PDA

View Full Version : Moomba Max vs Axis A22 video comparison

haknslash
02-10-2020, 10:54 PM
Moomba vs Axis

I see these two boat brands brought up when people are shopping so I figured I would try and do a head to head comparison between the Moomba Max and the Axis A22 I demoed last year. I tried to stay as unbiased as possible even though we clearly chose the Max in the end. Both boats are great wake boats and I hope this video comparison helps someone new out there shopping these two models against each other. Obviously these are my opinions and everyone is different and that's totally ok. Hope you enjoy and can't wait for the season to start!!

https://youtu.be/otKoY1Ogpcw

haknslash
02-10-2020, 11:18 PM
Edit - one thing I forgot to mention in the video. At around 2:43 you see the engine hatch open on the Axis A22. I am sure I'm not alone in saying that while the massive deep engine hatch on the Max is awesome...it's also a major PITA to use if you want to check your oil or inspect you engine. There has GOT to be a better way to retain such a deep, nice wet storage compartment but also allow for easy access to the engine. Hopefully Skiers Choice resolves this issue in the next few years. I'll give a point to Axis for engine / check oil access even though their storage is like a 1/16 of the Max

Shoebox
02-10-2020, 11:56 PM
Maybe a walkthrough like on the Makai/Kaiyen would help. Though that would remove one distinction those boats have.

haknslash
02-11-2020, 12:47 AM
Yea I’m not sure if they would do that for the Max as you said it’s kind of a distinction they’re using for those two boats....for now at least. I know we can remove the strut to make opening it easier but to me that’s not really a solution to to the problem. I’ve briefly looked into cutting an angle out of the bin to help get around the strut but I don’t know or think it will help and not sure I want to sacrifice ruining my storage bin to find out :D

RUGER761
02-11-2020, 12:54 PM
Nice video! We didn't ever demo an Axis as the fit and finish at the show last year killed that deal pretty quickly in our eyes and at the show this year it still confirmed it. While I ride a BU during the week with friends on the river (very nice wake and good wave so A+ on that), on the lake I want my center tab for adjustability even while cruising across the lake where the wedge doesn't offer that especially a floating wedge. On the river its all business someone is wakeboarding or surfing the full time no cruising so the wedge is set the full time and works very well. I think about ever MFG and Model has its +&- just picking the one that works best for you is key and having a good dealer to go with it.

Is it spring yet?

sandm
02-11-2020, 01:41 PM
it would be an absolute no brainer for us after sitting in an axis a week ago vs moomba. skiers choice has done a superb job creating a value boat that is heads and tails above axis.

RUGER761
02-11-2020, 01:57 PM
I can only imagine how it would feel hitting a roller with the new stiff Axis foam. It would beat you to death on a rough day.

sandm
02-11-2020, 02:17 PM
just like riding in the hard plastic seats of a tilt-a-whirl :)

MJHSupra
02-11-2020, 10:57 PM
Nice video! Thanks for the time you put into that and sharing.

TobiasAndersen
02-12-2020, 06:29 AM
Damn, would love to have one. Hopefully i can one day!

Kirby
02-12-2020, 07:44 AM
Awesome vid! Your demo vid from last year helped us buy our Max, thanks for taking the time.

Swervy
03-03-2020, 06:57 PM
Hi, I'm lbrand new to the forum and I'm ooking at purchasing a 2018 Max and loved your detailed video and info. Question for the group, can you guys educate me on the big differences between the 18 and 19 models. I seem to be getting some conflicting information on the quality of vinyl and differences on the Autowake systems? Any additional info would be much appreciated. Thanks!

haknslash
03-03-2020, 08:27 PM
Hi, I'm lbrand new to the forum and I'm ooking at purchasing a 2018 Max and loved your detailed video and info. Question for the group, can you guys educate me on the big differences between the 18 and 19 models. I seem to be getting some conflicting information on the quality of vinyl and differences on the Autowake systems? Any additional info would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Hey Swervy glad you enjoyed the video!

Main differences for 2019 Max models:

upgraded vinyl (outgoing Supra materials)
Gatorstep added to the helm center section above steering wheel
Gatorstep flooring upgrade is adhesive backed (previous was snap-in)
Gelcoat lines revised to remove the white "skunk" stripe
glovebox latch is different
Ballast sensors with AutoWake
A3 tower standard with surf pockets
I think Wetsounds REV speakers
Rear ballast bags are different, hex vent caps added and different overflow vent line location on bags

Swervy
03-03-2020, 10:39 PM
Thanks for the info!!

So I think I'm about to pull the trigger on this one...

https://www.nisswamarine.com/default.asp?page=xPreOwnedInventoryDetail&id=8240688&p=1&vc=ski%2Fwake%20boat&s=Year&d=D&fr=xpreownedinventory

Do you think I would regret any of the upgrades from the 18 to the 19 model year? We are new to the sport but have been long time boat owners (2005 Four Winns Horizon - I know different planet than the inboard world :) )

haknslash
03-03-2020, 10:50 PM
I can't say if you would regret anything or not. In the end both boats will put out the same wave so I'd pick which boat you like the most in terms of color, options, price, etc and also dealer support if you're shopping against two different dealers. I came from a jet boat and the Max is our first wake boat so yea different beast altogether :D! I will say I preferred the 2019 changes as I wasn't a fan of the skunk stripe on the bow and I do love the surf pockets on the bimini. The only thing I dislike most is I wished the bimini were larger, especially covering more to the rest but all of the Moomba's have that issue. Really wished we had a longer Bimini like the Supra because sometimes you want some shade in those really hot days and would like more shade in the cockpit. Overall we LOVE our Max and it's a great boat. She needs more ballast than stock to make a nice wave but there's plenty of extra room to add ballast bags or lead plus still have storage space. It's a great boat and I don't think you can go wrong no matter the year.

Also forgot to mention one other change to the 2019's was different switches. 2018 were black and the 2019 went to a metal look style.

Shoebox
03-04-2020, 12:31 AM
Thanks for the info!!

So I think I'm about to pull the trigger on this one...

https://www.nisswamarine.com/default.asp?page=xPreOwnedInventoryDetail&id=8240688&p=1&vc=ski%2Fwake%20boat&s=Year&d=D&fr=xpreownedinventory

Do you think I would regret any of the upgrades from the 18 to the 19 model year? We are new to the sport but have been long time boat owners (2005 Four Winns Horizon - I know different planet than the inboard world :) )Hmm. That boat seems pretty base-model. What is the 2019 you're looking at? My buddy has a 2019 for sale, and it's LOADED, for $72,500. For 5k difference, I'd pass on that 2018.

Swervy
03-04-2020, 03:43 PM
Thanks for the responses!

The 19 I was looking at is this one...

https://www.onlyinboards.com/2019-Moomba-Max-for-sale-Minnetonka-Minnesota-105765.aspx

A bit more but private party sale so no sales tax.

My problem is budget. The CFO/Event Coordinator (wife) will not let me go past a certain amount. I'm sure I'm not the first person on this forum with that problem lol.

I'm also trying to stay local-ish on where the boats are located. Trying to avoid additional shipping costs.

kennyg
04-20-2020, 10:08 PM
Moomba vs Axis

I see these two boat brands brought up when people are shopping so I figured I would try and do a head to head comparison between the Moomba Max and the Axis A22 I demoed last year. I tried to stay as unbiased as possible even though we clearly chose the Max in the end. Both boats are great (https://techmoss.net) wake boats and I hope this video comparison helps someone new out there shopping these two models against each other. Obviously these are my opinions and everyone is different and that's totally ok. Hope you enjoy and can't wait for the season to start!!

https://youtu.be/otKoY1Ogpcw

thanks for your awesome video. keep it up.