PDA

View Full Version : Ski Pylon

jbird03
03-23-2007, 01:00 PM
I bought a 97 outback last year late, and just learning all the ins and outs of the boat. My question is about the pylon. Mine has some play in it, and I was wondering if this is normal or should it be tightened up. If so how would I go about doing this. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks, Jason

BensonWdby
03-23-2007, 05:49 PM
The sky pylon that my previous owner had included a vinyl mesh sock that fit over the standard pylon. Presumably this prevented wobble and reduced surface wear on the slalom pylon.

I have never installed the sky pylon so not sure how it fit.

Dave

jbird03
03-23-2007, 09:20 PM
Thanks for the information on that Benson, I am new at this so I may have not been clear enough, the pylon that I am speaking of is the one that is installed on the boat from the factory, directly in front of the engine. I may just not know enough about this to be asking the right questions....

JoeTechie
03-24-2007, 12:27 AM
Should be rock solid. There are bolts holding it to the boat's frame. Tighten them. :)
Not sure how to get to them on a '97, OB, but there are lots of simmilar boat owners on here, so you should get a pretty good idea.

-J

bobwells
03-24-2007, 06:59 AM
my '98 has the pylon plate bolted as you stated directly in front of engine. as Joesaid there should be no play, mine has 4 bolts securing plate I would defintetly torque these down solid. (easy to get to) have a great wk. end, bob

p.s. no ideas on wheel wobble folks ? (see below)just didnt want to pull this thing apart and have preloaded pieces fly all over and have to drive it with vice grips :o

NH Moomba
03-24-2007, 08:56 AM
On mine (2000 Outback LS), there is a hollow steel pipe welded to a plate that is through bolted to the keel. The pipe has 4 bolts with jam nuts threaded into it that clamp the hardcoat anodized aluminum pylon in. If you loosen jam nuts and then the bolts, you can lift the pylon right out. The aluminum pylon loosened on mine once. After removing the pylon and cleaning up the burrs, I filed some flats on the pylon where the burrs were so that the bolts would have a flat contact area. After a really good tightening of the bolts and then the jam nuts, I have not had any more wobble. The whole thing is accessed from under the engine cover.

Andy

jbird03
03-24-2007, 09:48 AM
Thanks for the info, seems to be an easy fix. Hope to be able to get to it this weekend. Thanks again for the help.

bobwells
03-24-2007, 01:29 PM
ditto> with NH mine has the sleeve for pylon with jam/lock bolts... looks like easily accesible from engine hatch...

skigirl1212
07-07-2008, 04:25 PM
Look under floor, once you see it you'll know. Simply tighten all 4 bolts all around equally. I bought my 98 Outback indmar 350, 4 barell holly carb 4 years ago. LOVE it so much. I have been to so many "schools of hard knocks" learning. I now winterise / sumrise. ect change all fluids..even fiberglass the muffler all by my self. My worst was an almost over heating due to impeller. No one told me. Mine starts up every year purring like a kitten.