PDA

View Full Version : Changing coolant on Raptor

JHCMondo
10-14-2019, 07:11 PM
How difficult is it to drain and replace the coolant in the Raptor engine?

Is it as simple as taking off 2 hoses in the link below and refilling?

https://www.indmardealersupport.com/news-letter.php

Stazi
10-14-2019, 08:32 PM
Why do you want to do that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JHCMondo
10-14-2019, 08:40 PM
Changing coolant is part of regular maintenance.

Why do you want to do that?

Stazi
10-14-2019, 09:01 PM
Unless you have many hundreds and hundreds of hours (500+) I don’t see the need.

MLA
10-14-2019, 09:03 PM
I think they come with extended life Dex-Cool. Whats the manual say for service interval?

JHCMondo
10-14-2019, 09:08 PM
Thanks for the input.

I see the need and will change it out. I'd rather not tow it in to the dealer so was hoping to do it myself.

500+ hours for me is about 10 years of use.

larry_arizona
10-14-2019, 09:15 PM
They come with propylene glycol and PG is typically not long life antifreeze. 2 years is correct.

JHCMondo
10-15-2019, 12:41 AM
I think they come with extended life Dex-Cool. Whats the manual say for service interval?

Every 2 years.

jcarter20
05-29-2021, 02:57 PM
Every 2 years.

Did you do this yourself? I am getting ready to replace mine? Was it as simple as the link indicated, or do you have any tips or tricks?

JHCMondo
05-30-2021, 11:19 PM
Very easy, so do it yourself. The only unexpected thing is not all the coolant drained out, I think there will always be some that can't drain.

It survived winter and this spring it ran fine with normal temperatures and no leaks.

Did you do this yourself? I am getting ready to replace mine? Was it as simple as the link indicated, or do you have any tips or tricks?

larry_arizona
05-31-2021, 07:22 AM
Do you let it drain into the hull or do you extract it?

jcarter20
05-31-2021, 08:19 AM
Very easy, so do it yourself. The only unexpected thing is not all the coolant drained out, I think there will always be some that can't drain.

It survived winter and this spring it ran fine with normal temperatures and no leaks.

Good deal! Thanks for the reply. Coolant is ordered. Larry makes a good point. I would rather extract it just for the ease of clean up.

JHCMondo
06-01-2021, 12:44 AM
I put a container under the hose and disconnected it.

Do you let it drain into the hull or do you extract it?

jcarter20
08-31-2021, 06:47 PM

How much coolant did you get out? It is supposed to take 12-14 quarts total. I don’t think I even got 4 quarts out by following those directions. I haven’t re-filled yet because I feel like I need to pop more hoses.

JHCMondo
09-06-2021, 10:42 PM
I got about half out.

How much coolant did you get
out? It is supposed to take 12-14 quarts total. I don’t think I even got 4 quarts out by following those directions. I haven’t re-filled yet because I feel like I need to pop more hoses.

schwan
11-09-2021, 12:20 PM
I’ll add to this, my raptor has 6 summers on it so doing this service is on my list after reading this thread. I tested the coolant with a refractometer and it states the coolant mix was about 70/30 pg to water. The tag on the overflow tank said when filled in 2015 when manufactured it was tested to be 50/50. Just an interesting note on how the coolant changes over years of use.

MJHSupra
11-10-2021, 10:01 PM
I had a warranty issue on my heater last summer. Dealer drained the system, fixed the fitting, then replaced the coolant. I’m good.

The dealer also gave me the extra gallon they had. I keep it onboard, probably will never have low coolant now that I have that.