PDA

View Full Version : The Evolution of Wake Boat Features & Options... What's Next?

Mondo Ken
04-22-2020, 07:31 AM
Morning All,

In my opinion, wake boats have come a long way in regards to the advancements of features and options that they now offer compared to 5 years ago.

Below are some of the features I consider to be major developments over the past few years:

Automatic Wake Set-up - All Brands
Touch Screen Dash(s) - All Brands
Power Towers - Premium Brands
Power Telescoping Tower - Nautique (Paragon)
Transom/Sundeck Loungers - Supra, MC, Nautique
SeaDek/Gator Step - All Brands
Integrated Garbage/Recycling - Premium Brands
Sub Floor Ballast - Premium & Some Entry Level Brands
Power & Heated Helm Seats - Premium Brands
Chill Tech Vinyl - Premium Brands
Tower & Transom Cameras - Premium Brands
Integrated GoPro Controls - Premium Brands
Thrusters - MC, BU, Pavati
Toilet - MC (X26)
Swim Platform Step - BU
Surf Locker/Storage - Premium Brands
Bimini Surf Storage - Most Brands
Surf Subs - Nautique (Paragon)
Remote Watch/Fob Surf Controller - Nautique, BU, Pavati
Wireless Charging - All Brands
FAE - All Brands
Programable RGB Led Lighting - Premium Brands

Extreme Pavati Features:

Chilled Cup Holders
Heated Cabin Seats
Surf Screen
Hide-A-Way Bimini
Diesel Motor Option (?)
Remote Start
Remote Battery On/Off

We all know that manufacturers will 'borrow' or improve on ideas from the other manufacturers, and some options from the premium brands do end up on their entry level counterparts. What do you think will be the next game changing feature to be introduced into the wake boat world or what would you as an avid wake boat owner like to see added as an option in future models?

My thoughts for a new feature would be since everyone wants more ballast, I would like to see the ballast be able to fill to equal the total registered combined weight of the boat based on the number (weight) of passengers, gear and ballast.

Example: 2020 Kaiyen - Total allowable weight 5,800 lb (2,100 passengers & gear + 3,700 ballast)

700 lb (4 people) & 200 lb (gear) = 900 lb + 4,900 lb of ballast
1,600 lb (8 people) & 200 lb (gear) = 1,800 lb + 4,000 lb ballast

This would give the opportunity for people who have a smaller crew the ability to still maximize the registered weight without going over and it would avoid having to change bags or add lead. How they were to accomplish this... I don't know as I'm not a Matt Brown... manual input of passengers weights?... sensors?...
I know this if this were it be a possibility, the first hack people would attempt would be to override the weight calculation to achieve full ballast with a full crew.

Isaguel
04-22-2020, 07:56 AM
Once battery tech improves substabtially and energy density can be at least doubled, andcharging time cut by 80%, electric motors in boats may become an option. Mainly for those who are fuel consumption conscious. It would cost me 180 $ at one point to fill up last year and It would last a weekend. No noxious fumes in the back affecting the surfer, no need for FAE. Heavy batteries=integrated ballast! Instant torque, quiet for those who like quiet.
Me personally, I love the sound of that grumbling V8, but as things are going, you never know. It'll be a while yet before battery tech gets to the point it can support marine applications. It would likely cause a reversal in tech in boats to conserve energy. Like removing the touch screens, power towers and energy hogging subs/speakers that consume a lot of energy and possibly revert to analog and manual stuff.

Another tech, marine grade TV screens, drop down from Bimini tower. At end of day you can sit back I the boat and watch the Vikings game over a beer, or go over some of the recorded video from surfing, I dunno, just thinking. I personally can't see myself using or needing one, but some would.

sandm
04-22-2020, 02:14 PM
not sure I see batteries/motors as a replacement for a gas engine in the near future. too many like to spend 7-8hrs a day on the water and with the throttle punched to pull a boarder/surfer up I would think battery life would be less than a car charge. that said wonder if anyone is playing around with a hybrid. battery and electric motor to power and a small gas engine to charge the batteries.
the downside to this tech would be weight on a trailer and more batteries means decreased people capacity. if these boats started all needing 3/4ton to tow with, sales would likely drop.

me? I would like to see a true budget boat in the 60's brand new with a decent interior, gsa, basic stereo to build on and no screens. back to the good old gauges/switches. all the tech is nice for those that trade/upgrade every 2-4years but if you like to hold on to your stuff for 10 years OR you are in the used market, the more tech these boats have the more expensive they get to keep up as they age.
a lot of this tech that has come out over the last 10 years is only being used for 2 or 3 model years and then changed. as this stuff isn't used anymore parts are going to become harder and harder to find and with it all tied in you are stuck as the end user.

zabooda
04-22-2020, 03:30 PM
If you live in Washington state, the goofballs in the legislature endorse the New Green Deal and there is a proposal to require all motorcycles be electric by 2030. It doesn't follow logic but many people running this state don't follow that. Boats may be next.

haknslash
04-22-2020, 03:37 PM
Yea I don't see battery powered boasts viable unless solar charging technology has massive leaps lol. Would suck to have to limit your time on the water based off charge/battery life lol. No way EV boat would last for weekend or hours on end with full ballast + big crew + big stereo.

That and I personally don't care for EV stuff as none of them have any soul. I like to hear, feel and smell my engines. Don't flame me to any Tesla or EV fans lol. Just not my cup of tea.

Isaguel
04-22-2020, 08:59 PM
I forgot to mention, a stern thruster should become standard and much less expensive than they are now. One of those techs that should gradually trickle down to the lower price point boats. I have become pretty adept at maneuvering a V-drive, but I have to say, on some windy days, when pulling into some tight spaces at the dockside restaurant I wish I had a thruster. It can be very challenging and risky for the gelcoat.

ktenan12
04-23-2020, 08:39 AM
not sure I see batteries/motors as a replacement for a gas engine in the near future. too many like to spend 7-8hrs a day on the water and with the throttle punched to pull a boarder/surfer up I would think battery life would be less than a car charge. that said wonder if anyone is playing around with a hybrid. battery and electric motor to power and a small gas engine to charge the batteries.
the downside to this tech would be weight on a trailer and more batteries means decreased people capacity. if these boats started all needing 3/4ton to tow with, sales would likely drop.

me? I would like to see a true budget boat in the 60's brand new with a decent interior, gsa, basic stereo to build on and no screens. back to the good old gauges/switches. all the tech is nice for those that trade/upgrade every 2-4years but if you like to hold on to your stuff for 10 years OR you are in the used market, the more tech these boats have the more expensive they get to keep up as they age.
a lot of this tech that has come out over the last 10 years is only being used for 2 or 3 model years and then changed. as this stuff isn't used anymore parts are going to become harder and harder to find and with it all tied in you are stuck as the end user.

Interesting comment about a boat in the 60's. I'm sure most people will laugh at me for one reason or another when I say I owned a Heyday, but for their price point I do think they're a good boat. Having said that, now that I'm a Moomba owner, I'd never go back. But at $35k, my Heyday wasn't a bad boat. I also sat in a 2020 at the local boat show and I'll say I was very impressed. They have made some nice improvements and again, at their price point they are worth considering. They're very basic and easy to operate. And once you learn how to set it up correctly, they produce a great wave. The concept of the original center helm made sense on paper, but those boats are not people friendly at all. They've since moved away from that design and all their models are a side console. Anyone not ready to make the jump in price should look at those boats.