PDA

View Full Version : Ragboy’s surf setup tutorial

BigOrange
06-03-2020, 12:42 PM
If this was already posted, sorry. Thought everyone would enjoy as I saw it on Wakeworld.

https://youtu.be/fRX6v9QpycI

Stazi
06-03-2020, 12:47 PM
I agree with most of it except the 50% wakeplate comment. That’s far too much. It lift the stern out of the water at that much deployment.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

BigOrange
06-03-2020, 12:49 PM
I agree with most of it except the 50% wakeplate comment. That’s far too much. It lift the stern out of the water at that much deployment.

I agree Stazi. Maybe if you are slammed with weight but I haven’t reached that point on the Mojo.

Stazi
06-03-2020, 12:51 PM
I agree Stazi. Maybe if you are slammed with weight but I haven’t reached that point on the Mojo.

[emoji106]

Snowslydder
06-03-2020, 01:42 PM
Agreed, I run mine around 25-15 depending on people to maintain the pitch I want. I also used the clinometer app he talks about. I don't use auto wake but like to keep track of my pitch and roll and this app does a great job at it.

jnr4817
06-03-2020, 04:22 PM
When you say slammed, how exactly are you quantifying that? Rub rail at level of water, etc?

Shoebox
06-03-2020, 09:57 PM

Sent from my iPad using TapatalkI was thinking the same thing when I watched it. You'd have to lighten the bow or add a ton of weight to the rear to get 9.5 with the wakeplate at 50.

That's where I run it for my daughter and my buddy's daughter to squash the wave down and make it more "skimmy."

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

MJHSupra
06-03-2020, 10:45 PM
I like the Barbie boat.

Sent from my P00I using Tapatalk

BigOrange
06-04-2020, 02:06 PM
I wouldn't be comfortable running with the rub-rail toward the water line. Right now I have 1100 rear bags, the 750+500 center and IBS, and 600 lbs of lead rear and mid-ship. I enjoy wakeboarding more than surf, so I'm not a pro at dialing my wave yet. But, at those weights, I still need to run the wakeplate at 0 to 10% in order to not loose push.

Shoebox
06-04-2020, 02:19 PM
I wouldn't be comfortable running with the rub-rail toward the water line. Right now I have 1100 rear bags, the 750+500 center and IBS, and 600 lbs of lead rear and mid-ship. I enjoy wakeboarding more than surf, so I'm not a pro at dialing my wave yet. But, at those weights, I still need to run the wakeplate at 0 to 10% in order to not loose push.With how deep these boats are now, I don't think you'd be able to add enough weight to get the rub rail to water level when stationary. Probably in an LSV, but not in the newer designs.

larry_arizona
06-04-2020, 02:30 PM
I don’t suggest exceeding the total weight capacity of the boat.

Whatever you add in ballast over stock is subtracted from passenger capacity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rockymtnsurfer
06-05-2020, 07:49 PM
Today I did what the video said to do....and set the same parameters on the screen set up as he recommended. I could hear the tanks fill drain etc, and the wave was a pretty good wave, BUT....I never reached my setting perimeters and a couple of alerts came up. One was something like center is max and more weight in back. (backs were full 1200 each side)
"move more wight to port side"....tanks were full on port.

So in general......nothing ever matched up to my settings.

Am I doing this wrong?

Stazi
06-05-2020, 07:51 PM
When it says to move weight to a location, have you passengers move to that position.

Sickpainter
06-05-2020, 09:21 PM
So when he says the surf tab fully deployed he's suggesting running the tab at 100?

htfit
06-05-2020, 10:10 PM
Today I did what the video said to do....and set the same parameters on the screen set up as he recommended. I could hear the tanks fill drain etc, and the wave was a pretty good wave, BUT....I never reached my setting perimeters and a couple of alerts came up. One was something like center is max and more weight in back. (backs were full 1200 each side)
"move more wight to port side"....tanks were full on port.

So in general......nothing ever matched up to my settings.

Am I doing this wrong?

I am far from expert, but set autowake to the stock parameters which I know on my moomba max it is 9 degree pitch and 3 degree roll on regular side. Pay attention to what bags empty. If the back bags empty then you need to add weight up front. If the front bag empties then you need to add weight to the back. Same side to side. If the port side empties it means you need to add weight to the starboard side. The objective is to place lead in the areas of your boat that lets autowake minimize emptying any of the ballast bags and acheive the pitch and roll you want. That way your ballast bags stay full and you have the maximum displacement with correct pitch and roll. Hopefully that makes sense.

BigOrange
06-05-2020, 10:20 PM
So when he says the surf tab fully deployed he's suggesting running the tab at 100?

No, I don’t think so. I think he’s saying don’t change the factory nominal settings for the surf tabs. It was a bit misleading

htfit
06-05-2020, 10:24 PM

I am going to experiment with wake plate at 50%. My initial reaction was the same as yours because I run my center plate at 0 and 20 tops But really thinking about it, at 50% I think it is inline or level with the non engaged surf plate. To ragboy's point, set it at neutral and use leverage of the lead to achieve the correct pitch. I know when I set the center plate at 50% before my pitch was lower then 9 degrees so that is telling me I need more weight in the rear. Which sort of makes sense because I have about 650lbs of lead midship plus the 720 bags. Most of my weight is midship. So I need to put the lead as far back in the rear lockers as possible to increase pitch. I do know the farther I put the center wakeplate down, usually the cleaner it is. So if I can get the 9 degree pitch with center plate at 50% then maybe I will have a smoother longer wake. I don't know but will report back what happens.

Stazi
06-05-2020, 10:45 PM

Yes....which is also way too much.

Sickpainter
06-06-2020, 05:59 AM
I can't remember what the factory settings are mine goes to 25 wakeplate 40 regular surf side which is what we usually do but I would like to try this method, any recommendations on the surf tab once I get the pitch and roll, ?I don't have autowake)

rockymtnsurfer
06-06-2020, 08:02 AM
All your feedback is good. I guess I was misunderstanding the system. I thought it would take everything as the boat was and compensate it to adjust to the settings. However, now that I think about it:) there is only so much it can do with what we have in the boat weight wise.

I think the one that confused me the most was when it said something like this (not exact wording) "bow maxed out add weight in rear"

Center balast was emptied by the auto set up and the rear had 2500lbs. So this just confused me.....I thought the auto would fill center bag max on its own. Then I felt when I went to fill it, it would go turn off the auto system because I was manually filling.

Not sure.....sorry to be a pain, I am just trying to figure this Auto thing out to try and get my best wave with best push.

Shoebox
06-06-2020, 12:16 PM
All your feedback is good. I guess I was misunderstanding the system. I thought it would take everything as the boat was and compensate it to adjust to the settings. However, now that I think about it:) there is only so much it can do with what we have in the boat weight wise.

I think the one that confused me the most was when it said something like this (not exact wording) "bow maxed out add weight in rear"

Center balast was emptied by the auto set up and the rear had 2500lbs. So this just confused me.....I thought the auto would fill center bag max on its own. Then I felt when I went to fill it, it would go turn off the auto system because I was manually filling.

Not sure.....sorry to be a pain, I am just trying to figure this Auto thing out to try and get my best wave with best push.You don't say if you have a Moomba or Supra, but just Google "Moomba (or Supra) Autowake tutorial video". They put out a 3 part series on Autowake.

That said, I can't get Autowake to keep my ballasts full and achieve pitch and roll numbers, yet I can achieve them manually with full ballast and Autowake off.

larry_arizona
06-06-2020, 03:48 PM
You don't say if you have a Moomba or Supra, but just Google "Moomba (or Supra) Autowake tutorial video". They put out a 3 part series on Autowake.

That said, I can't get Autowake to keep my ballasts full and achieve pitch and roll numbers, yet I can achieve them manually with full ballast and Autowake off.

That is where lead or human weight is helpful.

If your starboard side bag is dumping water add lead or human to port side to leverage and force Autowake to fill starboard.

Add weight to opposite side that is dumping ballast.

Shoebox
06-06-2020, 04:16 PM
That is where lead or human weight is helpful.

If your starboard side bag is dumping water add lead or human to port side to leverage and force Autowake to fill starboard.

Add weight to opposite side that is dumping ballast.

It shouldn't be dumping ballast at all, since I achieve pitch and roll manually without changing anything.

When I have Autowake on for me, 9.2 pitch and -1.5 roll, 100% amplitude, it dumps 50% from the non-surf side and almost 100% from the center. I have 850 lbs of lead pretty evenly distributed throughout the boat, but biased toward the rear. There is no reason for it to be dumping as much as it does.

larry_arizona
06-06-2020, 04:20 PM
Yeah something is up. The most I lose it 8-9%

Maybe try a Recalibration?

rockymtnsurfer
06-06-2020, 04:25 PM
It shouldn't be dumping ballast at all, since I achieve pitch and roll manually without changing anything.

When I have Autowake on for me, 9.2 pitch and -1.5 roll, 100% amplitude, it dumps 50% from the non-surf side and almost 100% from the center. I have 850 lbs of lead pretty evenly distributed throughout the boat, but biased toward the rear. There is no reason for it to be dumping as much as it does.

This is pretty much what I was seeing myself.

Other comment about adding weight or people to areas that need weight makes sense.

larry_arizona
06-06-2020, 04:54 PM

If mine was that off, my dealer would be on my boat telling me what is wrong with my boat.

Autowake should give you a green reading sitting still which should translate to hitting your pitch and roll at speed.

Shoebox
06-06-2020, 05:53 PM
Autowake should give you a green reading sitting still which should translate to hitting your pitch and roll at speed.

Yeah, that's when it's dumping all the ballast.

larry_arizona
06-06-2020, 08:51 PM
So you fill ballast 100% and then turn on Autowake at idle and it dumps 50% out of non surf side and 100% front?

rockymtnsurfer
06-06-2020, 08:58 PM
So you fill ballast 100% and then turn on Autowake at idle and it dumps 50% out of non surf side and 100% front?

yes...if you were talking to me

Shoebox
06-06-2020, 11:43 PM

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkYep

larry_arizona
06-07-2020, 06:43 AM
It absolutely should not do that.

Shoebox
06-07-2020, 10:07 AM
It absolutely should not do that.

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkMakes me wonder if the amplitude sensor is wonky.

larry_arizona
06-07-2020, 10:14 AM
Something is wonky, seriously never dropped more than 9% in any bag location.

I rock autowake all the time and it’s really intuitive once you understand the language.

Do I need it now? Not really as I know where my sweet spot is, but even if my crew moves midsession, it’s nice to have it auto adjust.

But 2 years ago, I knew nothing about a good wave, now I am confident in creating a solid wave thanks to Autowake.

Snowslydder
06-09-2020, 01:47 AM
Anyone actually get on their boat and get their pitch and roll numbers right with the surf plate at 50?

larry_arizona
06-09-2020, 05:15 PM
Why do u need plate at 50?

Less plate is better...... keep it in under 25

Shoebox
06-09-2020, 05:24 PM

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkThat's what wake9 recommends in their video. I tend to disagree with that.

larry_arizona
06-09-2020, 06:19 PM
The plate effectively lengthens the running surface.

50% is a lot of plate. I run 25% and only add it to lengthen the wave or when I need to reduce pitch with full front ballast.

I prefer to leverage 100# lead and on the bow seat to lower pitch.

Stazi
06-09-2020, 09:13 PM

Absolutely!!

Snowslydder
06-10-2020, 01:20 AM
I was just curious since I never tried to maintain pitch and roll with the plate any higher then 20%. Rag boy has a ton of experience, even more with skiers choice boats. So I was wondering what the out come was.

Shoebox
06-10-2020, 01:48 AM
I was just curious since I never tried to maintain pitch and roll with the plate any higher then 20%. Rag boy has a ton of experience, even more with skiers choice boats. So I was wondering what the out come was.I'm going to play around with it quite a bit, probably on Friday, and also see if I can figure out why Autowake wants to dump most of my ballast. I'll see if I can achieve pitch numbers with 50% wakeplate without having to shift a bunch of weight aft.

Snowslydder
06-10-2020, 02:05 AM
I am just going to use the clinometer app and not use autowake at all. Just cruise control

larry_arizona
06-10-2020, 07:42 AM
Ragboy seems to use his lead to leverage his boat and he uses a lot of lead.

If he loads lead as far back as possible and also uses lead as far forward as possible with full water ballast, then the only option he has left to bring pitch down is add wake plate.

Plate really won’t effect roll, so 50% plate might be great when you are fully slammed and leveraged.

Factory plate setting for both surf modes on my boat is 25%. I only add more plate mid session if my pitch is high or I want to lengthen the wave.

But after my rider falls or resets, I will add 50# lead to the bow for next session and move plate back to 25%.

fail0ver
06-10-2020, 09:08 AM
Sorry for cross-posting, but I initially had this in the Autowake thread but didn't really get any answers (that made sense) so I thought I'd put it here which is probably where it belongs:

Hey all, I've been playing around today with Autowake on my Mondo and am a little confused on how it's supposed to work. I did some testing today with only me in the boat (and I'm a small guy, 145 pounds), and the lake was calm. With the Amp preset set to "100", I Turn on Autowake and wait. The front ballast filled to 100, and the left ballast filled to around 95. The right ballast, however, stayed at zero. I'm assuming it was attempting to balance out me sitting in the driver's seat, but I was pretty surprised that it didn't fill the right ballast at all.

Is that normal? The whole boat was noticeably leaning to the left, so I have hard time believing this is how it's supposed to work. (do I need to re-calibrate or something??)

Shoebox
06-10-2020, 09:12 AM
Sorry for cross-posting, but I initially had this in the Autowake thread but didn't really get any answers (that made sense) so I thought I'd put it here which is probably where it belongs:

Hey all, I've been playing around today with Autowake on my Mondo and am a little confused on how it's supposed to work. I did some testing today with only me in the boat (and I'm a small guy, 145 pounds), and the lake was calm. With the Amp preset set to "100", I Turn on Autowake and wait. The front ballast filled to 100, and the left ballast filled to around 95. The right ballast, however, stayed at zero. I'm assuming it was attempting to balance out me sitting in the driver's seat, but I was pretty surprised that it didn't fill the right ballast at all.

Is that normal? The whole boat was noticeably leaning to the left, so I have hard time believing this is how it's supposed to work. (do I need to re-calibrate or something??)Did it stay that way when you were at speed? What was pitch and roll?

Stazi
06-10-2020, 10:25 AM
Static settings won’t be the same as the dynamic ballast levels once the boat is moving. The software has an “idea” of what it needs to set the ballast to at static to get the required pitch and roll while moving, but it is never the same. If it was only you in the boat then Yes, the ballast levels will look very different in static mode as it tries to counteract just your weight.

larry_arizona
06-10-2020, 10:47 AM
I find the key to AW is to fill ballast 100% manually, then turn it on.

Stazi
06-10-2020, 11:02 AM
I find the key to AW is to fill ballast 100% manually, then turn it on.

I do the same thing.

Surf Wagon
06-10-2020, 11:11 AM
Is everyone in this conversation using the version 3.0 swell system or is someone with the 2.0 successful with autowake while surfing. I never use it surfing and haven't been using it lately for wakeboarding.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

jnr4817
06-10-2020, 11:58 AM
What is the real data driven difference in the 2.0 vs 3.0 systems. If there is that big of a difference why isn’t the 3.0 offered as an add-on or people trying to mod there 2.0 system?

larry_arizona
06-10-2020, 12:08 PM
I think the difference in plate shape and 6 pumps. New for 2018. The curl on the plate is supposed to clean up the face of the wave/wake

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200610/085779e752db38128598b0ff1451fa98.jpg

Prospersigman
06-10-2020, 12:17 PM
I still think Autowake is more for those that cannot setup a boat/surf wave properly, specifically with regards to surfing...we don’t wakeboard.

I fill all ballast 100% and have 850 of lead spaced out almost evenly in my boat. 100 in the nose, 300 port midship, 250 starboard midship, 100 surf locker port corner and 100 surf locker starboard corner.

I adjust smartplate/wakeplate on the goofy starboard side to clean up the face and don’t need any smartplate on the port/regular side.

Produces a monster wave that is clean, tall and long as f...

larry_arizona
06-10-2020, 12:49 PM
I still think Autowake is more for those that cannot setup a boat/surf wave properly, specifically with regards to surfing...we don’t wakeboard.

I fill all ballast 100% and have 850 of lead spaced out almost evenly in my boat. 100 in the nose, 300 port midship, 250 starboard midship, 100 surf locker port corner and 100 surf locker starboard corner.

I adjust smartplate/wakeplate on the goofy starboard side to clean up the face and don’t need any smartplate on the port/regular side.

Produces a monster wave that is clean, tall and long as f...

This is truth. I was an absolute newb to making a wave and AW taught me everything I needed to make an awesome wave.

Do I still need it? Nope, but I still use it with my lead to leverage even a better wave.

I know what pitch and roll I need for my wave and then depending on crew, I let AW talk to me where to put my lead and allows my crew to be ADD and move around.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200610/c03be46a2eb4dd66cd1d796ad149b917.jpg
This is pre lead with 3 total in boat. I don’t have lead wave pics but it’s significantly better.

Autowake isn’t set it and forget it, it’s a engineering toolbox that teaches you how to build a wave effectively. The one feature of AW that is overlooked is when static it predicts what your dynamic will be.

If you are in the green for pitch and roll statically you will hit your pitch and roll dynamically. Allows you to move crew or lead at idle and tells you when you are good to go.

fail0ver
06-10-2020, 12:55 PM
Static settings won’t be the same as the dynamic ballast levels once the boat is moving. The software has an “idea” of what it needs to set the ballast to at static to get the required pitch and roll while moving, but it is never the same. If it was only you in the boat then Yes, the ballast levels will look very different in static mode as it tries to counteract just your weight.

Makes sense, thanks for the info (and others who chimed in too). I'll experiment a bit today and tomorrow and see how things look once I have the boat at surfing speed.

Shoebox
06-10-2020, 01:21 PM

Agreed. This is almost my exact setup, though I probably differ in my midship locations. I have 200 nose, 100 in the cooler, 100 in front of the batteries on the port side, 100 under each rear corner seat, 100 in each corner of the board locker, and 50 to move around if I need to. I make my desired pitch and roll numbers with this setup and 100% full ballast, whether surfing regular or goofy.

MJHSupra
06-10-2020, 04:35 PM
100 surf locker port corner and 100 surf locker starboard corner.

I never put bags in the surf locker. The farthest i put lead is under those small compartments (each side) against the back seat.

Does it make a difference on your SL to add the surf locker bags?

Shoebox
06-10-2020, 04:43 PM
I never put bags in the surf locker. The farthest i put lead is under those small compartments (each side) against the back seat.

Does it make a difference on your SL to add the surf locker bags?It's a leverage thing. 100 lbs 3 ft further back has more effect than forward.

larry_arizona
06-10-2020, 05:24 PM
Leveraging works great,but ultimately the boat is a teeter totter. You can put lead way back to maximize sinking the rear only if you an still make your desired pitch. If pitch is too high you need enough bag or lead to counter it in the bow.

I only leverage lead when I can’t hit my pitch or roll with bags, most of my lead sits mid ship to the fulcrum of the boat.

Shoebox
06-10-2020, 05:32 PM
Leveraging works great,but ultimately the boat is a teeter totter. You can put lead way back to maximize sinking the rear only if you an still make your desired pitch. If pitch is too high you need enough bag or lead to counter it in the bow.

I only leverage lead when I can’t hit my pitch or roll with bags, most of my lead sits mid ship to the fulcrum of the boat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk8 bags all in one spot takes up a lot of room. Hence it's spread throughout the boat, in areas that have space I don't need to use - like the corners of the board locker. It's offset by weight in the nose - again, space I don't need for anything else.

If I didn't put the weight in the locker, I'd have to move the nose weight further aft (to maintain pitch, like you said), potentially taking up space I could use for something else.

Shoebox
06-10-2020, 05:39 PM

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkAnother thing to consider is stability. Imagine your teeter-totter. If both people are sitting at the center, how much easier is it for an external force to move the ends up and down than if the people were sitting at either end?

Same concept for a boat if all your lead is over the boat's center of gravity. It won't be as stable in rough water.

Snowslydder
06-11-2020, 10:15 PM
Wishing now auto wake had a no dump feature. It just showed your amplitude. Tells you what to do, like move people and constantly shows pitch and roll. That way I can tweak it before auto wakes dumps water to do it. Then If I really need it I hit a button and boom, auto wake does what I failed to do.

MJHSupra
06-11-2020, 11:01 PM

Same here.

GW@vineyardlake
06-15-2020, 12:52 PM
Is the clinometer app easy to use / set-up?

htfit
06-15-2020, 10:22 PM
Is the clinometer app easy to use / set-up?Super easy. Just download it and open it up. I didnt have to calibrate it or anything. It works really well.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

GW@vineyardlake
06-15-2020, 11:01 PM
great, thanks.

Shoebox
06-19-2020, 04:24 PM
We finally got some good weather and I got my boat in the water. I went out and played with Autowake, both regular (what I surf) and goofy.

It didn't matter too much what I did, the goofy wave was spectacular. It took a lot more fiddling to get close with the regular wave.

I filled all ballast to 100%, just me in the boat, then turned on Autowake with pitch set to 9.5, roll to -2.5 (too much) and Amplitude to 100. It dumped a bunch from the starboard and center ballast to try to achieve numbers. It was able to get static pitch and roll but not amplitude. I reduced the roll to -1.5 and played with Swell tabs a bit. I got my best wave on the regular side at 70. Still unable to achieve amplitude.

Because it was dumping from the front and right, I tried moving some lead. I took 100 out of the bow and moved it under the left rear seat (now 250 under that seat, just 50 in the bow).

Finally Autowake pretty much kept the ballast full, achieved pitch, roll and amplitude, and the wave was damned good. [emoji1690]

Switched over to a goofy preset to see if it could achieve numbers with the lead where it was, and it did. [emoji1690]

So hopefully when I have people on board, Autowake will just tell me if I need to move a person or 2 to achieve numbers and I won't have to lose water or move lead.

At no time did I feel having the wakeplate above 25 helped, contrary to Wake9's video. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200619/1484639bc5dd75683c9c2cab47d6b993.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200619/2a92671dcd1fb152f5e614687ebdd010.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200619/37130a489f95a48ffe017f0fe06bc520.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200619/4dcaba8361de866ec0be32b379e65a07.jpg

larry_arizona
06-19-2020, 04:30 PM
I don’t think you can force amplitude, amplitude is simply how much potential you have with what the draft sensor says is on the boat.

To get max amplitude, you need more lead, crew or both,

Full ballast and only you is nowhere near max amplitude.

Shoebox
06-19-2020, 04:40 PM
I don’t think you can force amplitude, amplitude is simply how much potential you have with what the draft sensor says is on the boat.

To get max amplitude, you need more lead, crew or both,

Full ballast and only you is nowhere near max amplitude.

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkIt was achieving amplitude after I moved lead and it stopped draining ballast. I have 850 lead on board, so it's not really just me.

Stazi
06-19-2020, 05:15 PM
Ragboys comment of using half wakeplate is erroneous. Sorry but it is.
The wakeplate lift the ass end out of the water which is counterproductive to adding all the ballast into you boat in the first place. I have NEVER seen the need for anything more than 10-15% of wakeplate deployment, and tha.t was only when I had a full boat. 99.9% of the time I run with it ALL the way up.

Shoebox
06-19-2020, 05:22 PM
Ragboys comment of using half wakeplate is erroneous. Sorry but it is.
The wakeplate lift the ass end out of the water which is counterproductive to adding all the ballast into you boat in the first place. I have NEVER seen the need for anything more than 10-15% of wakeplate deployment, and tha.t was only when I had a full boat. 99.9% of the time I run with it ALL the way up.

Sent from my iPad using TapatalkIt's definitely better to achieve the same effect by adding bow weight.

Stazi
06-19-2020, 05:34 PM
It's definitely better to achieve the same effect by adding bow weight.

Absolutely

Shoebox
06-19-2020, 05:45 PM
Absolutely

Sent from my iPad using TapatalkThough thinking about it, I'd be really interested to see the actual hydrodynamics of it. With a given weight- that is, you can't add any when you're out on the lake - the quantifiable difference in wave, or draft, or displacement for differing conditions.

Because putting the wakeplate down doesn't really "lift" the boat, it forces the bow down, which increases the displacement forward at the same time it decreases it aft. For a given weight it should be an equal transfer?

Or moving someone from the back to the front - that just removes displacement from the rear and shifts it to the front. Same displacement, right?

Or does the higher pitch actually cause more water to be moved? Or is it similar, just moved differently (tall and not long, versus shorter and longer)?

One thing's for sure, if you're running 50% wakeplate, you'll need more weight in the back than you otherwise would to achieve a given pitch. This makes the boat less balanced in other running conditions.

Sorry for the lengthy stream-of-consciousness, the thought of wakeplate effect got me going... [emoji23]

larry_arizona
06-19-2020, 06:32 PM
Wake plate lifts rear of boat out of water, killing your wave.

Better to add bow weight than plate.

Shoebox
06-19-2020, 06:36 PM
Wake plate lifts rear of boat out of water, killing your wave.

Better to add bow weight than plate.

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkYeah it's better to add. I'm talking about on the water adjustments. Moving weight from stern to bow doesn't add weight. Though I'd agree if you need to bring the bow down, it's better to weight shift than use wakeplate. It just got me wondering about the hydrodynamics of it all.

MJHSupra
06-19-2020, 08:50 PM
I took Ragboy & Family surfing on my SL last weekend. Good time.

Dude can really adjust surf settings to a specific surfer. You can tell when talking to him he spent a lot of time on playing around with settings on these boats - SA, SL, SE.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200620/6a41f9f25a58f9373d6a32fa4dbb7d07.jpg

Shoebox
06-19-2020, 10:18 PM
I took Ragboy & Family surfing on my SL last weekend. Good time.

Dude can really adjust surf settings to a specific surfer. You can tell when talking to him he spent a lot of time on playing around with settings on these boats - SA, SL, SE.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200620/6a41f9f25a58f9373d6a32fa4dbb7d07.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkWhat were the settings there? Doesn't look very lippy, but looks fat and powerful.

MJHSupra
06-20-2020, 09:16 PM
What were the settings there? Doesn't look very lippy, but looks fat and powerful.

It was probably 9’ and 2.5

I had too much weight in the front that day so it was harder to get the 9’.

Got busy and forgot to move the bags to the back from when I haul them on the trailer.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200621/40312cebcaad51202811c64b4a88dbc1.jpg

Shoebox
06-20-2020, 09:18 PM
It was probably 9’ and 2.5

I had too much weight in the front that day so it was harder to get the 9’.

Got busy and forgot to move the bags to the back from when I haul them on the trailer.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200621/40312cebcaad51202811c64b4a88dbc1.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkI tried 2.5 but it didn't like it as much. And wanted to dump starboard ballast.

MJHSupra
06-20-2020, 10:13 PM
I tried 2.5 but it didn't like it as much. And wanted to dump starboard ballast.What are you running REG side?

Sent from my P00I using Tapatalk

Shoebox
06-20-2020, 10:14 PM
What are you running REG side?

Sent from my P00I using Tapatalk-1.5

KnoxMojo
06-21-2020, 12:19 PM
MJH, I think your wave looks awesome.. A lot is personal preference, some like a wall out the back for a wave, others like a progressive wave like what yours looks like. When riding with Sean Silveira the other day, he prefers the progressive wave as well, said he had more room to move around and could use different parts of the wave for various tricks....Looks like y'all had a blast, hopefully catch up with you this summer.

haknslash
06-21-2020, 04:45 PM
What were the settings there? Doesn't look very lippy, but looks fat and powerful.

Nice pic! Looks like that is his daughter Jess too. What is she holding?

Stazi
06-22-2020, 01:27 PM
I don’t like those long progressive waves. You can’t do much except surface tricks on a skim. The height even at the curl is so small.

Prospersigman
06-22-2020, 02:44 PM
My buddies for my 50th bday had Parker Payne come out and ride with us for 6 hours. He likes that long progressive wave as well on both his Matrix and Phantom. He can do any and all of his tricks on both skim and surf style board on a progressive wave. He falls way back beyond the 2nd pocket and builds so much speed down the line with 1 maybe 2 pumps. I've watched tons of videos on YouTube and Instagram of Parker, Sean, Keenan, and a ton of Ashley Kidd (OMG!!!) but it is totally different spending a day with a pro surfer that is just back there free riding and throwing down not worried about getting the right shot or putting the right 6 trick run together for the competition.

KnoxMojo
06-22-2020, 03:02 PM
I don’t like those long progressive waves. You can’t do much except surface tricks on a skim. The height even at the curl is so small.

Watch videos of the pro riders, almost all of them prefer a progressive wave. I can air (some) and spin on my wave, it is just more fun than the wall coming out the back with some huge lip and curl. That wave looks cool, but that's about it, for me at least.

Prospersigman
06-22-2020, 03:32 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200622/a17e9cbf1f402fc8b611d19cc3a86a1f.jpg
I’m sure this is going to be crappy quality from a screenshot of the actual video. 100% front, 100% port, 100% starboard. Wakeplate/smartplate 0%, starboard surf plate 80.

MJHSupra
06-22-2020, 05:04 PM
Nice pic! Looks like that is his daughter Jess too. What is she holding?

She was holding a video camera. Not sure what kind it was, but I recall him talking about it on one if his videos. He was shooting some video from the boat and his drone.

Jess is awesome. Very nice girl and she can surf. It's fun watching her surf b/c she has such a good time. Two ladies on the boat that day were throwing 360s!

haknslash
06-22-2020, 06:26 PM
She was holding a video camera. Not sure what kind it was, but I recall him talking about it on one if his videos. He was shooting some video from the boat and his drone.

Jess is awesome. Very nice girl and she can surf. It's fun watching her surf b/c she has such a good time. Two ladies on the boat that day were throwing 360s!

Yea they seem like a really nice and fun family to hang around in the boat and to surf with. I'm hoping to make it to the Polar Bear event on Norris to meet them if it still happens.

MJHSupra
06-22-2020, 11:14 PM
Yea they seem like a really nice and fun family to hang around in the boat and to surf with. I'm hoping to make it to the Polar Bear event on Norris to meet them if it still happens.

We talked about that. They want to have one in the fall as he announced on his site or videos.

He was going to check his commitments soon for a go/no-go, then make an announcement.

Word gets around fast. The openings are filled in 15-30 mins.

Norris will make a great event. Houseboats, wake companies down here, great surfing lake, and Bubba’s Brew.

Isaguel
11-15-2020, 11:36 AM
I realize this is an old thread and most of the questions regarding surf setup have been discussed ad nauseum, but, I ran into this video that provides info on how to access the inclinometer calibration for the vision system. As we all know, an accurate Inclinometer is essential for a properly working autowake system. I did not know where this setting was so the video was helpful in that regard. Maybe most of you who have the vision system are already aware of this. For those who are not, here it is:

Its towards the end of the video. The rest is just basic surf setup stuff that we are very familiar with.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2n-QILgiBkU

DNIXD99
11-15-2020, 12:35 PM
Has anyone switched to 50% wakeplate? I love his videos, and reviews. Its just confusing that everyone talks up his knowledge of setups, yet no one actually uses his setup lol. Im sure Ill try it out eventually. Right now I'm just focused on surfing, so I'm not making any changes to my wave.

larry_arizona
11-15-2020, 12:37 PM
Has anyone switched to 50% wakeplate? I love his videos, and reviews. Its just confusing that everyone talks up his knowledge of setups, yet no one actually uses his setup lol. Im sure Ill try it out eventually. Right now I'm just focused on surfing, so I'm not making any changes to my wave.

I have never used that much plate, but I have also not used as much lead and human ballast that he uses in his set ups.

dakota4ce
11-15-2020, 02:00 PM
I have never used that much plate, but I have also not used as much lead and human ballast that he uses in his set ups.

I love me some Ragboy, but also prefer some things that he doesn’t include in his setups.

I will run up to 30 wakeplate at times, especially for a smaller human, but personally when I am riding I want the wakeplate up, and the speed correspondingly up. More wakeplate tends to render the front 6’ or so of the wave a little too vanilla for my liking.

I do tend to hover around factory recommended default surf plate settings.

MJHSupra
11-16-2020, 11:18 AM
Its just confusing that everyone talks up his knowledge of setups, yet no one actually uses his setup lol.

Preference thing I guess. For example, some people want to move around surf plates for roll. He focuses on weight distribution.

When I get on social media, it appears everyone has their own 'special recipe' they like. Works for me b/c I like to try out different setups.

I run his setups. When we went out on my SL he gave me some good pointers about different topics on cause > effect on setups. Dude loves to talk about surf systems.