PDA

View Full Version : Will this work?

Surgical_ass
01-26-2020, 11:34 AM
I have a single battery setup. I am adding an amp (2 total) I want to have all the audio stuff on one battery and everything else on the other.

My plan: add another single battery shut off switch for the audio and put the battery doctor isolator on to help keep the audio battery up while we are out. Am I over looking something?

MLA
01-26-2020, 11:49 AM
I want to have all the audio stuff on one battery and everything else on the other.

This first issue that jumps out with this, is that you will likely have some loads pulling from the other battery, while at anchor. So you run the risk of draining both, leaving you stranded on the water.

My plan: add another single battery shut off switch

Too complicated considering there is a single switch that will service both banks simultaneously. The turn of one switch and both banks are on or off. Paired with a quality marine ACR and you have a user friendly and functional system with a dedicated house battery (all house loads, not just audio) and a dedicated main cranking bank.

Surgical_ass
01-26-2020, 12:03 PM
This first issue that jumps out with this, is that you will likely have some loads pulling from the other battery, while at anchor. So you run the risk of draining both, leaving you stranded on the water.

Too complicated considering there is a single switch that will service both banks simultaneously. The turn of one switch and both banks are on or off. Paired with a quality marine ACR and you have a user friendly and functional system with a dedicated house battery (all house loads, not just audio) and a dedicated main cranking bank.

The single switch your referring to is a dual battery switch? 1 or 2 or 1&2? Or are you meaning to keep the one switch I already have and hook the second battery to it and add a marine ACR?

MLA
01-26-2020, 02:33 PM
There is a ON/OFF dual bank switch that turns both banks on or off with the turn of one switch, This would replace the existing single bank ON/OFF.

A 1/2/BOTH switch is an even simpler setup, but requires some manual input from the captain, when dropping anchor and returning back to running. But it accomplishes the same thing. One bank for house loads at anchor and one bank for running.

Surgical_ass
02-09-2020, 01:22 PM
What type of fuse should be used between the batteries and the acr? Will a 250amp fuse like the ones used between battery and amp work?

MLA
02-09-2020, 02:05 PM
Im a breaker man, myself. Amperage needs to be based on the amp load passing through the system and the cable gauge used. Cable gauge also needs to be sufficient for the load.

Surgical_ass
03-22-2020, 12:42 PM
I added the blue sea si acr. Can I hook a battery charger to one of the batteries with the system all hooked up? I put it all together and have the led flashing that the acc battery isn't charged enough. I'm assuming this is ok but wanted to double check since I have 2 batteries on the system now

MLA
03-22-2020, 08:35 PM
Can I hook a battery charger to one of the batteries with the system all hooked up?

An on-board charger or a shop charger of sorts?

I put it all together and have the led flashing that the acc battery isn't charged enough.

Is this with the engine running? To my recollection, the BlueSea SI ACR's do not monitor and report back to the state of charg, of either bank, with any diagnostics. Fast flashing can indicate either bank is very low. Slow flashing means the Start-Interrupt is engaged.

ON = charge is passing through the ACR to the house bank
OFF = banks are isolated
Blinking slow = SI
Blinking Fast - one or both banks or VERY low, below 9.5V

Surgical_ass
03-22-2020, 10:16 PM
An on-board charger or a shop charger of sorts?

Is this with the engine running? To my recollection, the BlueSea SI ACR's do not monitor and report back to the state of charg, of either bank, with any diagnostics. Fast flashing can indicate either bank is very low. Slow flashing means the Start-Interrupt is engaged.

ON = charge is passing through the ACR to the house bank
OFF = banks are isolated
Blinking slow = SI
Blinking Fast - one or both banks or VERY low, below 9.5V

The led light was blinking fast BUT it turns out I had a wire grouped incorrectly. Once I corrected my mistake the blinking stopped and everything worked correctly again.

I have a small portable car charger I use. I'm assuming that if the switch is in the off position and I hook the charger to one battery the acr will transfer the charge into the second battery as well? If this is correct are there any issue in doing this?

Surgical_ass
04-22-2020, 07:26 PM
Riddle me this...
Hooked up the acr about a month ago. I hooked the boat to the fake a lake and started it in the driveway to make sure everything is working as it should b4 we get on the water.

ACR in the on position:
Turn key to acc position and the raido works
Turn key on and start boat, the raido goes off

ACR in combined position
Raido works in all key positions

ACR in combined position
Boat started then acr turned to "on" position and raido stays on.

I do have 2 different size batteries that have been recently charged
Stereo hooked to 24dc-1
Everything else hooked to factory interstate battery.

Is this a battery mismatch issue or do I have wiring screwed up somewhere? I wired it according to the illustration on the blue sea site.

MLA
04-22-2020, 08:10 PM
Dead battery or incorrect wiring schematic come to mind, or a couple different things going on. Impossible to say much without taking actual voltage readings at numerous spots.

Can you post your schematic?

Surgical_ass
04-22-2020, 08:47 PM
Dead battery or incorrect wiring schematic come to mind, or a couple different things going on. Impossible to say much without taking actual voltage readings at numerous spots.

Can you post your schematic?

I havent been able to get the picture to upload here but I followed the installation diagram on the blue sea site minus the optional wiring items. I have a feeling it is a battery issue the more I think about it. The led light will blink fast when I have the switch in the "on" position and the key turned to the "acc" position.

Surgical_ass
04-25-2020, 05:20 PM
I havent been able to get the picture to upload here but I followed the installation diagram on the blue sea site minus the optional wiring items. I have a feeling it is a battery issue the more I think about it. The led light will blink fast when I have the switch in the "on" position and the key turned to the "acc" position.

I had the batteries checked. Both are fine. I have double checked the wiring with no luck. I can get everything to work it it just takes flipping the switch to "combined" when the motor is running to get the raido to come on. Once it's the raido is on I can flip the switch back to "on" and the raido continues to work as long as the engine is running. I haven't taken voltage readings of the batteries when motor is running yet to see if everything is being charged as it is supposed to.

schwan
04-25-2020, 07:20 PM
I had a weird thing happen once when putting batteries back in the boat with an acr. I forgot to install the black to black terminal connection between the batteries. I can't remember exactly what was happening, but I do remember a lot of weird things going on, kind of like you're describing... Once I figured out my problem and install that cable, everything was back to normal. I'd say triple check your wiring, there's a lot of cables with an acr. Good luck!

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

Surgical_ass
04-26-2020, 10:44 AM
I had a weird thing happen once when putting batteries back in the boat with an acr. I forgot to install the black to black terminal connection between the batteries. I can't remember exactly what was happening, but I do remember a lot of weird things going on, kind of like you're describing... Once I figured out my problem and install that cable, everything was back to normal. I'd say triple check your wiring, there's a lot of cables with an acr. Good luck!

That's exactly what I was missing! Thank you for the tip!!

schwan
04-26-2020, 02:22 PM
Nice, good to hear!