PDA

View Full Version : Blower & bilge switches not working?

iaonbb
03-22-2007, 11:48 AM
Got the boat out last Sun for the first time since having it winterized. Whenever I turn on either the blower or bilge switch , they both light up and neithger works. Seems like a short but I traced te wires as best I could and found no probs. Can't help think they may have screwed something up during winterization as it worked flawlessly last year. Only 20hrs on the boat. Any thoughts? It is under warranty but the dealer is 2 hours away and booked solid for a month!

thanks!
MDB

Yellowmobius
03-22-2007, 11:54 AM
Get yourself a test light and start tracing power.

zabooda
03-22-2007, 03:54 PM
Sounds like the two may be connected to a common ground that got disconnected. The light in the switch has its own ground. Trace the ground wires or use a meter to see if you have the ground.

BensonWdby
03-22-2007, 07:40 PM
Ironically I had a very similar problem with my 99 Mobius. After a few seasons, I got her out for the first time after winterization and neither the bilge nor the blower worked correctly. the blower did not work at all, and the bilge stopped working in automatic mode (with the float).

Turns out that the bilge pump/wiring had gone bad and needed replacement. The blower was just tired. I gained access to it and sprayed some WD-40 afound the shaft and it started working, but a little noisy. I think it needs replacing.

So it may actually be that both your devices have gone bad at the same time..

Dave

iaonbb
03-27-2007, 01:46 PM
Well, over the weekend I started tracing wires. Seems hte ground goes from switch to switch until it finally heads off inside some flex tube into the bilge. All of the connec tions on the back of the switches were good. All connections at both the blower unit and bilge were also intact. The fact that they both light up at the same time continues to point to a ground or short...but where? Totally stumped. The builge I could do without (have tsunami pump in case of emergency), but the blower....grrrr

bluemobius
03-27-2007, 09:27 PM
Run a ground wire externally to the battery- this will tell you if the ground is the problem or not.

iaonbb
03-28-2007, 12:21 PM
Thanks Blue...wil do today and advise...

iaonbb
03-28-2007, 05:48 PM
So I ran a jumper wire from the ground on the back of both switches to the ground side of the terminal block under the dash..no dice. So it isn't the ground. Why the heck would both switches light up when I push only one? Gotta be a short? Dealer is 2hrs away and has no idea. Any other ideas out there? :cry:

BensonWdby
03-28-2007, 07:12 PM
Could be the circuti board?? Wonder if the switches are on separate fuses? Maybe pull one fuse (elimiating sneak path) and see if that makes any diff? If not try other fuse??

Shot in the dark ...
Dave

zabooda
03-28-2007, 07:40 PM
It could be a high resistance ground or a ground disconnect at the bilge pump and the blower (devices) which are probably connected together. The power is going through one light OK. The high resistance at the ground allows the other circuit to be energized and back feeding the other light The lights require very little current to light whereas the motors for the devices require much more current but is restricted by the high resistance ground I recommend removing the grounds at both devices near each of the devices and jumper a ground wire from a known ground such as the bare metal engine mount to the device and give it a try. You may need to run new grounds to the devices.

Nafplio
03-29-2007, 10:41 AM
I would make a diagram, label all the wires on the back of the 2 switches and fuses, and disconnect them all. Then, I'd connect them one at a time. If that didn't identify the fault(s), then your problem would be elsewhere. Good luck.

iaonbb
03-29-2007, 02:32 PM
Zabooda~ Just PM'd you...much appreciated! I figured my next step was to check for power at both devices. Assuming there is power, then all I need to do is disconnect the current ground wire from each device and run a new one to a known ground or directly to the battery, right? What a strange thing to go wrong all of a sudden from just sitting over the winter...

FYI~ I did just install a new audio system w/ 2 amps, etc but I am pretty experienced and all work took place inside the bulkhead and nowhere near the switches, bilge, blower or any main boat wiring. Would they be creating some kind of extra resistance or something perhaps? I also had it on a trickle charger all winter? Tried the fuses under each switch and they do nothing.

zabooda
03-29-2007, 02:46 PM
Your right bb. I suspect the two grounds are connected together and somehow the ground was lost probably by a connection that was bad and finally failed after all of the bouncing of the boat. It is sometimes remarkable to see how well they do hold up. Everytime I move a cable bundle I fear something coming loose.

iaonbb
03-30-2007, 11:50 AM
Just to be sure I have this right....Don't need to worry about the ground wireson the back of the switches then? Just need to run new ground wires from the units to the battery or engine mounts, right? Thanks yet again.

iaonbb
03-30-2007, 04:31 PM
Zabooda...simply put, YOU ARE DA' MAN!!!

Spliced into the ground on the bilge and blower, ran both wires together and tied them to the ground strap where it connects to the front of the motor...voila! Seriously, thanks a million!!!