PDA

View Full Version : Damper plate replacement - vdrive

rsemak
05-17-2020, 05:04 PM
We were out on the boat yesterday and I believe I had the damper plate fail. We were cruising at 3000rpm and I gave it a little throttle, the boat started to accelerate and then "popped" into neutral. I throttled back to idle, tried going into gear, both forward and reverse and nothing. I opened the hatch and checked the cable, had my wife put it in and out of gear and that looked fine. Pulled both the trans and vdrive dipstick and the oil level looked fine. Checked drive shaft coupling and it looked good. Got towed back to the ramp and pulled it out and prop and shaft looked fine.

I searched the forum when I got home and saw another post about the damper plate and sure enough, I checked the bilge area and found a handful of broken springs and metal debris, same as the pics in the other post. So I'm going to tackle replacing the damper plate. I just wanted to get some advice here and get a good game plan together while I wait for the replacement part to arrive.

The other post described how to do it on a direct drive. I have a vdrive and am just wanting to know if anyone has a procedure for a vdrive. Looks like I have to remove the trans mounts, anything special I should pay attention to for alignment or anything else for re-install? Do I have to remove the flooring to make space for the trans/vdrive to slide away from the engine? Looks like lots of disassembly and rerouting of wiring on the front of the engine to get at the bell housing bolts, anything special to watch out for there? I'm assuming I don't have to move the engine at all, just the trans and vdrive, is that correct? Any pointers will be very helpful. Thanks in advance.