PDA

View Full Version : Indmar 5.7 Bogging Under Load - Timing?

LakeLiving
06-20-2020, 03:01 PM
Any Mechanics out there want to take a stab at this one?

I have a 2005 Moomba Outback with an Indmar 5.7. She was missing a bit of top end speed end of last season but otherwise fine.
Before winterizing I changed the oil, put in new plugs (properly gapped), and new distributor cap. I put in the water 3 weeks ago and she barely got to 5 MPH before bogging down. It starts and idles fine and can rev it in Nuetral to 6k RPM.

My fuel pump was whining like it was starving for gas so I changed the fuel filter, then cleaned the pump, and finally replaced the pump. Still whining so I replaced the fuel line. That did the trick. Nice and quiet again but didn't help performance.

Noticed she was running hot so I put in a new (and much needed) water impeller. Running at <1700 degrees now.
I checked a few sensors (MAP, TPS, Air Intake) all good

Then did a fuel pressure test and realized my Fuel Pressure Regulator was bad. Was pushing 80lbs of pressure. Replaced it and the boat actually responded. I could now go 20 MPH but it bogs if I push the throttle any more. Then it back fires if I keep the throttle on too much.

I did have a mobile mechanic stop by early on, before I changed the fuel pump. He wanted to replace a sensor on the distributor/coil but couldn't get it off and said he was in a rush ... so he just pulled the whole distributor shaft out and took it to his shop. He came back and installed it the next day. I wonder if he F'd up my timing. So once I was able to get it to 20 MPH (with new fuel pres. reg.) I loosened the distributor cap and moved it a bit. Sure enough boat now goes 25 MPH.

Today I had another mechanic show up with a timing gun. We followed owners manual and put her into Base Timing Mode with a jumper on the DLC. Adjusted the timing to spec at 10. (it was at 8.9 from when I adjusted it by ear). It wouldn't go any higher than 10 even if we rotated the distributor a quarter turn... but we did get it to 10 and then retested and it held. He also said that if the boat has a 'Crank Position Sensor' (mine does) that the timing should be done using the alternate method using an Indmar Diacom. But that means sending her off to an Indmar dealer for 2-3 weeks.

Took her on the water to test under load: Same results :( ... Slow out of the hole, gets to 25mph and if I try to push further it just bogs and eventually backfires. I can cruise between 20-25mph without backfire. Starts and idles well. Revs to 6k RPM smoothly in neutral. Fuel pressure still looks good.

Questions
1. Is it safe to use her as a pontoon boat (slow sunset cruises, etc.) till end of season or might that cause more damage? I have friends on the lake that I can ski with. My wife just wants the boat for social activities.

2. Should I bring her to a dealer for diagnostics and to have timing done with the Diacom? (they are all scheduling 3 weeks out)
3. Should I pull my fuel injectors and send them to be cleaned/tested? (I've run 1/2 tank w/ can of Seafoam)
4. What else can/should I try at this point?

Thanks for any help/advice you may offer!

james yarosz
06-21-2020, 09:21 AM
Not quite the same but my buddy has a boat with Yamaha outboards that does the same thing every few years.We change the fuel injectors and it runs fine.He carries a spare set.He sends the old ones out for cleaning where they vacumn pack them and he puts them back in the tool box.

LakeLiving
06-21-2020, 10:49 AM
Yea, fuel injectors are a likely culprit at this point. Though I'm still concerned the timing may not be quite right.
Anyone have recommendations on where to send fuel injectors for cleaning/testing? I saw a couple of places on line but would feel better knowing others have had a good experience with them. https://www.mrinjector.us/

mmandley
06-21-2020, 10:35 PM
If you are backfiring then it’s timing issues.

As long as your not backfiring you can cruise at lower speeds.

Backfiring is mainly bad because your cylinder is firing when a valve is open and this damages the valve seats.

My buddy has an older Supra and has similar issues as you and finally the dealer found the distributor was the issue. It would lose trimming somehow under loads.