PDA

View Full Version : Potential New Owner: 2020 Craz or Max

rhouse181
02-18-2020, 04:37 PM
Hey everyone, potential new owner here... I've been cross shopping the 2020 Max and Craz, and I think I've decided on the Craz due to the more traditional hull design. I've been reading all the posts on this forum and hate to bombard everyone with another "what should i do thread," but here I go...

I'm here in Houston and missed the local boat show. I've been dealing with Rinkers and they aren't really coming to the table to entice a purchase and have declined to even match the Moomba boat show promotion with the free Flow 2.0 and 7 yr warranty extension.

There is another boat show coming to San Antonio in the end of March and I can just drive down there to place my order... think South Austin Marine is the dealer represented. Are the boat show "discounts" real and would this be a sound strategy to get the best bang for the buck?

Appreciate the consideration in advance and look forward to contributing some sweet boat pictures to this forum in the future!

- Randall

RC_Hinojosa
02-18-2020, 05:42 PM
There are a lot of owners on here that are Rinker's customers and I think for the most part we all have a terrific relationship with the dealer.

If I have an issue, they go to bat for me and they are always wanting to make things right.

They go above and beyond for our wake community...sponsoring the TX Jam, GCWA events, Wake the World, etc. Last year, owners got VIP tickets to PWT Stop 1, which was in Katy.

Have you actually gone in person to speak with Jim or Will or Chris?

Or are you just conversing through email from a "Contact Me" button?

I wanna say the Houston Boat show was Jan 3rd-12th and usually you can expect the dealer to hold that pricing for maybe a month past the show if you had put down a deposit. I think you may be a tad late on that...but boat show discounts and incentives are real.

I hate to hear you aren't having the best experience with them but if you are in Houston you may wanna genuinely give it another try.

If the window has passed, you can't work something out and decide to buy from South Austin Marine....just keep in mind Rinker's gets crazy busy in the summertime and if for some unfortunate reason you need service work, you might just end up frustrated and hauling your boat to Austin. Food for thought.

If you are serious and ready to put down a deposit, PM me and I'll put you in contact with someone over there.

Sent from my Note9 using Tapatalk

sandm
02-18-2020, 07:04 PM
rc is spot on, especially on the part about holding pricing. can't expect a dealer to sit on boat show pricing for months afterwards BUT if other dealers are able to get it done a month later go down with check in hand for a spray date and see if it gets you anywhere.

if you're not happy with the deal then, and sure I'll get some pushback on this, I'd head to the next show and order there.
I bought my first supra from a dealer out of state and had no issues with service work at the local dealer and moved out of state 6 months after I bought my second new boat(tige) to an area that local dealer was an hour away and never had any issues with service at a competing brand dealer as they were closer. granted your experience may vary but unless it's a major issue the little nitpicky things that come up during that first year can be done over the winter when they would be happy to be doing warranty work to keep the shop busy.

on a related note, boat show discounts are legit, however sometimes you can get a better deal in the fall on a holdover boat so if you don't like either deal, sit out another summer and look for a holdover in october. might not be exactly the build you would have ordered but for me the second boat was quite a bit cheaper in july than it would have been in the spring at a boat show. worth the discount for the couple options it did and didn't have for us.

rhouse181
02-19-2020, 10:44 AM
Thank you both for the feedback.

I'm going to demo the Craz on Saturday and hopefully we can hammer something out. If not, I'll try the San Antonio boat show next month. There are a few 2019's that a lingering in inventory that I'm sure could be had for a good deal, but the colors are kind of crazy and they are optioned out to drive up the price. I like the shorter transmission gearing on the 2020s too...

Looking forward to joining the Moomba crew!

rhouse181
02-25-2020, 09:43 PM
Pulled the trigger on a 2020 Craz… now I just have to play that waiting game until the April spray date!

https://i.imgur.com/92UGnIf.png

https://i.imgur.com/yGCqliz.png

RC_Hinojosa
02-25-2020, 10:04 PM
Looks awesome, welcome to the SC fam!

haknslash
02-25-2020, 10:51 PM
Congrats and welcome to the SC family! Looks sharp!!

MJHSupra
02-26-2020, 12:23 AM
Houston dealer?

Sent from my P00I using Tapatalk

Shoebox
02-26-2020, 12:57 AM
Pulled the trigger on a 2020 Craz… now I just have to play that waiting game until the April spray date!

https://i.imgur.com/92UGnIf.png

https://i.imgur.com/yGCqliz.pngLooks great! Yours is the first I've seen with gray seats and tan flooring that I like. [emoji1360]

ktenan12
02-26-2020, 08:07 AM
Really like that color combo! Great looking boat!

rhouse181
02-26-2020, 10:19 AM
Houston dealer?

Sent from my P00I using Tapatalk

I went with the Houston dealer... they have been generous and worked with their SC rep to get the motor warranty extension to 7 yrs and a spray date acceleration from June to April.

Thanks for the kind words on the color combo. I really like the dark grey / brown gatorstep combo. We'll see if I regret the darker colors when it's 110 and the sun is trying to burn a hole through you, but at least we'll look good.

RC_Hinojosa
02-26-2020, 10:49 AM
I'm glad Rinker's was able to work something out with you...I wouldn't steer ya wrong [emoji6]

Save May 30th on your calendar, a little birdie told me PWT Stop #1 is coming back to Katy.

We'll have to do some tailgating and I'll introduce you to the TX Jam/GCWA folks [emoji482]

Here's the recap from last year...

https://youtu.be/wL38Ajxiews

Isaguel
03-03-2020, 11:25 AM
Very nice. I like the traditional hull design of the Craz. Clean lines, very functional. Bow in the Craz is ample. I like the dark interior vinyl. Looks sharp. I built a Supra SL with black and red interior, Oh, that looked sharp, my wife and daughter made me change it to a more conservative Pecan and khaki scheme, something about it getting too hot, blah, blah, blah. I had to compromise, oh well, gotta keep the harmony. Enjoy the new boat.

korey
03-04-2020, 10:57 AM
I love it! Congratulations! How long until its boat season in TX? That dark interior is going to look awesome, but it'll be HOOOT!

RC_Hinojosa
03-04-2020, 11:28 AM
I love it! Congratulations! How long until its boat season in TX? That dark interior is going to look awesome, but it'll be HOOOT!Water is still in the 60s but we should be good by early-mid April.

korey
03-04-2020, 12:52 PM
Water is still in the 60s but we should be good by early-mid April.

Sweet! It's been flirting with 60 here in KY this week. Still in the 30's at night though. lake Cumberland is up with a lot of debris right now, but there is a good possibility of a pontoon cruise this weekend! We usually start with the Moomba in early may. It's almost time!!!

DNIXD99
03-10-2020, 09:30 PM
Congrats. My Max is on Conroe. What lake are going to be using?

rhouse181
03-11-2020, 09:06 AM
Congrats. My Max is on Conroe. What lake are going to be using?

Most likely splitting time between Conroe and Somerville... would love to meet up with a fellow Moomba / Conroe expert to show me around the place. Seems like a tricky lake between the bulkheads and stump fields.

Where do you keep your boat?

DNIXD99
03-14-2020, 01:20 AM
Most likely splitting time between Conroe and Somerville... would love to meet up with a fellow Moomba / Conroe expert to show me around the place. Seems like a tricky lake between the bulkheads and stump fields.

Where do you keep your boat?

E-Z Boat storage and valet at the 1097 bridge. We usually surf in a cove just past the bridge. Deeper in the cove is "party cove" where a lot of boats park and hangout. Will at Rinkers is always out there in his Craz. Hell be able to help you with your setup too.

Isaguel
03-14-2020, 03:17 PM
Water is still in the 60s but we should be good by early-mid April.

60's! In Minnesota were surfing when water hits mid-hi 50's, in the fall, with wetsuits. I'll be out well before water temp hits 60's. Our warm seasons are so short, we have to take advantage and stretch it out as much as we can.

rhouse181
03-17-2020, 05:18 PM
Stuck working from home, stock market is melting down, and Tom Brady is no longer a New England Patriot... world is pretty depressing right now.

At least I have an April 23rd spray date to look forward to...

Can't wait to park my family in a cove after a surf session and really start practicing this social distancing thing!

DNIXD99
03-17-2020, 06:16 PM
At least you still have Belichick. Us Texan fans are crushed right now. Bill O'Brien is now hated more than Bud Adam's.

rhouse181
03-17-2020, 06:39 PM
At least you still have Belichick. Us Texan fans are crushed right now. Bill O'Brien is now hated more than Bud Adam's.

Yea the Hopkins trade makes no sense... it's especially bad when the Vikes got a 1st rounder plus more for Diggs the day after!

JohnMule
03-24-2020, 04:42 AM
Id really like to know that too

JackSully
03-24-2020, 07:20 AM
rhouse181... Nice :) I can't wait for some boat pictures.

RC_Hinojosa
03-24-2020, 07:56 AM
Id really like to know that tooO'Brien is garbage.

Being GM & Coach wasn't enough for him. He felt compelled to interject himself into players lives.

Hopkins may have kids with different moms but his behavior off field has been nothing less than stellar and he is staple of the philanthropic community in Houston.

Now Watson wants out after all the dirty laundry has been aired and us Houstonians can literally see the 2020 season disintegrate right before our very eyes.

larry_arizona
03-24-2020, 10:55 AM
O'Brien is garbage.

Being GM & Coach wasn't enough for him. He felt compelled to interject himself into players lives.

Hopkins may have kids with different moms but his behavior off field has been nothing less than stellar and he is staple of the philanthropic community in Houston.

Now Watson wants out after all the dirty laundry has been aired and us Houstonians can literally see the 2020 season disintegrate right before our very eyes.

Is Houston a sports mess right now? Texans and Astros?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC_Hinojosa
03-24-2020, 11:09 AM
Is Houston a sports mess right now? Texans and Astros?

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkYep. It's a clusterfuck.

The City of Houston is clamoring for O'Brien's head on a pike.

larry_arizona
03-24-2020, 11:16 AM
Yep. It's a clusterfuck.

The City of Houston is clamoring for O'Brien's head on a pike.

That sucks, huge Verlander fan from his Detroit days. I don’t feel too bad for Justin though, he has Kate and a 1/4 billion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rhouse181
03-24-2020, 03:17 PM
Some good news today... spray date accelerated to March 26th!

I'm sure there are some new schedule "vacancies" popping up considering the recent swing in the markets.

Hopefully we'll be on the water mid next month...

cepick
03-30-2020, 09:54 PM
Some good news today... spray date accelerated to March 26th!

I'm sure there are some new schedule "vacancies" popping up considering the recent swing in the markets.

Hopefully we'll be on the water mid next month...

You may want to double check that. Non-essential businesses are shut down here in Tennessee.

rhouse181
04-01-2020, 10:18 AM
It's been made to seem that the issue rests more with the rest of SC's supply chain... they just don't have the parts to finish boats right now.

Just got news that final production has been delayed from 4/2 to 4/15, but based on how things are going I wouldn't be surprised if the delay lasts longer.

rhouse181
04-01-2020, 02:39 PM
Desperate times call for desperate measures... thinking about swapping my Craz build to an in-stock Kaiyen:

https://i.imgur.com/D5GzKrD.jpg

Am i crazy?

RC_Hinojosa
04-01-2020, 03:39 PM
Desperate times call for desperate measures... thinking about swapping my Craz build to an in-stock Kaiyen:

Am i crazy?

I wouldn't. You should hold your gunpowder because the Craz you designed looks a million times better than the color combo on that Kaiyen.

At the end of the day it's your money. For the kinda dough being spent, I'd rather get exactly what I want, how I want it.

Just ask yourself if you are cool with settling for what's available at the moment.

If you wanna ride behind an older Craz, I plan on hitting LH next Wednesday when it's supposed to be 90°, hmu [emoji1687]

rhouse181
04-01-2020, 03:52 PM
I wouldn't. You should hold your gunpowder because the Craz you designed looks a million times better than the color combo on that Kaiyen.

At the end of the day it's your money. For the kinda dough being spent, I'd rather get exactly what I want, how I want it.

Just ask yourself if you are cool with settling for what's available at the moment.

If you wanna ride behind an older Craz, I plan on hitting LH next Wednesday when it's supposed to be 90°, hmu [emoji1687]

I agree that the fire red flake would not be my first choice, but it's decked out at a pretty attractive price. Here is the interior:

https://i.imgur.com/ixOapwN.jpg

korey
04-01-2020, 04:49 PM
If you like the Kayen and they're making you a good deal then i guess its your money. It's strange times for sure. I suggest you SIT in the bow of the Kayen before jumping "overboard". I'm 6'4" and can sit (upright with my back against the seatback) in the bow of the Craz and not quite touch the forward seatback with my feet. 2 adults is easy. The bow of the Kayen is tiny in comparison. 2 people my size up there would be a complete no-go. 2 kids, probably.

I really thought i wanted (almost NEEDED) the wider beam of the kayen. Honestly after spending an hour or more in one at the boat show I couldn't notice it at all.

Now, I'm sure the kayen is a surf monster! and the storage is pretty sweet. I just couldn't fall in love with it. In the end it was going to cost me $25k to make the upgrade to something I wasnt in love with, so I'm keeping the Craz!

But that's just the story from some dude on the internet who DIDN'T throw down the cash (me). It's you're money and you;re the only one who's gotta love it!

RC_Hinojosa
04-01-2020, 04:55 PM
I agree that the fire red flake would not be my first choice, but it's decked out at a pretty attractive price. Here is the interior:

The Fire Red is actually pretty sweet with the black hull. It's the white in between that kills it for me personally.

If the white section was black as well, the Fire Red would POP and it would go from meh to sick.

sandm
04-01-2020, 05:14 PM
I got a guy at work that's jonesing to buy a '10-'16 vette. he was ready to pull the trigger on a red one the other day and talked him off the ledge. he isn't seeing much in blue right now. told him to wait for the right deal. it'll come along. patience as they say.....
same with the boat. I'd wait for what you want. in the end I think you'll kick yourself a year or 2 down the road for settling.

but your money... :)

Kirby
04-02-2020, 09:21 AM
Are you saving money on the Kaiyen? If not, I'd add to my build and throw every option possible in the Craz, have the dealer throw in an extra 1k ballast midship. Many boats on lots don't have all the options and building is fun!

rhouse181
04-02-2020, 10:19 AM
Are you saving money on the Kaiyen? If not, I'd add to my build and throw every option possible in the Craz, have the dealer throw in an extra 1k ballast midship. Many boats on lots don't have all the options and building is fun!

The Kaiyen is optioned all the way out minus the pro tower and surf pipe... vs. my Craz was a budget build (Flow 2, G3, no autowake, etc). Compromise on the colors a bit, but getting a higher spec boat for very little extra coin that will hold a higher resale value in the long run.

I run a small crew with my wife, 4 yr old, and 2 yr old. I was already planning on upgrading ballast bags and adding lead to get the Craz dialed in, but I'm pretty confident the Kaiyen will throw a much nicer wave right out of the box.

Kirby
04-03-2020, 07:18 AM
In that case, I'd probably go Kaiyen too! I've seen a few posts this past week where people are getting great deals on lot boats. Plus the factory is closed.

korey
04-03-2020, 08:32 AM
Signals like a sweet deal!

I told the old lady lady night, "could you imagine if we had ordered a boat and it was delayed into june?!" I'd freak out!

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

DNIXD99
04-06-2020, 09:43 AM
The Kaiyen is nice. Personally, I like the blue one they have out of the choices.

rhouse181
04-06-2020, 11:21 AM
The Kaiyen is nice. Personally, I like the blue one they have out of the choices.

My wife's only non-negotiable is brown gatorstep... it's certainly limiting the options.

Hope to pick her up tomorrow!

DNIXD99
04-06-2020, 03:57 PM
My wife's only non-negotiable is brown gatorstep... it's certainly limiting the options.

Hope to pick her up tomorrow!

Red it is lol. I should be on Conroe Wed if you decide to take it out there.

rhouse181
04-11-2020, 01:52 PM
Successful maiden voyage with the Kaiyen… many smiles and oreo crumbs ground into the gatorstep!

Made some progress with the break in hours. Going from 3k to 4k rpm after 2 hrs on the clock was a cruel teaser for the full 5.4k potential. Boat handled the Conroe chop well... ready to fill up the ballast and surf already!

Few annoyances... the squared off bow burps spray straight forward when you hit wakes at idle speed which blows back onto the bow passengers if the wind is right. Engine cover rattles at idle, but that should be easy to remedy. Excited to learn more about the new girl.

https://i.imgur.com/4x8bjgK.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/5POzrgr.jpg

Kirby
04-11-2020, 02:34 PM
Congrats! Lots of stuff to play with.

DNIXD99
04-11-2020, 09:57 PM
Congrats. I'm sure I'll see you out there when the weather starts cooperating again. This cool front is a bummer.

Isaguel
04-12-2020, 11:16 AM
Rhouse, congrats, I really like those colors, as you can see from my avatar pic. I ordered another boat this spring and kept the red/blk,white theme, production delayed due to corona. Like the interior too. THe Kaiyen is a nice design. THe only qualm I had was the price which put it above the larger Mojo, but it sounds like you got a screaming deal so good for you on that. Enjoy!

haknslash
04-12-2020, 04:05 PM
Looks good and congrats!! Yea the break-in is such a tease :D