PDA

View Full Version : Settle an argument re: anchors

Jimm
04-13-2020, 08:05 PM
for my '04 Outback on a clay/mud bottom. I've gotten 3 opions and none of them match mine, which to protect my fragile ego Ima not gonna say!!! But its not the 15lb mushroom anchor that came in the boat. Thanks.

Surf Wagon
04-13-2020, 08:07 PM
Box

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

mikenehrkorn
04-13-2020, 08:09 PM
I also have a mud bottom lake and really haven't gotten any anchor EXCEPT a box anchor to work consistently. I swear by mine...

haknslash
04-13-2020, 08:16 PM
Agree with the others.

Clay, mud and silt bottoms here as well. Box anchor will hold like a champ in it! Actually if it’s rough out or in stiff current you might think your anchor is trapped under a tree when you try and pull it up lol. It sticks that good in mud and clay bottoms!

The only time I have it struggle to hold is in small pebble rock bottoms in rough conditions. Then again aside from a massive Mantis anchor lol I don’t know what would stick in those conditions. If it’s too rough in that cove or too exploded to the main channel in those fine pebble or rock bottoms then I move to a more calm or secluded cove and it holds fine.

Only time I used a mushroom anchor was when I had a jet ski. It sucked because all it does is bob up and down since there is nothing to dig into the bottom. Previous boat we used a Danforth style and it struggled to hold and always favored rolling to one side making the flukes marginally effective at best.

Get yourself a box. It will hold especially in mud, clay and silt bottoms!!

MLA
04-13-2020, 09:41 PM
I use a danforth style with chain and proper length of rode. Our lakes have a clay mud bottom and rarely an issue holding a 22ft boat with bimini deployed.

Stazi
04-13-2020, 10:08 PM
I use a danforth style with chain and proper length of rode. Our lakes have a clay mud bottom and rarely an issue holding a 22ft boat with bimini deployed.

Same for me. Danforth with a chain rode.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

haknslash
04-13-2020, 10:39 PM
Below are some pics pics from a trip to the gulf in the previous boat. It shows what I’m talking about with what we experienced using the danforth anchor. Notice it favored one side of the anchor than the other which causes the flukes to not fully or equally set. Even after setting it equally with my feet driving both flukes down into the sand it would always eventually roll. This is with proper scope / rode length. It worked well in I’d say 75% of the time under varying conditions for nearly 3 years. It wasn’t a bad anchor by any means but it wasn’t great either for us. The box anchor I’d say has worked 95% of the time in just one season of use and on larger lakes. I only used the box with the previous boat as a backup or secondary when the danforth couldn’t hold alone. So far so good using it by itself on a larger and heavier boat. I’m also glad I’m not dealing with an rusty, nasty anchor chain any longer that can stain or ding the gel as you retrieve. With the box you drop it and that’s it. Eazy peazy.

bteeter
04-14-2020, 10:01 AM
I second the box anchor. It holds like a champ in NC's clay/silt/muddy lake beds even on rough/windy days. Got tired of my danforth dragging all over and replaced it with this one. Well worth the $100 I paid on sale
https://www.overtons.com/slide-anchor-small-box-anchor-314790.html

sandm
04-14-2020, 01:55 PM
I used danforth to tie up at the sandbar in wisconsin. worked great. sandy bottom. just have to get out and step on it a little with feet to get it to set properly but when anchoring at the sandbar we were only in 4ft of water at most.
back home we never anchored as the reservoir banks were too steep to get anything to hold. have not tried at mead as no anchor on current boat and not really a fan of some of the desert dwellers that live off the beach so we just find a wide open spot and drift :)

bergermaister
04-14-2020, 04:50 PM
I gave up on the danforth and chain because I ended up with a few dings in the gel of the compartment where it lived for storage when loading it back in. Most of our areas are sandy bottom.

Box anchor works the majority of the time and I love the way it folds up - however I did have an 'oh shit' moment anchored in shallow (4-5') water and the winds kicked up - it drug a nice trench across the bottom and put the boat in a bad spot.

Prospersigman
04-14-2020, 06:41 PM
1000% Box anchor, throw it in and done.

Turbinesurgeon
04-14-2020, 09:17 PM
I’d also agree on the box anchor. It’s rocky where I’m at and that anchor works great. I can imagine that it would work even better in the sand.

Surgical_ass
04-14-2020, 10:34 PM
I use the Richter anchor. It's been flawless for us. The part of the lake we hang out can get very busy with lots of wake and wind. It's never budged. Mud bottom

996scott
04-14-2020, 10:57 PM
i have a box anchor as well but i'm wondering what you guys use as far as a chain and rope go? do you use a chain or just a rope? And how thick of a rope do you use?

Surgical_ass
04-14-2020, 11:06 PM
i have a box anchor as well but i'm wondering what you guys use as far as a chain and rope go? do you use a chain or just a rope? And how thick of a rope do you use?

I use about 2.5' of heavy duty chain then attached anchor rope to it. The rope has a pre made metal eye that I attached to the chain.

Turbinesurgeon
04-15-2020, 02:05 AM

1/2” rope. Overkill but easier to pull up

Isaguel
04-15-2020, 08:23 AM
I do need an anchor that works better than the mushroom anchor I use now. Just so I am clear, is this what you are referring to as a box anchor:

https://www.amazon.com/Extreme-Max-3006-6652-BoatTector-Zinc-Plated/dp/B07D62VXGS/ref=sr_1_3?crid=C1RF5H1B8II6&dchild=1&keywords=box+anchor+for+boats&qid=1586953232&sprefix=box+anchor%2Caps%2C184&sr=8-3

ANd quick question, it seems most of the posts suggest this works beter in muddy or rocky bottom. WHat about bottoms with vegetation or sunken branches and other obstacles. Is there a risk of it getting stuck and unable to pull out. Should we have 2 different types of anchors depending on the lake we plan to go to. We have many lakes in Minnesota some are rocky sandy, some are very rich in vegetation and other bottom objects.

schwan
04-15-2020, 08:39 AM
Yes that's the box anchor, make sure it's the small size, you don't want/need bigger. A small has held two wake boats and a pontoon tied together on a windy day. I've tried every anchor and the box works best. I'm in MN and our lake is weedy, the box anchor is easier than others at getting out of the weeds.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

haknslash
04-15-2020, 08:59 AM

I don't use a chain with the box anchor. It's designed so that it doesn't require one. From their website:

"The Box Anchor is a state of the art offshore boating anchor that brings anchoring to a new level of sophistication by allowing you to have more control over the placement of your boat, regardless of the situation. It requires no chain and only a fraction of the line used for a traditional Danforth anchor, making the Box Anchor easier to handle than most other boat anchors available."

As for rope thickness I use a 1/2" rope. It's overkill for our size boat but better safe than sorry. A good rule of thumb for anchor rope thickness is 1/8" rope diameter for every 9' of boat.

schwan
04-15-2020, 09:43 AM
Also I was going to say my box anchor came with a vinyl bag with mesh that drains, works great for storage.

haknslash
04-15-2020, 11:16 AM
Yup we keep ours in the bag as well when not in use. Love the fact it can fold up and takes up minimal room.

Jimm
04-15-2020, 11:34 AM
See, I knew I would get a concensus of informed opinions from y'all. Thanks for the help. A box anchor was not in the original argument but now I can be right for sure! Already ordered one.

Prospersigman
04-15-2020, 01:11 PM
Don't forget a Danik Hook along with your Box Anchor. Throw the box anchor in, clip the Danik hook on to the eye on the front done.

https://www.amazon.com/Danik-Hook-Stainless-Knotless-System-Personal/dp/B00JGZGTDC/ref=sr_1_1?crid=2C09NB07F1A17&dchild=1&keywords=danik+hook+stainless+steel&qid=1586970556&sprefix=Danik%2Caps%2C187&sr=8-1

996scott
04-15-2020, 01:13 PM
I don't use a chain with the box anchor. It's designed so that it doesn't require one. From their website:

"The Box Anchor is a state of the art offshore boating anchor that brings anchoring to a new level of sophistication by allowing you to have more control over the placement of your boat, regardless of the situation. It requires no chain and only a fraction of the line used for a traditional Danforth anchor, making the Box Anchor easier to handle than most other boat anchors available."

As for rope thickness I use a 1/2" rope. It's overkill for our size boat but better safe than sorry. A good rule of thumb for anchor rope thickness is 1/8" rope diameter for every 9' of boat.

that's awesome, thanks.

schwan
04-15-2020, 01:32 PM
Yep, I second the danik hook, works great. I have the metal one, but a buddy has the smaller plastic one and it has been working too.

haknslash
04-15-2020, 01:38 PM
Don't forget a Danik Hook along with your Box Anchor. Throw the box anchor in, clip the Danik hook on to the eye on the front done.

https://www.amazon.com/Danik-Hook-Stainless-Knotless-System-Personal/dp/B00JGZGTDC/ref=sr_1_1?crid=2C09NB07F1A17&dchild=1&keywords=danik+hook+stainless+steel&qid=1586970556&sprefix=Danik%2Caps%2C187&sr=8-1

Oooh I need that! That will take the stress off my bow cleat when the boat starts to bounce from waves.

Surf Wagon
04-15-2020, 06:57 PM

https://www.amazon.com/Danik-Hook-Stainless-Knotless-System-Personal/dp/B00JGZGTDC/ref=sr_1_1?crid=2C09NB07F1A17&dchild=1&keywords=danik+hook+stainless+steel&qid=1586970556&sprefix=Danik%2Caps%2C187&sr=8-1I didn't order it for being afraid it was a gimmick. Must have!

Branden967
04-15-2020, 07:43 PM
I didn't order it for being afraid it was a gimmick. Must have!

I thought the same thing too! 40 bucks for the hook...to many puns there.

Turbinesurgeon
04-15-2020, 08:18 PM
I got this shore spike too. Very nice to have.

https://www.slideanchor.com/all-products/shore-spike

Surf Wagon
04-15-2020, 09:15 PM
I got this shore spike too. Very nice to have.

https://www.slideanchor.com/all-products/shore-spike

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkAgreed

DDNorCal
04-16-2020, 09:06 PM
100% Box anchor. Sand, clay, rock and heavy wind. I have never had an issue. Plus it is heavy and adds more ballast

Jimm
04-16-2020, 11:42 PM
Slide box anchor is due to arrive tomorrow! Gonna go throw it in just to try it out. Thanks for the advice.

bteeter
04-17-2020, 07:30 PM
Lowe’s has a box anchor on sale for $99. Great price. https://www.lowes.com/pd/Extreme-Max-BoatTector-Zinc-Plated-Cube-Anchor-Box-Style/1002478274

Jimm
04-20-2020, 10:24 AM
Y'all, this thing works amazingly well. Windy day anchored at a little island kids play on we didn't move an inch. Had three people who were drift all over ask me how I was staying put so I passed along the recommendation. Y'all rock. Thanks again.

haknslash
04-20-2020, 01:11 PM
Y'all, this thing works amazingly well. Windy day anchored at a little island kids play on we didn't move an inch. Had three people who were drift all over ask me how I was staying put so I passed along the recommendation. Y'all rock. Thanks again.

Glad to hear. It’s an awesome anchor!