PDA

View Full Version : Floating a Boat Lift

blackchrome
04-20-2020, 11:18 AM
Hello All,

Beginning to ponder a better method of installing/removing our boat lift. Typically, I rely on the myself and the help of my neighbors - usually 4 - 6 people in total. It is is still bear to remove and install, even once we get the wheels on. I've been toying with the idea of adding air to float it out into place. Anybody here have some easy hacks? A google search returns ballast bags as an option (i.e. Sumo, FatSac, etc.) - has anyone used accessory ballast bags filled with air? I've also considered buying tractor tubes to place at each corner: air them up to float it, but would need a method to remove the air once in the water. Maybe even leave them under the lift during the summer (deflated of course). Looking for ideas - happy boating all!

jason1973
04-20-2020, 11:35 AM
i have seen this done. Basically they are fatsacs filled with air. But after installing my boat lift each year i just pay the pontoon with the crane out it to lift it out and put it in every summer. Not sure if you have that service but for $80 each time its well worth it.

zabooda
04-20-2020, 12:20 PM
We use lift bags often at dive rescue to bring up vehicles. You need to set them low and situated to balance the load. Lift bags are made of heavy duty material as there is a fair amount of abrasion from them shifting, sharp edges on the lift and rubbing against the lake bottom. You could try one of your bags converted for pressurized air. You need to determine the bag size needed based on the weight of the lift. The bags we use have the max weight lift already determined.

yearround
04-20-2020, 12:41 PM
i have no experience with a lift. but we use 55 gallon plastic drums under the house boat to help lift and level when we are tied up on the beach. people seem to gather on the back and it sinks more than desirable. we put the barrel in the water, let it fill with water to sink, then connect a hose to a tube pump and fill with air and displace the water. i have no idea if this would work for your lift issue, but if you are going all DIY, i could see attaching the barrels to the lift and then using the barrel to both raise and then sink the lift.

great problem to enjoy.

mikenehrkorn
04-20-2020, 02:14 PM

I see these used as well as using an old row boat (assuming one is available)...