PDA

View Full Version : Backing trailer up hill w/surge breaks

Aondion
10-29-2019, 06:02 PM
Is there a way to disengage surge breaks? My barn has the slightest incline when I back my boat up to store it for the winter. B/c it is going up hill, the surge breaks come on. I was able to put a nut on each side of the surge mechanism which stopped the surge break from engaging. Is there an easier way to unhook the surge breaks?

bteeter
10-29-2019, 06:53 PM
You need a surge brake lockout key.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B006UH6DDA/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_2jmUDb8DKZX3M

larry_arizona
10-29-2019, 07:04 PM
Do you not have the reverse lockout solenoid?

When you put it in reverse, it should power the solenoid to release the surge brakes.

The lockout key is the fix if your solenoid goes bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sandm
10-29-2019, 09:17 PM
follow the link that bteeter sent but otherwise you can use a nickel. we always kept a few of them in the truck with my last 2 boats as neither had the lockout solenoid.

it was an option for some trailer vendors in years past and dealers that ordered spec boats sometimes didn't check the box for the 5th wire.

MLA
10-29-2019, 09:25 PM
Is the trailer harness 4 pin or 5 pin? 4 pin needs a manual lockout like linked above. Just an FYI, a 9/16 or 14MM shallow socket are safer then a nickle. But you may need to tape the socket in place. 5 pin has the 5th pin that gets 12V from the truck's reverse lights. Energizes the solenoid to lock out the brakes.

Shoebox
10-29-2019, 10:43 PM
Is the trailer harness 4 pin or 5 pin? 4 pin needs a manual lockout like linked above. Just an FYI, a 9/16 or 14MM shallow socket are safer then a nickle. But you may need to tape the socket in place. 5 pin has the 5th pin that gets 12V from the truck's reverse lights. Energizes the solenoid to lock out the brakes.I have the 7 pin connector, but it doesn't lock out the brakes. Had to use the lockout key that came with the boat.

MLA
10-29-2019, 10:59 PM
I have the 7 pin connector, but it doesn't lock out the brakes. Had to use the lockout key that came with the boat.

Sounds like you have the round 7 cavity connector. In this case, only 5 pins are used for the trailer harness. Ive not come across a round 7 with only 4 pins active. So id say your trailer has the electric lockout solenoid.

I would google the pin-out and check the proper revers pin for voltage, with the truck in reverse.

Turbinesurgeon
10-30-2019, 01:01 AM
Is there a way to disengage surge breaks? My barn has the slightest incline when I back my boat up to store it for the winter. B/c it is going up hill, the surge breaks come on. I was able to put a nut on each side of the surge mechanism which stopped the surge break from engaging. Is there an easier way to unhook the surge breaks?

This really depends on the type of brakes you have. Disk or drum? What style actuator? If it’s a UFP with disk brakes then there are several different types of lock out keys you can purchase. If you have a reverse solenoid it must not be working. If you have a UFP but doesn’t have a solenoid then you can add one. It’s convenient for backing up. If you have drum brakes then you can buy the drums that won’t engage in reverse, no need to run a solenoid or lockout key with a drum set up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jason1973
10-30-2019, 08:37 AM
you can also check the fuse in your truck. I have basically a brand new truck and the first time i hooked up my mondo the brakes went on instantly in reverse. Replaced the fuse and it works.

But like other mention, just get the lock out key for these types of emergencies.

mikenehrkorn
10-30-2019, 09:52 AM
The other trick is to flip the connector 180 degrees when you plug it into the trailer harness and turn on your vehicle headlights.......I believe this provides power to that 5th pin to release the brakes as well.

Of course you won't have brake lights on the trailer so use with caution.

korey
10-30-2019, 12:53 PM
You can tell if you have the solenoid to electrically lock the brakes out by looking for the brass thing at the rear of the coupler's master cylinder:
https://www.trailerandtruckparts.com/assets/images/34043.jpg

That brass thing is the solenoid.

Mine came from the factory with a bad ground wire that made the lockout non-functional. I tightened the screw holding the ground wire to the one of those two tapped holes you see in the base of the solenoid and it's worked perfectly since then!

996scott
10-30-2019, 04:50 PM
this is the one i use. works great.

http://www.seacuredfishing.com/release-me.html

FamilyMan
10-30-2019, 07:00 PM
https://smile.amazon.com/Noa-Store-Surge-Brake-Trailer/dp/B07DPQMBMZ/ref=pd_lutyp_crtyp_simh_2_2/130-6484436-2610127?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B07DPQMBMZ&pd_rd_r=bf1ca2d0-b54f-4614-bd13-b3fda6754f27&pd_rd_w=WEaTI&pd_rd_wg=8DkVA&pf_rd_p=06852cd5-d143-44e6-b5b7-d51110cd2298&pf_rd_r=BGK5MAW356TCAZ42KXS8&psc=1&refRID=BGK5MAW356TCAZ42KXS8

I used this while I had a tacoma with a 4 pin. Pricey, but works amazingly well. Still keep it on me just in case the new Ram ever has an issue.

asteggall
11-01-2019, 07:18 PM
Should be the blue wire in the harness that needs hooked up to the reverse lights to lock out the brakes.

Aondion
11-04-2019, 02:37 PM
Thanks guys, very helpful!