PDA

View Full Version : On plane draft depth

Surgical_ass
06-16-2020, 11:17 AM
What would you think the on plane depth to the bottom of the propeller be? I would assume it would be the same height difference loaded or unloaded. If sitting draft is 27.5" think on plane might be 6"-12" less? Got a shallow area when we go out (3-4 ft) wondering if I should hit it on plane or just putt thru when we have a big crew

Stazi
06-16-2020, 11:44 AM
On plane it’s around 2’. I have to get on plane to get over a 3-4’ sandbar, myself. If it’s only a coup,e people and no ballast then I go idle speed. If you bump the speed at all and start plowing, the ass will drop and you will hit your prop. So either go fast on full plain or dead slow in anything under 3’.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

jason1973
06-16-2020, 12:32 PM
i would suggest going idle speed and put everyone in the front of the boat. Thats what i have done. It raised the back of the boat about 8-10"

Cactus371
06-16-2020, 01:27 PM
When we go to Bethy creek I would go through there on plan when I can see no one else is coming. I always had problems idling thru between the lead and crew I had. I also didn’t like sucking up all the muck. But I hear they dreaded it out since last year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zabooda
06-16-2020, 01:42 PM
I used to go to a reservoir with sand dunes to water ski and water depth there is no more than 6' deep. I would mark my run with the gps and stick to it. It was weird running between reeds. You can do the same thing going out on a predetermined route on the gps but be mindful of additional weight and water fluctuations that would affect the clearance.

Surgical_ass
06-16-2020, 03:55 PM
Where does the depth finder transducer read from? The depth shown, is it from the bottom of the boat? If it reads 3ft and you jump in is it 3 foot or is it 5'-2.5"

Stazi
06-16-2020, 04:08 PM
From the bottom of the boat. So if you jump it it will be higher up on your body.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk