PDA

View Full Version : Best Surf Boat

abayard
05-05-2020, 03:01 PM
Hey there everyone,

I hope all is well. I appreciate all of the help to come. My brother and I are in the market for our first surf boat. We are looking to spend $80k or less (hopefully), and are curious on the best surf boat we can find that makes the best wave. I've done a ton of research, but curious on what everyone else thinks.

I've looked at the Mojo, Makai, the Supreme's, Axis, etc. and we definitely want something 23' or more. After doing a lot of research, it seems Axis lacks in interior compared to Moomba, but I can't find much comparing the waves unless it is completely biased one way or the other.

I've recently found Supreme boats and have seen great reviews (some even saying some of the best surf waves out there) but was curious on everyone else's thoughts. We are in North Carolina, so having dealers nearby is very important for us for service, but we also don't want to sacrifice on the surf wave.

I think that is everything, let me know if you all have any questions / recommendations!

Thanks,
Andrew

schwan
05-05-2020, 03:13 PM
I ride our mojo and a buddies axis t23. The waves are just different. In my neck of the woods, MN, everyone seems to think surf gate is the best and anything without it is junk. The difference in my comparison is our mojo has a better lip on the wave for airs, and an axis seems to have a wider sweet spot so I can get bigger bottom turns, but the lip isn't as good and the wave isn't as long on the axis compared to our mojo. A lot of these things are personal preference, with enough weight and moving it around, you can create and change your wave as you see fit. I don't really know much about other brands, but I do know if I were to buy again, I would stick with moomba, I'm happy with it. If I were shopping right now, I would get a 2020 Makai because of the better transmission ratio, maybe that was on the 19s too, I don't know, and the flow 3.0 plates. Just my 2 cents, good luck!

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

DNIXD99
05-05-2020, 03:22 PM
Unbiased is almost impossible. Also, theres more factors than just the boat. Water conditions, surfer abilities, upgrades, ect. ect, will all play a role in someone's opinion. I'd demo as many boats as possible. With today's technology, and all the exact fit upgrades offered, most new boats probably throw a decent wave. Most need upgrades tho. The guys buying the high dollar Supras are still adding lead.

That being said, the Moomba Max has the best wave anyone will ever see in this lifetime. Sincerely, a dedicated Max owner :)

sandm
05-05-2020, 05:25 PM
Unbiased is almost impossible.
That being said, the Moomba Max has the best wave anyone will ever see in this lifetime. Sincerely, a dedicated Max owner :)

best reply in this thread :)

assume you are speaking new and not used.
dealers locally will influence a lot of your decision since you stated you want dealers close by so it would be better to list which brands you are considering and all others are out the window..
in the value boat segment for surfing I'd look at the following:
moomba max
supreme 238
mb 23ft
atx 24

all will produce great waves with some minor weight tweaks. the atx is likely going to be the highest price of the 4 but will require the least in added ballast/extra cost. skip axis. too many negatives with that line compared to the others.

supreme is the only dealer I have in vegas(other than axis) and that would not stop me from shopping the other 3 however I'd probably drop mb and focus on supreme/moomba/atx and pick the one that best fits your family needs and pocketbook. all will produce great waves that unless you are a pro rider you should be happy with.....

good luck.

Isaguel
05-05-2020, 07:25 PM
An 80k budget does open up many options. I agree with sticking with 23' or larger. You mentioned you and your brother, didn't mention ages. If you are young you're prolly gonna have a boatload of friends every weekend and you'll need the extra space, plus room for beer. I sometimes wish I had more space. I could not go any smaller now. As far as waves, I've ridden in MC's, Axis, momba and I find the wave is partially affected by the boat but most importantly the operator. You can get a great wave from just about any boat if you know what you are doing. My buddy's MC X23 2004 put out a healthy wave with tons of push and it did not even have surf tabs or plates. My Moomba's wave absolutely sucked out of the box, I was so frustrated and about to give up, now it produces a tall long wave with great push.
Point is, you wont get a good feel for the capability of the boat by test driving since most boats need more weight and other tweaks. Look at interior fit and finish, features, space, price and ability to add weight, and then decide. I think reliability has much to do with how well you maintain and care for the boat.

80k is a lotta dough man, its puts you in a comfortable position of having many options to choose from in the mid price segment.

MJHSupra
05-05-2020, 08:59 PM
If you like the Supra brand, a used SG 2015-16 are good boats. Depending on motor and hours, they are right around 80ish.

The SA was redesigned in 2016, would not recommend the previous year hull, not deep enough. A 16 or 17 would be > $80k starting. Nice boats.

Sent from my P00I using Tapatalk

larry_arizona
05-06-2020, 09:17 AM
I agree ^^^^^^ if you can stretch to an SG or 16+ SA you will not regret it.

Here is a killer 2016 SG550 for sale, scrape up an extra $7k

2016 Supra SG 550 for sale
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/topic?share_fid=27865&share_tid=34989&url=https%3A%2F%2Fforum%2Emoomba%2Ecom%2Fshowthrea d%2Ephp%3Ft%3D34989&share_type=t&link_source=app

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DNIXD99
05-06-2020, 10:47 AM
I agree ^^^^^^ if you can stretch to an SG or 16+ SA you will not regret it.

Here is a killer 2016 SG550 for sale, scrape up an extra $7k

2016 Supra SG 550 for sale
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/topic?share_fid=27865&share_tid=34989&url=https%3A%2F%2Fforum%2Emoomba%2Ecom%2Fshowthrea d%2Ephp%3Ft%3D34989&share_type=t&link_source=app

Great photo of the wave in that Ad too.

Shoebox
05-06-2020, 01:12 PM
Hey there everyone,

I hope all is well. I appreciate all of the help to come. My brother and I are in the market for our first surf boat. We are looking to spend $80k or less (hopefully), and are curious on the best surf boat we can find that makes the best wave. I've done a ton of research, but curious on what everyone else thinks.

I've looked at the Mojo, Makai, the Supreme's, Axis, etc. and we definitely want something 23' or more. After doing a lot of research, it seems Axis lacks in interior compared to Moomba, but I can't find much comparing the waves unless it is completely biased one way or the other.

I've recently found Supreme boats and have seen great reviews (some even saying some of the best surf waves out there) but was curious on everyone else's thoughts. We are in North Carolina, so having dealers nearby is very important for us for service, but we also don't want to sacrifice on the surf wave.

I think that is everything, let me know if you all have any questions / recommendations!

Thanks,
AndrewWhen I was looking last year, I demoed a LOT of boats, new and used. My original budget was also about $80k. I was coming from a Moomba Mondo, but brand wasn't particularly important in my search. I tested new Axis A22, Centurion Fi22, Makai, 2016 MC X30, 2019 MC X24 (that one was never in the price range, but I'm not gonna turn down a demo session on one), 2015 G25, and several others I'm forgetting at the moment. I was also considering a 2016 Supra SG.

The absolute best wave was on the X24, unsurprisingly. It was a monster.

We ended up bumping up the budget to $100k, because we demoed the Makai and fell in love. Then the wife went to the showroom to look at it again, where it was sitting next to a Supra SL450. And the budget became $120k. [emoji23]

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

russellsmojo
05-06-2020, 04:23 PM
When I was looking last year, I demoed a LOT of boats, new and used. My original budget was also about $80k. I was coming from a Moomba Mondo, but brand wasn't particularly important in my search. I tested new Axis A22, Centurion Fi22, Makai, 2016 MC X30, 2019 MC X24 (that one was never in the price range, but I'm not gonna turn down a demo session on one), 2015 G25, and several others I'm forgetting at the moment. I was also considering a 2016 Supra SG.

The absolute best wave was on the X24, unsurprisingly. It was a monster.

We ended up bumping up the budget to $100k, because we demoed the Makai and fell in love. Then the wife went to the showroom to look at it again, where it was sitting next to a Supra SL450. And the budget became $120k. [emoji23]

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I would just say...well played sir

Isaguel
05-06-2020, 06:46 PM
Then the wife went to the showroom to look at it again, where it was sitting next to a Supra SL450. And the budget became $120k.

Ok sir, the wife upped the budget! You have a keeper:cool:

jason1973
05-07-2020, 11:33 AM
Any of these boats will surf. I will try to give you the most unbiased position as possible.

The moomba's will have far better fit and finish. I looked at Axis and i was disappointed. I looked at many at a bunch of different dealers and all the same. Attention to detail on Axis is just NOT there. Not mention a higher price point.

that being said, the axis will surf right out of the gate (surf gate). You will of course have to add ballast but you will need to order more ballast with any moomba. Stock they just don't have enough.

Surf gate will produce a surf wave but its static, meaning little changes.. what it is is what it is, forever. With moomba or MC or others, the wave can be adjustable but again you will need a bunch of ballast and probably have to learn how to make the wake. With surf gate its deploy and go basically.

I too like Supreme but be careful as the draft on supreme and Centurion is quite a bit more than other boats. Upwards of 32" so if you are going thru any shallow areas keep this in mind. Especially if your weighted or have a bunch of people on board it will most likely be down over 3'.

I would make sure first and foremost you are happy with the dealer over the brand.

larry_arizona
05-07-2020, 12:20 PM
Great heads up on the Centurion draft depth.

Fi’s are 32”, Vi’s 36” and Ri’s 37”, that is a deep boat for many inland lake launches.

DNIXD99
05-07-2020, 01:04 PM
Any of these boats will surf. I will try to give you the most unbiased position as possible.

The moomba's will have far better fit and finish. I looked at Axis and i was disappointed. I looked at many at a bunch of different dealers and all the same. Attention to detail on Axis is just NOT there. Not mention a higher price point.

that being said, the axis will surf right out of the gate (surf gate). You will of course have to add ballast but you will need to order more ballast with any moomba. Stock they just don't have enough.

Surf gate will produce a surf wave but its static, meaning little changes.. what it is is what it is, forever. With moomba or MC or others, the wave can be adjustable but again you will need a bunch of ballast and probably have to learn how to make the wake. With surf gate its deploy and go basically.

I too like Supreme but be careful as the draft on supreme and Centurion is quite a bit more than other boats. Upwards of 32" so if you are going thru any shallow areas keep this in mind. Especially if your weighted or have a bunch of people on board it will most likely be down over 3'.

I would make sure first and foremost you are happy with the dealer over the brand.

Im confused by the Axis statement. You need to upgrade the Axis ballast or no? Just curious, Im not well informed with Axis. Also, Ive heard the surf gates can be a gas hog, because of the drag. Dont know if thats true tho.

sandm
05-07-2020, 02:15 PM
cousin went thru 2 'bu's that had sg on them. said they are an absolute biotch to turn back to pick up a rider if it's deployed and a little challenging to steer when runing as the boat wants to crab. fuel usage is higher than non-gated boats and wave was good but not the best he had been on. his boats were stock plus some lead iirc.

axis interior would be a no go for me no matter the feedback.

haknslash
05-07-2020, 05:35 PM
I try and stay unbiased in my thoughts on these boats, cars, bikes, whatever. Obviously I picked Moomba but there are many reasons why and all detailed in my Axis vs Moomba video thread https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?34837-Moomba-Max-vs-Axis-A22-video-comparison. I shopped all the brands in my area for 1.5 years, sometimes multiple demos or visits to the dealership of the same brand, before we finally decided on the Moomba being our best choice for us. YMMV but I feel we made the right decision. Axis and Bu put out a nice wave but it kind of ended there for us.

In short an Axis will:

Make a taller, bigger wave "stock" (this means has to be optioned with the plug n play ballast) than a stock Moomba but it's not adjustable unless you get Power Wedge (2019+ IIRC). Once you add ballast to the Moomba the waves are legit and can be shaped to your liking. There is no shaping the wedge of a floating wedge Axis boat.
Ride much rougher than a Moomba because they don't have a trim / center plate and the hull is garbage in terms of ride quality.
Be more likely to take a wave over the bow compared to a higher freeboard Max or similar Moomba or Supra.
Have tons of plastic in the interior compared to a Moomba. Chevy Astro levels of plastic and about the same quality as a 90's GM product
Will have an inferior tower to the Roswell used on Moomba's. The tower on an Axis is not counter weighted and just a really bad design where you can mess up the interior fabric if you're not careful when folding the side plates and it might take two people to put it down or up if you have multiple pairs of speakers on the tower.
Will be less fuel efficient than likely any surf tab boat when it comes time to surfing or using the wedge. Both the wedge and surf gate cause a lot of drag.
Sucks to turn when surf gate is deployed.
Personal preference but the window design is ugly and has a bad blind spot at the 2 o'clock position.
Torque just wasn't there for us compared to Raptor power plant. This could have been attributed to prop or v drive gear ratio but full ballast and wedge down on an Axis takes FOREVER to plane out. Raptor is a "hit it and hold the F on" kind of power!

Above all else if buying new, the dealership is nearly as important as the boat purchase. Having a nice boat is great and all but if your dealer sucks it's going to make it a nightmare when it comes time to service, warranty work, support you, etc. It doesn't matter if it's a Pavati or a Heyday. If the dealer sucks the experience will suck.

abayard
05-16-2020, 09:26 AM
Guys,

Thanks for all the feedback, this is super helpful. My brother and I are 28 and 24, we’ll be with friends and family all the time so the bigger boats are definitely a must. I have been leaning towards Moomba since we started, and this has validated my thoughts.

One boat I haven’t heard much about are the nautiques. Is it worth looking into them at all for a used 2016+? Or just stick with the centurion / Supra if our budget goes up?

Also, out of the Moomba line, which boat would you say surfs the best? Was looking at the Mojo and Makai mostly. What would I need to add to these 2019+’s to throw out this awesome surf wave I’m hearing about?

Thanks guys!