PDA

View Full Version : Best Moomba Surf Boat

Troy.R
06-07-2020, 04:41 PM
Hi Guys,

I’m new to the forum and new to Moomba. I used to have a Centurion Avalanche that I had dialed in to throw a monster wave. I sold my Cent a few years back and moved from CA to AZ. Now I want to get back in the game, but Centurion has priced me out. I looked at a 2020 Mojo the other day at the local dealer in Mesa, AZ and was really impressed with the overall look/feel, options, features, price point, everything. My question is, which Moomba throws the best wave? The sales rep said Mojo or Max. What do you guys think?
Thanks!

DNIXD99
06-08-2020, 04:00 PM
Oh boy, the Max would prob win right now, just based on pure bias lol. There are a lot of Max owners here. You need to get close to 5k ballast tho, too start seeing its full potential. Ive seen great waves on the Makai, and the Craz. I really havent noticed on a newer Mojo. I honestly dont have anything negative to say about any of them. For me personally, Id only buy a Max if cost was the biggest factor, or the Makai if I had a bigger budget. Otherwise, I move up to a Supra. That is just personal preference tho. Check out the monthly picture thread. There are lots of pics, and vids of the waves on all of these boats.

Troy.R
06-08-2020, 05:13 PM
Thanks for the input and thanks for the suggestion.
Any thoughts on the Mojo wave? How much extra weight do they need beyond the stock 3k?

Surgical_ass
06-08-2020, 05:36 PM
Thanks for the input and thanks for the suggestion.
Any thoughts on the Mojo wave? How much extra weight do they need beyond the stock 3k?

I surf mine stock (3k) before I bought the boat I fully expected to have to slam it to be able to surf. Not the case. I fill up the bags flip the switch and can ride all day with just my wife driving. That said I do notice a significant difference whenever any weight is added. Full gas tank and another 2 ppl in the boat it really pops. Is it needed to surf? Not for me. 6'3" 190. In about a week I'm going to have the most weight in it that ive had so far. Roughly 4200 lbs. Really looking forward to seeing the wave.

Troy.R
06-08-2020, 05:47 PM
Nice!
Thanks for the reply. I'd be curious to hear how that surf session goes with the extra weight.
They're offering what seems to be a killer deal on this Mojo, so I'm leaning toward pulling the trigger pending a demo.
Wife just had a minor surgery on Saturday, so once she's up for it i'm going to schedule a demo...

Surgical_ass
06-08-2020, 06:21 PM
Nice!
Thanks for the reply. I'd be curious to hear how that surf session goes with the extra weight.
They're offering what seems to be a killer deal on this Mojo, so I'm leaning toward pulling the trigger pending a demo.
Wife just had a minor surgery on Saturday, so once she's up for it i'm going to schedule a demo...

We love ours. If I had to do it over again I'd still go with the mojo. Our picks were down to craz mojo and max. The max wouldnt fit in our barn with the tower down by about 2 inches. The craz bow was a touch narrower than the mojo and I was afraid it would be limiting for much more than kids. The mojo was one foot longer and the bow was wider and we got a killer deal on a demo

Troy.R
06-08-2020, 08:37 PM
We love ours. If I had to do it over again I'd still go with the mojo. Our picks were down to craz mojo and max. The max wouldnt fit in our barn with the tower down by about 2 inches. The craz bow was a touch narrower than the mojo and I was afraid it would be limiting for much more than kids. The mojo was one foot longer and the bow was wider and we got a killer deal on a demo

Thanks for the input Surg!
When I went to see the boat in person, I did not expect to be nearly as impressed as I was (residual Centurion bias). Moomba makes a beautiful boat with fantastic options for the price point. My wife originally wanted the Centurion RI237 American flag S2S boat until I told her the price ($160K). I just can’t justify spending that kinda coin on something I’ll use 25 days out of the year. From what I’ve seen, nobody touches Moomba in bang for your buck. I think I’m converted!

Liatikmi
06-09-2020, 04:59 AM
As for me, Makai is the best choice in terms of price / quality:cool:

Troy.R
06-09-2020, 11:29 AM
As for me, Makai is the best choice in terms of price / quality:cool:

The Makai is very nice, but a little more $ than I want to spend.

larry_arizona
06-09-2020, 11:49 AM
Not sure what your budget is, but if you were looking at a Ri237, the Makai is the logical moomba choice for that size range.

The Max is a 23 footer but might be too spartan coming from Centurion tastes.

Maybe look for a low hour used Supra SL or SA?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Max20
06-09-2020, 10:44 PM
I had a Max ordered and wound up with a leftover Makai for a great deal. Wife pointed to the Makai in the showroom and I told her keep walking...more than we want to spend. It’s really a funny story - glad we wound up the the Makai but like I said, I had previously ordered the Max. I loved just how deep it was. I was happy with the looks, kinda wished it had REV10’s on the tower and the larger screen but was happy with it which is why we ordered it. In the middle of all the uncertainty I called the dealer and made a ridiculous offer on the Makai - they didn’t take it, but moved enough for me to go ahead and pull the trigger. I know a lot of people have a lot of great luck with the Max. As many on here have said - go crawl around in them and see what you fall in love with

Isaguel
06-12-2020, 05:58 PM
Mojo is the perfect size IMO. At 23 ft you can fit 2 families confortably. I have 4k lbs of ballast and it throws a great wave. My teenage daughter and her friend tandem surf which is pretty cool to watch. I can fit all my boards in the lockers for transport. I loose storage under the midship seats because of the enzo bags, but If I were to do it again, I'd get 1200lb bags for lockers and 600lbs lead spread out to conserve storage space. All the Mojo needs is the right amount of ballast and you will no be disappointed. Its also a beautiful boat design wise, I think. Get the right colors and interior and it'll be something to be proud of and impress your friends. I agree with you that Moomba offers the best build quality, materials, space and design for the money.