PDA

View Full Version : Proper way to lift trailer for winter storage?

Surgical_ass
10-24-2019, 09:45 AM
Just double checking what I have done is OK. I put jack stands in between the tires where the springs meet. Ive lifted it just enough to take pressure off tires. Is this something that is common practice? Just making sure I'm not potentially screwing up something.

996scott
10-24-2019, 10:03 AM
I haven't heard of many people lifting their trailer for winter storage. I just make sure my tires are inflated properly ( maybe a little over inflated). You really don't need to do much else. If you wanted to jack it up and turn the tires a half rotation once or twice over the winter you could i guess.

jason1973
10-24-2019, 10:45 AM
This is just OCD IMO. J/K, but todays trailers and tires don't need to be jacked up. If you really want, and have enough room, just roll the trailer up 2 feet for a month, then back for a month etc...

sandm
10-24-2019, 12:29 PM
I"ve never done it in 13 years. I do make sure that I have padding or carpet under them so they are not sitting directly on concrete. needed? no. make me feel better? yes.
in wisconsin I typically took the boat to the storage building mid september and got it back mid-april so figure 7 months in storage. the first outing you can feel the tires out of round but a 5 or 10 mile drive heats them up and they seem to go back.

and similar to scott, I pump the tires up from their recommended 55 to around 65 and by the end of storage they seem to be back in the 50's.
funny tho the motorcycle I do move it every month. not sure why and when I had my old sportbike I kept it on stands all winter(mostly because I had them).

jcarter20
10-24-2019, 02:05 PM
This is probably my OCD as well, but I was going to jack the trailer up this year. I was going to put 4 jack stands under the trailer frame itself. I have never done it in the past, but I also replace tires every 5th year. I got tired of breaking belts and blowing tires on the highway. Maybe it is my shit luck, but I am like a freakin NASCAR pit crew now if I have tire problems. I keep a jack and breaker bar at the end of my truck bed! [emoji23]. The last thing I want is a black tire streak down the side of a $90k boat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Prospersigman
10-25-2019, 08:14 AM
No need for a jack to change a tire on a tandem axle trailer when you have one of these. When you get a flat you can literally change it in under 3-4 minutes.

https://www.amazon.com/Trailer-Aid-Tandem-Changing-Change-Trailers/dp/B000I4JPZE?ref_=ast_bbp_dp

This is probably my OCD as well, but I was going to jack the trailer up this year. I was going to put 4 jack stands under the trailer frame itself. I have never done it in the past, but I also replace tires every 5th year. I got tired of breaking belts and blowing tires on the highway. Maybe it is my shit luck, but I am like a freakin NASCAR pit crew now if I have tire problems. I keep a jack and breaker bar at the end of my truck bed! [emoji23]. The last thing I want is a black tire streak down the side of a $90k boat.

psycho-heico
10-25-2019, 08:47 PM
ok since we are chatting trailers..Does anyone rotate the tires on a tandem wheel trailer ??

Boonejeepin
10-25-2019, 08:58 PM
ok since we are chatting trailers..Does anyone rotate the tires on a tandem wheel trailer ??

Not a bad idea to even out wear but may not be necessary based on miles traveled.

larry_arizona
10-26-2019, 10:12 AM
I can’t imagine tandem axle trailer tires wear any different.

Only reason you rotate on a car/truck is the accelerated wear on the fronts due to turning/cornering.

I suppose you can measure tread depth and in fronts or rears are wearing faster, then rotate.

If tread depth is same, leave them be.

sandm
10-27-2019, 10:31 AM
my experience unless you travel a ton you will rot them out before you wear them out. typical tire is recommended to replace at 5-7 years. can't imagine there are a lot that are towing 30,000 miles in 5 years.

Juliekimsen57
10-27-2019, 02:57 PM
Hi

Me and the kids normally use a standard lift for the garage. Good question though!

/
Julie

jcarter20
10-27-2019, 07:25 PM
my experience unless you travel a ton you will rot them out before you wear them out. typical tire is recommended to replace at 5-7 years. can't imagine there are a lot that are towing 30,000 miles in 5 years.

jcarter20
10-27-2019, 07:26 PM

Totally agree. No need to rotate tires. Like I said, I just replace every 5th year.