PDA

View Full Version : Phase 5 Hammerhead

Byezb
02-04-2020, 09:05 PM
Anyone have any experience/ feedback on the new 2020 phase 5 hammerhead board? Curious on how the peanut shape performs? And why the change?

996scott
02-05-2020, 12:38 AM
don't have any experience with the hammerhead but i came across this video when i was looking at boards a while back. 2:53 they talk about the hammerhead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=177&v=vsRrqONLsJs&feature=emb_title

parrothd
02-05-2020, 01:38 AM
don't have any experience with the hammerhead but i came across this video when i was looking at boards a while back. 2:53 they talk about the hammerhead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=177&v=vsRrqONLsJs&feature=emb_title

Are you riding or learning revert? Aka the board backwards. The board is great for learning revert, otherwise I'd get a matrix.

MJHSupra
02-05-2020, 04:04 PM
Since the Hammerhead has a square nose, it would increase the surface area making it harder to pearl.

But I do not hear people talking about that issue on the Matrix w/the pointed nose.

Prospersigman
02-05-2020, 06:26 PM
Just buy the Matrix and you will never need another skim board ever. I mean if Parker Payne or Sean Silveira haven't outgrown the board I think you should be good.

parrothd
02-05-2020, 07:17 PM
Just buy the Matrix and you will never need another skim board ever. I mean if Parker Payne or Sean Silveira haven't outgrown the board I think you should be good.

Yep.......

Byezb
02-05-2020, 07:19 PM

That’s what i was thinking vs the new shape of the hammerhead.

KnoxMojo
02-05-2020, 07:22 PM

The Matrix is really advanced and not totally user friendly. I've known several to get it to only sell it after a month or 2. Hammerhead and Model X are great boards.

sandm
02-05-2020, 09:41 PM
that matrix looks an awful lot like the p5 daniello pro model I have had for around 8-10 years-ish.
everyone told me that board would be too hard to ride BUT it has turned into the boat board that I have used to teach almost every new surfer we have taken out.

it's not my fav as I prefer surf style but everyone loves the daniello and if the matrix is anything like it, I'd jump all over it.

hammerhead is interesting but I can't say I'd spend 6 or 7 bills on it. looks like a fad-shape that won't last.

MJHSupra
02-05-2020, 10:12 PM
The Matrix is really advanced and not totally user friendly. I've known several to get it to only sell it after a month or 2. Hammerhead and Model X are great boards.

Hey - Don't jinx me!! I found a good deal on the leftover 2019 Matrix after my 2020 Wakemakers deal fell through. Saved a few hundred on that one.

We will have a P5 board review on our boats this summer.

KnoxMojo
02-05-2020, 11:11 PM
Hey - Don't jinx me!! I found a good deal on the leftover 2019 Matrix after my 2020 Wakemakers deal fell through. Saved a few hundred on that one.

HAHAHA..Sorry dude, some really like it, maybe you will be one of them. Yeah, gotta get together more this summer.

Prospersigman
02-06-2020, 09:36 AM

If you surf it with the fin in it is totally user friendly. Once you take the fin out it becomes a little less user friendly, but until you can ride it without fins then you should be trying any 3's, shuv-its, 180, etc...you have to be able to ride it without fins before you start learning tricks.

RC_Hinojosa
02-06-2020, 09:46 AM
Just buy the Matrix and you will never need another skim board ever. I mean if Parker Payne or Sean Silveira haven't outgrown the board I think you should be good.Silveira has his own model now, it's the P5 Key...

Sent from my Note9 using Tapatalk

RC_Hinojosa
02-06-2020, 09:52 AM
The Matrix is really advanced and not totally user friendly. I've known several to get it to only sell it after a month or 2. Hammerhead and Model X are great boards.I got to ride a carbon Model X last year when I did my mentoring sessions with Silveira and really liked it.

KnoxMojo
02-06-2020, 09:55 AM
If you surf it with the fin in it is totally user friendly. Once you take the fin out it becomes a little less user friendly, but until you can ride it without fins then you should be trying any 3's, shuv-its, 180, etc...you have to be able to ride it without fins before you start learning tricks.

Who rides without fins? Pros? Lol

parrothd
02-06-2020, 09:48 PM

I have the opposite experience. I start all new riders on the hammerhead for a few sets. Then switch them to my maxtix, they don't go back.

You have to be willing to go outside your comfort level to get better, if you're not constantly falling your not progressing.

I mostly ride revert so finless, if you really want to get good quick try riding the board backwards and switch. ����

Byezb
02-07-2020, 10:29 AM
Silveira has his own model now, it's the P5 Key...

Has anyone surfed the key?

MJHSupra
02-07-2020, 09:53 PM
Who rides without fins? Pros? LolWe took all 3 fins off my HiFi, it was ugly. I need to find that pic of my first set when the board was flying six feet in the air. Caught at that perfect moment - the board suspended in the air and me on my azz with the big splash.

Ended up leaving the small center fin on.

I'm ready for summer and I have not taken my snowboard trips out west yet.

Sent from my P00I using Tapatalk

DNIXD99
02-10-2020, 04:30 PM

Nice....I finally received mine from WM

MJHSupra
02-10-2020, 08:15 PM
Nice....I finally received mine from WM

It’s tough getting a new board during winter months. I have mine hanging on the wall and every time I walk by I think about trying it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk