PDA

View Full Version : transmission burnt up

504REBEL
03-14-2007, 02:55 PM
2000 moomba boomarang 1:1 hurth zf

trans stuck in forward...no neutral, no reverse...if the engine is running the boat is moving...
any one khow how to remove the trans in this boat...
is there a repair manual?

any help is appreciated

Buttafewcoe
03-15-2007, 05:57 AM
This may be a stoopid question, but have you checked the linkage?
B

Engine Nut
03-15-2007, 09:05 AM
2000 moomba boomarang 1:1 hurth zf

trans stuck in forward...no neutral, no reverse...if the engine is running the boat is moving...
any one khow how to remove the trans in this boat...
is there a repair manual?

any help is appreciated

I am assuming the fluid level is correct. Is the trans fluid a nice bright red color or is is dark indicating burning or Pepto Bismol pink indicating water in the fluid. If the fluid is OK, disconnect the shift cable from the shift arm on the transmission and try shifting it manually. If you still have no neutral or reverse, I suspect that you may have some warped clutch discs and the trans will beed to be rebuilt. There is a rebuild kit available, Indmar P/N S905203. There is also a service manual available, Indmar P/N S998450. Any Indmar dealer would be able to order them for you. You might want to consider buying a rebuilt unit outright. Just do an internet search for rebuilt marine transmissions and you will find numerous sources.

Engine Nut

lowdrag
03-15-2007, 09:05 AM
Definitely check the linkage. I had mine pop off of the arm on the transmission once right after I took it off the trailer. Scared the crap out of me. I couldn't shut the boat off because it was busy and rough and I would have drifted into rocks. I figured I wouldn't be able to start it again if it I couldn't get it in neutral. It didn't matter if I throttle it in forward or reverse all I had was forward. When I looked at the linkage, the cable attaches to the shift arm with a ball and socket that has a spring loaded locking collar over it. When it was installed it wasn't lined up correctly and the torue caused the locking collar to bind up and work itself loose.

Buttafewcoe
03-15-2007, 11:47 AM
Yep, start with the simple things first.
B