PDA

View Full Version : Differences between Craz and Kaiyen?

996scott
06-03-2020, 12:13 PM
I'm looking at possibly upgrading to a Craz or Kaiyen. There is only a 6 inch difference in length, width and draft are the same. The layout inside is pretty much the same other than the bow seems smaller in the Kaiyen. I know the fit and finish is a little nicer in the Kaiyen. My biggest question is, are the hulls very different? Is there going to be much of a difference in the wave for surfing and skiing? (yep, i still love to ski). Are there any other major differences? Any options you can't get in the Craz that you can in the Kaiyen? Any input would be helpful, thanks.

jason1973
06-04-2020, 11:36 AM
my guess is the kaiyen will replace the craz in 2021. Just like the ugly helix did to the mondo.

rhouse181
06-04-2020, 04:06 PM
I originally placed an order and built a Craz prior to SC shutting down the factory. Loved the traditional hull shape, the spacious bow, and I thought the surf wave right out of the box was quite respectable. As I grew more impatient waiting for a newbuild, my dealer was great and got me into a Kaiyen that they had in inventory. To be honest, my family couldn't be more happy with the flip.

A few of the major differences we've noticed vs. the Craz:
- Interior of the Kaiyen is noticeably more upscale and the transom walk-through with the pop up tow pylon is clutch if you have kids
- Believe it or not, the Kaiyen bow feels a little bigger from an overall sq footage standpoint. In the Craz, you can sit 2 adults facing towards the bow with legs fully stretched out while you can't on the Kaiyen. But if you rotate the passengers 90 deg you can magically fit 2 adults with legs fully stretched out. We've had all 4 of our family members lounging up front it's been quite comfy.
- The wave out of the box is respectable and perfectly surfable. Stock ballast +2 adults is ~30% on the autowake amplitude scale. The Kaiyen wave doesn't seem as steep as a stock Craz with stock ballast. However when you start adding weight in the boat, it gets progressively better. I haven't slammed her yet, but with every 100 lbs the wave continues to stack. I think there is way more overall potential in the Kaiyen compared to the Craz.
- Craz w/ no ballast handles the chop a little better and the bow doesn't burp spray as much. But fill the middle tank on the Kaiyen to 30% and she's a champ in rollers. I've been in no joke whitecap / 3-5 ft ocean style rollers and made it back to the ramp without much fanfare.

I have my 20 hr service next week and I'm going to throw 500 lbs of lead in the boat to start ramping up the surf amplitude. Overall, I couldn't be happier with my Kaiyen. She looks great and does everything well. I'm sure the Craz would have done the same, but this hull is clearly the future of Moomba.

996scott
06-04-2020, 04:51 PM
Thanks for the review, that is awesome info. I definitely like the interior finish of the Kaiyen a lot more and i'm sure the bow wouldn't be a big problem. You haven't skied behind it have you? I'm curious how flat you can get the wake.

rhouse181
06-04-2020, 05:35 PM
Haven’t strapped on skis, but with no ballast / higher speeds the wake is mellow. All the modern boats with massive wakeplates seem quite adjustable.