM
I leave the floor cover and T handle next to captains seat as typically I am trying to get airflow through the bilge to dry it.

Can’t miss it.

scotthons
06-24-2020, 04:43 PM
I rarely take mine out, but when I do it goes in a bag that is tied to the steering wheel - can't miss it there!!

I need to do this. I leave mine in a cup holder with the wrench. I haven't had any problems yet, but your idea is fool proof.
I got scolded last weekend for showing up at the mussel inspection with my plug already in. I like to do it at storage before I forget.

MJHSupra
06-24-2020, 10:26 PM
I still want to know how it took on that water.

rhouse181
06-25-2020, 04:42 PM
Both plugs fit very conveniently in the battery switch box if you have a dual setup... no making it off the trailer without your plugs.

Looks like someone had a liquidity issue and needed to efficiently convert tangible property into an insurance check.

sandm
06-25-2020, 04:48 PM
Looks like someone had a liquidity issue and needed to efficiently convert tangible property into an insurance check.

can't remember the whole story but the owner or kid of the owner has some cash. other forum someone creeped on them and has a twin turbo lambo, a demon-swapped motor in a jeep and a couple houses. again, can't remember the business they own but it's flush with cash.

larry_arizona
06-25-2020, 04:52 PM
Unless that business was hurting for cash due to the pandemic........

rhouse181
06-25-2020, 04:55 PM
can't remember the whole story but the owner or kid of the owner has some cash. other forum someone creeped on them and has a twin turbo lambo, a demon-swapped motor in a jeep and a couple houses. again, can't remember the business they own but it's flush with cash.

Know plenty of people that have a bunch of fancy things but no liquidity because they leverage themselves to the hills... throw in a COVID driven recession / lockdown, I can see a desperation move.

Reminds me of that guy that drove his Bugatti Veyron into the salt flats trying to get insurance to pony up cash, only to have it all filmed by a random passerby that led to an eventual admission to insurance fraud...

sandm
06-25-2020, 05:28 PM
cut and paste from the interwebs....

Internet sleuths were quick to trace the unlucky owner, too. He is one Jeff Bianchi, a sort of Dan Bilzerian of the Midwest: owner of a string of fitness centers / gyms, he is constantly posting about his toys and flashy lifestyle on social media. Just in May, he posted a photo of his brand new Pavati and yes, it looks very much like the one that sank at the weekend. He also owns the house and the helicopter in the background.

Bianchi doesn’t own just a Raptor and Wrangler much like those two that sank in the rescue attempt, but also a Hellcat-powered Jeep Wrangler, a twin-turbo Lamborghini Huracan, a Lamborghini Gallardo, an Audi R8, and his very own helicopter.

larry_arizona
06-25-2020, 05:32 PM
Well gyms and fitness centers are suffering businesses in pandemic.........

larry_arizona
06-25-2020, 05:59 PM
Easy way to liquidate assets........[emoji57]

DNIXD99
06-25-2020, 06:53 PM
Insurance job makes no sense. Those were the small payments.

Surgical_ass
06-25-2020, 07:52 PM
Insurance job makes no sense. Those were the small payments.

Agreed. You get your wife drunk and convince her she can fly the helicopter....

htfit
06-25-2020, 08:48 PM
I think the most disturbing thing is his neighbor taking a video of it and the women saying "he is going to want this video and I am going to sell it to him". Nice lady. Plus all the on lookers not helping out. Granted they may have been helping behind the scenes but in all the pictures and video they are just watching.

It is hard to imagine what they were thinking and how they ended up in that predictiment, but I know I have done some dumb stuff were I wondered what the heck was I thinking.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

larry_arizona
06-26-2020, 08:31 AM
Says it was a hose failure that sunk boat.

What hose failure would sink a boat? Exhaust hose?

I can see the boat being covered for such a failure and possibly even Pavati covering that type of failure.

However, voluntarily driving trucks into a lake, I suspect insurance claim will be denied.

Isaguel
06-26-2020, 08:50 AM
Might of been one of the hoses to the ballast. One spring, in first day out on lake, I started taking in water. I knew I had all the plugs in, I started throwing up cushions and checking all the ballast connections, I found the left overflow hose for the front IBS had become disconnected and was pouring water. Not sure why it happened as I never messed with it. I suspect it was not put in tight at the factory and eventually just slid off. If you are not familiar with these boats, you may not think of this and not check while yourboat slowly sinks.

sandm
06-26-2020, 09:28 AM
the main water intake could have come off. a 2" hole in the bottom of a boat would easily outdo a bilge pump.
I accidentally left the shower on in the rear of my last boat. filled up with almost a foot of water in the bottom of the boat. bilge could not even begin to keep up. it would have been in the same position as the 'vati had I not noticed and ran to the trailer.

lots of people keep pointing to insurance scams, insurance won't pay, etc... I get a sense with this guy that none of it really matters. he will write the check, bitch a little and move on. chalk it up to a rich moron with more monies than brains. there's a lot of them out there.......

MJHSupra
06-26-2020, 09:58 AM
lots of people keep pointing to insurance scams, insurance won't pay, etc... I get a sense with this guy that none of it really matters. he will write the check, bitch a little and move on. chalk it up to a rich moron with more monies than brains. there's a lot of them out there.......

Thought the same thing when reading the interwebs . . . . .

Insurance claim - the whole wake boat community and local lake community looked at the pics and video on the web. It's not like it was done on Wednesday night at 3am. And not everyday a 300K boat takes a dive with a heli in the background.

larry_arizona
06-26-2020, 10:28 AM
Owner has FU money, so I retract my insurance complication comments.