Any recommendations on box anchors?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

larry_arizona
11-29-2019, 08:34 AM
A small box anchor is the best anchor for a wake boat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kirby
11-29-2019, 10:07 AM
I have a small and large, with the freeboard and bimini top up I needed the large when we were in a cove with wind.

korey
11-29-2019, 10:55 AM
I'm on my second one of these:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000AXND7/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_image?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I love it so much that I bought another when I lost it. The downfall was that the threaded clevis pin at the bottom of the rod fell out one windy day when i had 3 boats hanging off of my lowly anchor. I put red locktite on that spot when i got the second one. With this brand, "Small" is probably what you want - the ~20 pound. I bought a Sea Choice Small - ~9 lb - before this, but that was meant for PWCs, not a 6000lb wakeboat with a sail above it!

haknslash
11-29-2019, 11:54 AM
I also use the small and it has held both of my boats I've had no problems. We have muddy clay or rock bottoms and seems to hold fine. Heard it doesn't do great in sand but this boat will never be on the coast lol.

gregski
12-02-2019, 04:42 PM
I'm on my second one of these:
The downfall was that the threaded clevis pin at the bottom of the rod fell out one windy day when i had 3 boats hanging off of my lowly anchor. I put red locktite on that spot when i got the second one.
The clevis pin is supposed to be secured by a split pin or moused (https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Mouse_(shackle)&redirect=no)with safety wire, etc. Even a small zip tie through the hole in the pin and around the clevis will work fine.

korey
12-02-2019, 05:08 PM
Zip tie is a good idea. I didn't like the thought of safety wire in my boat (upholstery, wet hands, etc).

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

MJHSupra
12-02-2019, 08:14 PM
Anyone use those Anchor Buddies or do you attach your anchor rope to a bow shackle?

korey
12-02-2019, 08:18 PM
I use the anchor buddy if I moor the boat overnight: anchor bow out with a line run from a rear eye to shore. Relaxed state of the anchor buddy keeps the boat in deep water but I can pull in to knee deep water and board the swim platform.

I've never seen a need for it while anchoring to raft up.

scotthons
12-03-2019, 05:10 PM
I also have the small box with the anchor buddy. I have been very pleased with the setup so far.

bergermaister
12-03-2019, 07:34 PM
Heard it doesn't do great in sand but this boat will never be on the coast lol.

Does fine in the sand with a mellow current and not much wind. HOWEVER, if the wind kicks, even with an anchor buddy to help with the waves bouncing, it will break free. Ask me how I know :mad:

larry_arizona
12-03-2019, 08:12 PM
With the box anchors in sand, just throw out a longer line to prevent the popping free.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NewbFam5
12-04-2019, 04:31 AM
I use the anchor buddy if I moor the boat overnight: anchor bow out with a line run from a rear eye to shore. Relaxed state of the anchor buddy keeps the boat in deep water but I can pull in to knee deep water and board the swim platform.

I've never seen a need for it while anchoring to raft up.

I'm a newbie (truly) and have no idea about what you just said but it sounds smart, lol. I have not purchased an anchor yet but I was going to get a box anchor because from my basic understanding of physics, sorry Larry I'm a Chemist, it looks like it should work the best.

So, box anchor, anchor buddy and a line to shore with a shore something or other should cover all water based/water to shore based anchoring? Several different dock lines for docking (now I really sound stupid)??

I'm sure my dealer will help me out when I get the boat in a few months but any additional input from experience would be great.

Oh and I need some phenders, saw some black ballz recently but they are really big and need to be deflated when not in use. The old cylindrical dock bumpers look like they should be fine?

MJHSupra
12-04-2019, 06:22 PM
I'm a newbie (truly) and have no idea about what you just said but it sounds smart, lol. I have not purchased an anchor yet but I was going to get a box anchor because from my basic understanding of physics, sorry Larry I'm a Chemist, it looks like it should work the best.

Anchor buddies are just big bungee cords to help with mooring and keeping anchors set. Not really needed for boats rafting up for an afternoon.
The folding box anchors are great to save on space.

https://www.westmarine.com/buy/greenfield-products--anchor-buddy-mooring-lines--P005_151_002_507

MJHSupra
12-04-2019, 06:33 PM
Oh and I need some phenders, saw some black ballz recently but they are really big and need to be deflated when not in use. The old cylindrical dock bumpers look like they should be fine?

For Fenders, if you are rafting boat/boat, the black inflatables I have found to work best. Basically trying not to get the racks from getting tangled. There are some different companies that make them. People have also purchased children's bouncy-balls from Amazon. I have popped 1 using around unknown docks - nails or screws heads sticking out.

I still use the traditional cylindrical style-fenders (Taylor). Double-eye or Rope thru the middle. Always had good luck with those and keeping the boat away from the dock.

There are also models like the Mission Delta (mixed reviews) or Hull Huggers.

https://www.missionboatgear.com/products/sentry-fenders

https://www.wholesalemarine.com/hull-hugr-contour-boat-fender/