PDA

View Full Version : Carb Trouble

Storm
03-14-2007, 09:28 PM
I have a 97 Moomba Outback. I have had issues three times where the float sticks on the carberator. The engine floods and when I look into the carberator there is a steady drip of gas into the carb. I have to remove the rear bowl and move the float around. When I reassemble the carburetor the boat runs fine. Assuming the gasket is not damaged. I thought there was trash or something in the gas, but I have changed the fuel/water separator three times and have pumped all of the gas out of the tank. Anyone else had this problem? The Holley carberator was new when I bought the boat in '04. The boat runs perfect as long as the float issue does not ruin the day. Any help would be appreciated.

JoeTechie
03-15-2007, 02:53 AM
Isn't this what the "Service and Repair" forum is for ?

seanpatsdad
03-15-2007, 07:08 AM
Joetechie
You have nothing better to do than give a guy a bad time about what forum he puts his post in?Storm keep me posted since I have a carb on my boat and may run into this some day.Put in the Classified forum. :lol:

Engine Nut
03-15-2007, 08:45 AM
I have a 97 Moomba Outback. I have had issues three times where the float sticks on the carberator. The engine floods and when I look into the carberator there is a steady drip of gas into the carb. I have to remove the rear bowl and move the float around. When I reassemble the carburetor the boat runs fine. Assuming the gasket is not damaged. I thought there was trash or something in the gas, but I have changed the fuel/water separator three times and have pumped all of the gas out of the tank. Anyone else had this problem? The Holley carberator was new when I bought the boat in '04. The boat runs perfect as long as the float issue does not ruin the day. Any help would be appreciated.

I suspect that you have some debris stuck in the inlet needle valve. It is the thing in the carburetor that the float pushes against to either let fuel into the fuel bowl or shut it off. You will probably have to get a carb kit and replace the inlet needle valves. I am not 100% sure which carb you have. If it is a Holley 4010 which is kind of silver colored and you have to remove the top of the carburetor to get at the floats, you will need an Indmar P/N S611022 Kit. If your carb is a Holley 4150 which is a dull reddish brown anodized color with individual removable float bowls. you will need an Indmar P/N S611025 Kit. Any Indmar dealer will be able to order the kit for you. Cleaning the inlet needle valves generally doesn't work. Replacing them is better.

Engine nut

Buttafewcoe
03-15-2007, 11:49 AM
Larry, you are the "MAN"
B

JoeTechie
03-15-2007, 12:18 PM
HOLLY COW !!!!

Look how terrible a guy I am! I must have torn his limbs off and beaten him with them! I have no free time, but I have enough to plot and plan and be evil to people, and somehow degrade them and betrate them with my tirade posts...

...oh, wait...

...all I did was ask a question!!!!!!!!!!!

:roll:

Seriously - the over reaction stuff... "breath already"

I think I have proved that I try to help EVERYONE I can. My posts prove that. I am constantly welcoming people to the board.
I make one post at 3am that could have had an even softer tone, and I am a terrible guy ?

get over yourself.

-Joe

Buttafewcoe
03-15-2007, 02:34 PM
We're all a little antzy Joe. So close to spring and a lot of us still can't get our boats out for another month.
I know I sometimes make off-hand comments, and my sense of humor can definately be twisted now and again. But, in all honesty, I am really trying to help, also.

You're ok in my book. Keep up the good work.
B

zabooda
03-15-2007, 03:04 PM
Joe,

You provide great feedback and I agree with the information you give out most of time. It's not what you say as much as how you say it. There are no rules to where a post is placed but it is better served to have a post in the area where it would get more exposure and perhaps more feedback and it keeps the Forum more organized. You made an issue with me on the tower post a month ago that was uncalled for but I knew something would come up again and someone else would be chided. Keep your comments positive and things work well.

Dave A
03-15-2007, 04:07 PM
Were not going to start talking about dead cats again are we? :shock:

Storm
03-15-2007, 08:46 PM
Sorry about posting my question in the wrong forum. To be honest I was thinking about my boat problem and basically did not think about where I posted the question. I will try to do better next time.

Any-who. Thanks for the information on the needle valve replacement. I figured that I was getting trash in there, but I was unsure where it was coming from. Perhaps replacing them will repair the issue. I actually had to buy a rebuild kit last year when I tore a gasket trying to clean the trash out of the needle valves while out on the lake. It was an expensive way to get one gasket, but I needed it. Perhaps the rest of the kit will come in handy now. Not sure if it is the right kit, but it had the one gasket I needed. Thanks again for EVERYONE’S help and comments.

Storm

seanpatsdad
03-16-2007, 02:11 AM
Joe
I was not over reacting,the way you asked the question without even trying to help the guy out made you sound arrogant.Sorry if I hit a nerve with you.Well ,I have to get back to getting over myself.
John

Viper
03-16-2007, 11:39 AM
You may want to go to a local parts store and get a can of vat and take the carb off adn take it apart and remove all rubber gaskets and then let it soke in the vat over night get up put it back together and it should be fine. By the way don't forget to remove all of the rubber gaskets this stuff will destroy them if you don't.

JoeTechie
03-16-2007, 12:14 PM
Storm - I apologize if my question was misconstrued. I should have said:

"Storm, this might see a better response in the 'Service and Repair' forum." But at 3am, you got the seemingly derogatory alternative. Mea' Culpa.
I wish you all the best in your repairs and am very glad you got the information from Larry - he is the real deal, direct from Indmar. Carbs are a bitch. You can also search the forum for "carb problem" and get a lot more history if you wish.

John - your condescending, scolding, and overt sarcasm do not make you sound arrogant, or superior at all, I now have a mold to follow. :wink:

-J

Wolf-
03-16-2007, 04:05 PM
if his schedule is open, Larry may be joining us at the Jamboree.

8am Slalom Skiing - Led by Joe Techy
10am Wakesurfing - Led by Ed G
12pm Large Engine Repair - Led by the Nut

seanpatsdad
03-16-2007, 11:44 PM
Joe
Looking forward to your slalom skiing class.Hopefully I'll be able to make it.
John

JoeTechie
03-17-2007, 01:19 PM
Corrected schedule:

8am: Sleeping in: the art of pillow sculpture. - JoeTechie
10am: Beer: it's not just for breakfast - Ed (BYOB)
11:45am: Engine's for dummies (private class for me) - Engine Nut
12:am : Lunch (Larry leaves after my 15 min of uselessness)
1pm - breakout session - "how much beer can be used to replace water ballast"
2pm - Varmint huntn' - Pickle/Butta (BYOG) ((BYOB))
4pm: Wakesurfing on a 12 pack - Ed (NOTE: this event sells out - get there early, and bring cameras)

:D

-J

Engine Nut
03-17-2007, 04:30 PM
Corrected schedule:

8am: Sleeping in: the art of pillow sculpture. - JoeTechie
10am: Beer: it's not just for breakfast - Ed (BYOB)
11:45am: Engine's for dummies (private class for me) - Engine Nut
12:am : Lunch (Larry leaves after my 15 min of uselessness)
1pm - breakout session - "how much beer can be used to replace water ballast"
2pm - Varmint huntn' - Pickle/Butta (BYOG) ((BYOB))
4pm: Wakesurfing on a 12 pack - Ed (NOTE: this event sells out - get there early, and bring cameras)

I like that schedule ... especially all of the Beer time. Looks like I really need to be there.

Engine Nut

-J

Buttafewcoe
03-17-2007, 07:12 PM
Guns and beer.. :D what could possibly be wrong with that?

Nafplio
03-18-2007, 12:14 AM
Funny post... I like Joe's schedule (LMAO). I'd love to be there but can't make it that far. I will be getting a couple lessons and some vineyard tours at the Cali Delta though. Hope they serve beer..

P.S. I love my boat (with EFI). I had a pretty nice car once with a 650 holley on it. I was young, never figured it out.