PDA

View Full Version : Oil, Tranny, and Trailer question

Snowslydder
05-08-2020, 09:16 PM
I am doing an oil change and I have a question about parts.

I have a 2018 Craz

1.) with the cartridge style canister (OIL CARTRIDGE 501022S) and the oil type is 5w30 API rated. Is there any of the self part I can use or is it better to stick with Indmar?

2.) with the tranny oil change I know I have to put transmission Fluid | Indmar 872020-1 in the shifting part and Synthetic ATF Transmission Oil | Indmar 872022-1 in the V-drive part. Are there any substitutes or do you buy the Indmar stuff each time? Besides sucking out the old fluid from the hole and replacing it. Is there anything else I need to do? I saw on here some people talking about pulling a pan out of the bottom. But I felt the bottom side of the tranny (I know phrasing) and I did not feel any pans that could be removed.

3. The trailer my old trailer I had to pump grease into ever year. This system is closed and says maintenance free. (The vault system) Is this true? Besides checking oil pressure and lights what else is needed.

I would appreciate any help and thanks for your time.

larry_arizona
05-08-2020, 09:47 PM
For cartridge filter, I prefer WIX 57186XP or Mann HU719/8

Oil Mobil 1 or Castrol Edge both are full synthetic 5w30 reasonably priced.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Snowslydder
05-08-2020, 09:58 PM
Thanks for the timely reply. The sticker says semi-synthetic would it mess it up to put full synthetic in their?

larry_arizona
05-09-2020, 07:49 AM
Full syn better than semi syn.

MJHSupra
05-09-2020, 04:16 PM
I read about people putting Motorcraft Semi Syn from Wally World - easy to get, reasonable price.

I agree with post above, full syn.

larry_arizona
05-09-2020, 06:39 PM
Considering you can get 5qts of Castro’s
edge full Syn under $20 shipped from amazon, it’s a no brainer.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200509/cd5fddc2fe15a26c2589337c533dcf44.jpg

Indmar semi syn is $44 for 4 qts plus shipping :

Isaguel
05-10-2020, 08:33 AM
Viscosity is the same, whether synth or regular, they will initially both protect the same. Its the oil molecule degradation rate over time as a result of friction/heat. AT the time of exchange, there will have been less protection afforded by the regular oil during the same period, whereas the full synthetic will have maintained its integrity and a consistent level of protection over a longer period of time. But then again, maybe that's all a bunch of baloney, im not a mechanic, just repeating what I was told.
That being said, I'd buy the full synth, especially at those prices of amazon, that is a steal.

larry_arizona
05-10-2020, 10:02 AM
If you want to learn about oil, start sending oil samples to black stone labs for analysis, you can learn a lot about the oil you use in n your engine and if it’s working or not.

Been doing it for a long time and learned a lot.

https://www.blackstone-labs.com/?session-id=f5zlxai3oxcp44zvd5ygxs45&timeout=20&bslauth&urlbase=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.blackstone-labs.net%2FBstone%2F%28S%28f5zlxai3oxcp44zvd5ygxs4 5%29%29%2F

There is nothing in the Raptor 400/440 that is crazy enough to get overly concerned about running full syn (460 and 575 require it)

But again, at the prices you can find, why wouldn’t you?

Snowslydder
05-10-2020, 01:23 PM
Thanks, I bought some full synthetic after your recommendations and reading around a bit.

What about the tranny fluid what off brands do you use for that? And do you just suck it out the dip stick hole?

Also does anyone else have the Vault system on their trailer? It feels really weird not doing maintenance on a trailer.

Thanks for all of the help so far, it is greatly appreciated

larry_arizona
05-10-2020, 02:22 PM
I would just run the Indmar trans fluid as it is repackaged Mobil Delvac 1 synthetic SAE50.

The reason is Delvac 1 and other equivalents are typically sold by the gallon for $40-$60.

Indmar sells qts for $14.

Snowslydder
05-13-2020, 02:04 AM
okay and do you just suck the tranny fluid out of the dipstick hole and refill it?

larry_arizona
05-13-2020, 06:44 AM
okay and do you just suck the tranny fluid out of the dipstick hole and refill it?

Yep

korey
05-13-2020, 11:40 AM
Yep, I'm running the Mann HU719/8 filter, Valvoline VR1 Full synthetic 5w30 (I like the inc/phosphorus content for this pushrod motor), and bought Indmar trans fluids on Amazon. Like someone said above, the equivalent "over the counter" stuff only comes in 1 gallon jugs and I didn't want it sitting around the shop for a year for the marginal cost savings.

If you ever loose the part number on the filter, it's the same as any Volvo with a turbo inline 5 cylinder. I had an S60r once, so that's easy for me to remember.

For the trailer, I bleed the brakes once a season (I use the same vacuum extractor that I've got for fluid changes to vacuum bleed brakes), check the pads (the boatmate manual has the cross reference for pads - They're like a front pad off of a Kia or something weird, but I've yet to need those), and check for bearing play with each wheel off of the ground. No maintenance on the bearing lube system until it completely fails - hopefully YEARS down the road. There are pleant of 10 year old trailers running around with Vault systems that are still rocking with no maintenance! This year I noticed one trailer tire more worn that the others. That's not a great sign, not sure what to do there, yet.

larry_arizona
05-13-2020, 03:32 PM
The Raptor 6.2 is a single overhead cam engine, not a cam in block pushrod configuration.

I would not go with a high ZDDP content on the Raptor to protect on fouling your catalytic converters. Keep it under 900ppm ZDDP.

MJHSupra
05-14-2020, 01:38 PM
Any Raptor Owners running Valvoline VR1 SAE50 in the VDrive? Any other brand is in gallons.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200514/3621622799f9087bab4af2fe713bd184.jpg

larry_arizona
05-14-2020, 01:44 PM
I would just run the Indmar synthetic Mobil delvac 1 in qts, it only takes 1.25qts and odds are you can only extract 1 qt.

MJHSupra
05-14-2020, 08:57 PM
I would just run the Indmar synthetic Mobil delvac 1 in qts, it only takes 1.25qts and odds are you can only extract 1 qt.

Yea, local sc dealer does not carry it. Wanted to change it before the weekend and probably should have ordered it online months ago.

Snowslydder
05-16-2020, 09:16 PM
Thanks for the help, boat is good to go threw a great wave out in lake whatcom. Officially bought an impeller puller after busting the hell out of my knuckles getting that out. Thanks for all of the help!

MJHSupra
06-12-2020, 01:36 PM
Thanks for the help, boat is good to go threw a great wave out in lake whatcom. Officially bought an impeller puller after busting the hell out of my knuckles getting that out. Thanks for all of the help!

Find any deals on the impeller puller?