PDA

View Full Version : Doomswell Mongrel or Hydro? Any thoughts?

996scott
12-23-2019, 03:16 PM
So i need to get a new board for my boys that have outgrown the Island Surfer Skim we have. We love the Island Surfer and the skim style boards. We really don't ride a real surf style board at all. I was thinking that maybe we would try a hybrid board and was looking at a Nubstep but i have been informed that the Nubstep was a hybrid in the past but now the Mongrel is Doomswell's hybrid. They also have a Hydro which looks really similar to the Mongrel and i can't really find any good info on comparing the two boards. Anyone have any insight or experience with either of these? I guess i am really looking for more of a skim board that has a little bit of a surf/hybrid feel to it if that makes sense.

trayson
12-26-2019, 04:06 PM
FWIW, I've been riding the Nubstep for years and I'd definitely consider it a surf style board. If you really like skims, I think you'd want something more skimmy than the Nubstep.

Kxmoomba
01-09-2020, 11:39 AM
I rode the mongrel all last year and really loved it. Still not a fan of surf style, but riding it skim was awesome. It is fast and light. I chose this coming off a Slingshot Butter bar that I really liked as well and this one is faster for sure. A little more buoyant that the slingshot so kids may have to get used to that. I have not ridden a Hydro.

MJHSupra
01-09-2020, 07:53 PM
The Doomswell Nub is thick. Sold mind. Never rode a Mongrel - looks nice.

Otherwise I would go 100% skim and point the skinny skims. All the kids I take on the boat want to try spins, 360s, shuvs, etc. I assume these would be similar to your old board.

Phase 5 - they have a bunch of choices - can be pricey if new
Hyperlite - something like the HiFi - will not break the bank
Victoria - Factor - like the HiFi

I'm always looking around CL and Fbook for used deals.

Sent from my P00I using Tapatalk

996scott
01-10-2020, 10:09 PM
thanks for the input guys, yea we have only been riding skims for the last few years, everyone seems to love them. I was able to get a hold of Doomswell and talk to them about the boards. The Hydro is their skim style board that is compression molded so it is thin, durable, and you can ride it skim style with one small fin or ride it surf style with 3 larger fins. The Mongrel is a EPS foam core so it is a little thicker and has the same fin set up as the Hydro. I think i am leaning a little more toward the Hydro since it is similar to what we ride now and we love it, just need a bigger board. Thanks again guys.