PDA

View Full Version : Simple engine question

racerready
03-19-2007, 06:42 PM
Looking forward to getting my new to me 01 Mobius in the water this season, I'm new to this type of boat and motor so my learning curve is huge. My experience with past boat motors is that they all have their little quirks and subtleties. Any tips or tricks about running the carb Indmar in my 01? It's all stock no extra goodies and will be used primarily only on weekends and left in the water during the week for the lack of other options. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

On a side note...love the forum, tons of great advice.

Buttafewcoe
03-20-2007, 04:26 AM
For a cold start, pump the throttle a couple times and return to the neutral position before cranking the engine. Let the motor warm up a couple minutes b4 taking off on your adventures. For a warm start, crack the throttle lever open slightly then crank the engine.
If everything is in good working order, that is all you should have to do.
Hope this helps,
B

JoeTechie
03-20-2007, 11:07 AM
The owners manual has excellent info on starting and safety proceedures.
If the boat does not come with an owners manual, this is very close:
http://www.moomba.com/library/owner_manuals/moomba_02.pdf

Enjoy the new toy !

-Joe

NH Moomba
03-20-2007, 07:59 PM
I think your biggest learning cure with this type of boat will probably be parking it and backing it up. It is a huge difference from an I/O or outboard.

Andy

bobwells
03-22-2007, 07:18 AM
Hey race ready, congrats on the "new" ride ! I just got my "new "98" mobius Christmas this year and love it. I saw you were talking about leaving your boat in the water during the week. Being in canada with cooler water you may not have a problem, but I live in north florida and with the warmer water temps comes some serious algae growths on the bottom of boats. I learned this in past years, it will literally stain the bottom so bad you cant get it all out. I never leave my new ride in but a cpl. days even in continous use, and I live on a lake. I'd rather go thru the hassle of loading it every day vs. the staining of the bottom. One more thought, many of these boats so I've heard (mine does) leaks around the packing seal, not bad but a little, if you do leave it for extended times w/out checking it I would install a auto bilge pump. just food for thought, there is a lot more folks on here that are more vs.'d on these boats than I, so I'm sure you will be surrounded with help. I'm sure you will enjoy this boat like crazy, I have NO regrets with this purchase. be safe! bob

NH Moomba
03-22-2007, 02:03 PM
I leave mine in all season in NH and yes I do get a buildup of algea and something that looks like a rust colored stain. It comes right off with a special cleaner you can get at any boat store. It is part of my winterization to use the cleaner. For my situation, a lift is impractical. Even if I could put one in I probably wouldn't do it. It's enough of a pain just taking the dock out and putting it back in in the spring. If I lived in somewhere where I could leave the lift in year round, I would definately get one.

Most people on this site would be horrified at the idea of leaving the boat in the water. I have not had any blistering problems and never did on my two previous I/O's.

racerready
03-22-2007, 04:04 PM
Thanks for the great info, it's awesome the way this community helps each other out. The tip on the auto bilge is much appreciated, I'm in 30 feet of water at the dock so that could make for a nasty weekend surprise. Would a 2nd battery be required for that or should I just run that off shore power?

bobwells
03-22-2007, 06:58 PM
you wouldnt need a 2nd battery maybe just keep a trickle charger hooked up, a bilge will draw very little power. Whats the name of the cleaner stuff New Hampshire? thanks bob

NH Moomba
03-22-2007, 10:00 PM
It is called "On & Off Hull and Bottom Cleaner" and I bought it at West Marine. It is really nasty smelling stuff so get a long handled brush to put it on with a long arm on a windy day. It doesn't take very much, I can probably do the whole bottom with less than 1-1/2 cups. Just paint it on and wash it right off.

Andy

bobwells
03-23-2007, 06:16 AM
thanks Andy, I'll ck it out, I got an old bass boat he has a serious case of the scrunge! Yall have a great wk. end> bob

realleigh
04-10-2007, 01:29 AM
Hello raceready, I am on a lake just north of Montreal, and leave my 99 Outback in for 4 weeks at a time. The white hull yellows at the waterline, and will not scrub off in the water. I was put on to Star Brite Hull Cleaner by a friend - use away from the water, and don't inhale near it - the stuff is magic and sprays on - in a minute the stains disappear. You'll need to wax afterwards - any marine carnuba will do. One bottle ($20.00) is good for 5 cleanings.

For the battery/bilge concern, Can Tire has a nice solar panel trickle charger that will keep the battery charged.

I agree with all of the advice on engine issues, and will add my voice to the concern about watching the packing on the drive shaft through the hull - they are designed to leak, slowly. The manual is clear on keeping the paking packed properly.

Enjoy the boat, I am beginning my second year with mine.

DAF