PDA

View Full Version : Max Exhaust Noise with FAE

htfit
04-29-2020, 09:59 PM
I recently installed the FAE on my Max and the kids wanted to tube today. I would do a turn at 15mph and it sounded like my FAE fell off. It went from quite to loud exhaust noise. It scared the crap out of me as I thought the FAE came off and started to panic. I slowed down enough prepared to gas it if water came flooding in and I didn't notice any water. I stopped and inspected the FAE and it was intact and fine.

After some more testing whenever I would turn somewhat sharp at any speed 10mph or faster the exhaust noise amplifies and gets really loud. Probably similiar to the FAE not being on there. My only guess is that the tip is no longer in the water when turning so it gets louder but I really don't see how that is possible. The tip is almost a foot in the water.

Plus, it is probably a lot louder because when I installed the FAE I removed the baffle.

I never noticed it before because we mainly only surf and when we turn it is at idle to pick up the surfer.

On my old Moomba I never experienced that and it had an FAE. Anybody else have that issue or know what I am talking about? I am sure (hope) it is normal but just want some reassurance.

Thank you!

Stazi
04-29-2020, 10:02 PM
Yep, when you turn hard, you make a pocket in the water that allows the FAE to vent to atmosphere. The solution is to stab your tube with a knife and place it in the trash.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

htfit
04-29-2020, 10:37 PM
Yep, when you turn hard, you make a pocket in the water that allows the FAE to vent to atmosphere. The solution is to stab your tube with a knife and place it in the trash.

lol. Yep that would work.

I still can't get over how much louder it is with the baffle gone. I don't remember it being that loud without the FAE and with baffle in there.

I guess the other variable really thinking about it is, this was the first time out since I installed the Kilmat on the floor and hatch. The first thing my brother noticed was how quite it was and he didn't even know I installed it. So it being really quite and then all of sudden hearing the exhaust when turning was a huge difference.

Stazi
04-29-2020, 10:40 PM
Yep. Works great!