PDA

View Full Version : Flame arrestor connections

Wakka
06-02-2020, 07:26 PM
Hey guys,

I just bought a 2006 outback V and I had some questions the manual doesn’t answer,

When I pulled the engine cover off the engine I noticed that the flame arrestor wasn’t secured properly and noticed there was no hose connected to the flame arrestor itself, but a hose off the going directly to the back of the edelbrock carb, and another coming off the side and shooting down below the block, this one has a plastic liquid filled filter(?). Is that normal or am I missing a hose that should be attached to the flame arrestor. Also I have a standard holley mesh flame arrestor that will not sit properly flush on top of the carb. Do they make collars for these to raise them up? Here’s a pic of the engine bay to go along with the question

Also aside from an oil change what other pre-req maintenance should I do or do you guys recommend to keep this new investment running well?

z28ke
06-03-2020, 04:06 PM
The hose I marked in blue is the fuel supply hose, the clear thing is a fuel filter. This looks to be hooked up correctly. If not it wouldn’t run.

The hose I marked in red is the pcv (positive crankcase ventilation) system and looks to be hooked up correctly. The part that is pushed down into the valve cover is the actual pcv valve.

What I circled in yellow is a valve cover breather, and did not come from the factory on that engine. I believe there would have been a hose hooked to a nipple on the valvecover (similar to the pcv valve, but does not actually contain a valve and is free flowing) with the other end of the hose going to the outside of the flame arrester/air filter, with the purpose being to suck vapor back into the carburetor vs venting to atmosphere.

So long as the breather (circled in yellow) isn’t spewing oil or anything, this setup works fine as is.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200603/daf94e9a641c0761c98ff29891c43dc3.jpg

Hopefully this helps

Wakka
06-03-2020, 06:31 PM
Nope I think you pretty much hit the nail on the head. I had a feeling the breather was essentially a vent, but I was t certain and everywhere I could find online said there should be a hose coming off each header so that explains it. I really appreciate your help. Also, the breather seems to be running fine as of right now, but if it fails do you suggest replacing it back to factory with a new fitting/hose running back to the flame arrestor?