PDA

View Full Version : Heater Leaking coolant?

rockymtnsurfer
06-04-2020, 08:22 AM
I lost a little coolant last weekend (1 cup or so) The boat has run great all season, but lately, the kids were using the heater a ton. 2019 Max ......looked around engine etc. Found no source of leaks. Dealer mentioned possible heater pump small leak possible.

I am going to run it and not use the heater for awhile to see if the level changes, but I am really curious to if I can see the pump and if it could be leaking.

Where is the pump and how do I access it. Easy? not Easy?

Thanks
D

larry_arizona
06-04-2020, 09:19 AM
Tighten hose clamps on your heater hoses.

Mine were fairly loose from the factory, tightened them up and leak stopped.

Fairly common complaint.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rockymtnsurfer
06-04-2020, 10:17 AM

Fairly common complaint.

The clamps under the seat where the two tubes go into the unit?....sorry to be a pain. they go into the back of the heater unit?

larry_arizona
06-04-2020, 11:41 AM
No, there are coolant hoses in the engine bay, my loose connection was under a carpeted cover at the forward edge of the engine bay of my Supra, location may vary boat to boat.

parrothd
06-04-2020, 11:44 AM

Fairly common complaint.

The heater pump is known to fail, it leaks from the housing. Generally just a crappy design. Run the boat and check below the heater pump.

rockymtnsurfer
06-04-2020, 02:51 PM
thank you both!

rockymtnsurfer
06-05-2020, 06:57 AM
The heater pump is known to fail, it leaks from the housing. Generally just a crappy design. Run the boat and check below the heater pump.

One last question......will the pump and hopefully the leak only happen when the heater is in use? Stupid question I know....just didn't know if it always was circulating. I was hoping to isolate and not use it to see if thats where the leak is from.

larry_arizona
06-05-2020, 08:31 AM
My heater hose would only leak when you ran heater.

rockymtnsurfer
06-05-2020, 08:47 AM
My heater hose would only leak when you ran heater.

Great...thanks!