PDA

View Full Version : Detailing Woes

TimGT3
03-12-2007, 01:16 PM
I normally like to keep my input on the board more in the positive end of the spectrum, but I 'm going to have to share my first negative experience.

Part of my '06 boat show incentives included a service pack with the dealer that essentially was one year free service (delivery prep, one engine service, winterization, one impeller service, and a full detail). Pretty good package actually. When I had the winterization done last fall, I opted to use my free detail as it would expire shortly after. I took the boat home, covered it, and stuck it under the carport for the winter. This past weekend was the first time that I uncovered it and gave it a good look over. The wax job was terrible -- tons of wax was left on the hull, in the decals, in every crack and bodyline and on the rub rails. That's not a huge deal; I can fix all of that. However, the worst part is that when they were using the orbital buffer, they tagged the rear sundeck/locker door and put a nasty 2 inch tear in the upholstry (complete with buffer swirl marks as clear evidence of where it came from). There are also swirl marks burned into the weatherstrip molding at the bottom of the right windshield (non-repairable, would have to replace).

Having noticed the damage yesterday, I called to schedule my de-winterization and informed them of these issues. This is where my story ends at the moment. They did not commit to replacing the damaged parts over the phone, but they made up a repair order specifically to look at the areas. I'm scheduled to drop the boat off at the end of the week and they'll work on it next Tuesday. I'll let you know how the situation turns out. My expectations are for them to replace the cushion and the molding and re-detail all of the areas of dried wax. Hopefully the windshield molding does not require windshield removal. To be continued... ... ...

Buttafewcoe
03-12-2007, 01:33 PM
I'll be surprised if they don't make good on it
Interesting, though....
B

zabooda
03-12-2007, 02:12 PM
Be sure to take pictures of the damage before you take the boat in to record the "as found" condition as the dealer may attempt to make some easy fixes first and if that doesn't meet your expectations then the initial problems will already have been masked over. Hope for the best.

TimGT3
03-13-2007, 05:48 PM
Pictures, right! Good call. Thanks

TimGT3
03-20-2007, 12:18 PM
Took the boat in yesterday and all went well. The service manager was quite appologetic over the sub-par detail job. The boat will be going to the detail dept to correct the sloppy wax job while service will be ordering a new rear sundeck/locker door and windshield molding to replace the damaged spots. It'll take about 2-weeks for the parts to arrive and I'll do the install myself so that I don't have to take the boat back again.

They were very professional and gave me no problem at all. I suspect the entire issue was with with the detail boy being too afraid to point out his mistakes last fall because once I brought it to service's attention, they did not hesitate to correct the problem at all. Very happy and looking forward to another good season!

As I've mentioned before when I bought mine, anyone on the Carolinas looking to buy a Moomba/Supra, Westport Marine in Denver, NC is top notch.

zabooda
03-20-2007, 01:23 PM
Good news Tim. One always hopes for the best and it's good to here of the dealers who makes things right.