PDA

View Full Version : Supra SL vs Centurion RI 237

Rush
10-13-2019, 09:30 PM
Anyone have any experience surfing behind both of these? One of these 2 will be my boat next year. We surf 75% and wb 25%. I will ride behind both before purchasing. Leaning toward the Supra, as I like their fit and finish better as well as great local dealer support. But the RI has caught my attention lately. Thanks

moombacraze
10-13-2019, 10:16 PM
I just spent a week in Lake Powell with both of these boats. I have a 2019 SL550 and my friend has a 2018 Ri237. They both are great boats, but I still prefer the wave that my SL makes compared to the Ri. We were there with 6 couples and I had multiple people tell me they preferred my wave over the Ri. My wave was a little taller and has a more defined lip. The fit and finish is better in Supra in my opinion, I don’t care for the dash of the Ri. Both are awesome boats, but I love my SL. Good luck with your decision.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shoebox
10-14-2019, 12:21 AM
I demoed an Fi22. Not exactly the same as the Ri237, but I'd imagine they'd have similar issues, as they're the same hull. The wave of the Fi was unbelievable, but the boat would have been unusable for me because the bow rise was ridiculous. I had to stand to see over the bow. I'm 6'2". My wife at 5 ft would be unable to drive it. I had the bow ballast maxed out, and dumped some rear ballast, and it was still too high.

My SL450 rides really flat. I have to work to get it to 9° pitch, and my wife can easily see when seated on the bolster.

Still getting the wave dialed, but considering it's not yet, it's still amazing. I do think the Fi wave was a bit taller, and maybe a bit longer, but overall the SL is a far better, nicer boat.

MJHSupra
10-14-2019, 09:28 AM
I just spent a week in Lake Powell with both of these boats.

That sounds awesome.

Rush
10-14-2019, 11:33 AM
Thanks guys, the bow rise is something that seems to be common and would for sure be an issue for my wife.

GW@vineyardlake
10-14-2019, 12:45 PM
How did you like your MAX?

Rush
10-14-2019, 01:30 PM
How did you like your MAX?

We really like it. Added 3000+lbs of additional ballast and it surfs amazing. Just ready to step up to a few more options, and I’ve never been a fan of the look of the boat. Best boat for the money IMO.

sandm
10-14-2019, 01:59 PM
haven't surfed either but crawled around them. it would be supra all day long for me.
centurion will have a stellar surf wave but all of the boats I have been on really don't shine in the fit/finish department. supra has them killed in this area and you mention stepping up to a few more options, supra will fit that bill nicely..

good luck with whatever you choose. new boat in the garage is a nice feeling either way.

larry_arizona
10-14-2019, 07:09 PM
Just be aware the centurions draft 10” deeper than a Supra, I would have issues with a 38” draft at some of the boat ramps I go to.

Shoebox
10-14-2019, 07:12 PM
Just be aware the centurions draft 10” deeper than a Supra, I would have issues with a 38” draft at some of the boat ramps I go to.

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkIt can be an issue when you anchor off sandbars or shore, too.

tre
10-14-2019, 10:35 PM
I'll throw my 2 cents in and echo much of what was stated above. The fit/finish of the Centurion line has improved a lot in recent years but remains years behind Supra in my opinion. Additionally, the Centurion bow rise was the absolute deal killer for me. You can weight the bow more to stop some of the bow rise but the wake disappears. Their hull seems to be designed so the rear must sit very deep in the water to make a good wake. I'm talking water coming up to and touching the rub rail which makes me feel like I'm going to be swamped at any minute. On the other hand, you'll never take a wave over the bow because it is 10 feet out of the water. I've heard centurion did address the bow rise issue for 2020 not by fixing the hull but by installing a new driver seat which sits very high up and appears to allow you to see over the window instead of through the window. I assume the wind would be blowing in your face but I've not tested a 2020 model. I don't want that extreme bow rise so I had to rule out the brand during my search for a new boat. A lot of people are happy with Centurion but it was not for me. I prefer the Supra line without the massive bow rise. Especially now that Supra finally has boats with noses that sit higher out of the water so you don't take waves over the bow any longer.

Shoebox
10-15-2019, 09:49 PM
So I need to clarify my previous post. I just spent an afternoon on a 2019 Ri237. The general feel and layout of the boat is very similar to my SL. However, everything was just a little less nice. The tower isn't as nice. The upholstery looks similar, but isn't Cool Touch, and isn't quite as nicely done. The screens and controls are more reminiscent of the 2018 and earlier Supras. It has a walk through on the transom, but that also isn't as deep or well done as my Supra.

That said, I'd say the wave is comparable. The wave on the Fi22 I demoed was actually a bit taller and longer than the Ri237. BUT, the Ri237 did NOT have the bow rise the Fi22 did. It rode pretty flat, similar to the SL.

The boat I rode today is the dealer's demo boat, which is at their "blowout" cost price of $119k. Coincidentally what I paid for my SL at the end of August. I would not pay the same money for that boat as my SL.

Supra for the win! [emoji16] https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20191016/631ca79842b6e8f5dda240f16f949acc.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20191016/fdad02f6e88c34d144e680cf4d535805.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20191016/f9b20381f231604e71f6d04a3fb5bf1e.jpg

MJHSupra
10-16-2019, 09:23 AM
So I need to clarify my previous post. I just spent an afternoon on a 2019 Ri237. The general feel and layout of the boat is very similar to my SL. However, everything was just a little less nice. The tower isn't as nice. The upholstery looks similar, but isn't Cool Touch, and isn't quite as nicely done. The screens and controls are more reminiscent of the 2018 and earlier Supras. It has a walk through on the transom, but that also isn't as deep or well done as my Supra.

That said, I'd say the wave is comparable. The wave on the Fi22 I demoed was actually a bit taller and longer than the Ri237. BUT, the Ri237 did NOT have the bow rise the Fi22 did. It rode pretty flat, similar to the SL.

The boat I rode today is the dealer's demo boat, which is at their "blowout" cost price of $119k. Coincidentally what I paid for my SL at the end of August. I would not pay the same money for that boat as my SL.

Supra for the win! [emoji16] https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20191016/631ca79842b6e8f5dda240f16f949acc.jpg

Cool pics. Did the Ri237 have the add'l ballast bags if just 2-3 people onboard?

Cute smile in pic 1 - is that a photo shop edit that removed the glare?

Shoebox
10-16-2019, 09:33 AM
Cool pics. Did the Ri237 have the add'l ballast bags if just 2-3 people onboard?

Cute smile in pic 1 - is that a photo shop edit that removed the glare?It had the stock 5k ballast. 2500 bags and 2500 Ramfill. They didn't fill the bow bag at all, and when she was surfing he removed 25% from the starboard tank and bag to list the boat a little and clean the wave up a little more. They are pro skim riders, so they like a little flatter wave.

I noticed that about that pic too. Not sure why, but the pic just somehow worked out that way. [emoji1360] Looking at it some more, I think it's the shade from the bimini that removed the glare.

MJHSupra
10-16-2019, 10:00 AM
Now that you say that . . . . bimini to the rescue. Cool.

When I was on the 25 at the end of the summer, they did the same thing. Created a little list and the wave cleaned up nice.

Slinger
10-21-2019, 04:19 AM
I own a 2019 SL, haven't been on or seen an Ri. I did wakeboard on a Fi23 and there is no way I would buy that boat for wake boarding.... barely got planing and the bow rise at wakeboard speed was crazy. Worse though was the wake, crazy steep and zero landing zone.

NewbFam5
10-22-2019, 12:57 AM
I'm planning on getting out on an RI237 and FI23 this week if I can. Have heard lots of good about them from a wave standpoint and want to have that as a comparison to Supra and G23. The SL wave was really good as was the G wave. No close out Supra's here.......

haknslash
10-22-2019, 12:00 PM
Do Centurions still have the hydrolock issue? I remember watching a video of an Ri from a Centurion dealer and they were explaining how to help avoid hydrolocking the engine.

Shoebox
10-22-2019, 02:55 PM
Do Centurions still have the hydrolock issue? I remember watching a video of an Ri from a Centurion dealer and they were explaining how to help avoid hydrolocking the engine.Apparently they put in a software update that drains the ballast if you sit with the engine off for more than a few minutes.

haknslash
10-22-2019, 07:50 PM
Does the motor sit lower in those boats than other boats that have FAE style exhaust (Supra, Moomba, Malibu, etc) or is it just an issue with their exhaust silencer design that causes water to enter into the engine? We fill the ballast on our boat when we are at a cover to make it easier for everyone to get back on the swim deck and no issues.

larry_arizona
10-22-2019, 07:54 PM
Centurions draft 10” deeper than moombas and Supras, this might have something to do with it.

MJHSupra
10-24-2019, 10:51 PM
or is it just an issue with their exhaust silencer design that causes water to enter into the engine? .

I thought they put that Stinger exhaust on the boats to help so that hydro locking did not happen.

Pretty sure the issue was before that new exhaust came out.

haknslash
10-24-2019, 11:22 PM
I thought they put that Stinger exhaust on the boats to help so that hydro locking did not happen.

Pretty sure the issue was before that new exhaust came out.

This is the video I watched and its from this year. I'm not that familiar with what years but seems it was still a current issue and something to think about with those boats when sitting in a cove.

https://youtu.be/ZFiEqqe0kWk

MJHSupra
10-25-2019, 11:55 AM
This is the video I watched and its from this year. I'm not that familiar with what years but seems it was still a current issue and something to think about with those boats when sitting in a cove.

https://youtu.be/ZFiEqqe0kWk

Yea - some owners pretty POed about that issue on those boats. Recall reading about it.

That video is from BoardCo, they are big dealer of that boat line - if not the biggest. So the information you get is different vs an owners who have gone through this. Just saying . . .

If you visit the other forums, you will not hear as many stories like you once did on the Centurion boards about hydolock on 6 figure boats. Not sure if they are on boats with rubber exhaust flaps OR that new exhaust OR both. All boats have issues - screens, software, electrical, etc, but this specific one more prevalent on Centurion.

Can also be caused by an item like a bad head gasket, bad rubber exhaust flappers or stopping the boat suddenly, killing the motor the exhaust pressure.

Want so see a Boat Salesman squirm? Go to the local boat show, go to the Centurion booth, bring this subject up.

Shoebox
10-25-2019, 03:53 PM

https://youtu.be/ZFiEqqe0kWkHe's full of crap saying it's a problem on all boats. It's a Centurion problem, not because of the 5k ballast, it's because the boat drafts so much deeper and as a result the motor sits lower than any other boat, relative to the water line. Put 5k in a Supra, plus people on the back, you won't have this issue.

larry_arizona
10-25-2019, 05:05 PM
Geez they even came up with a fancy name for it, “Passive Hydrolocking”. That is a marketing method of making it sound common.

I stand by my 10” deeper draft as root cause.

Shoebox
10-25-2019, 05:50 PM
I stand by my 10” deeper draft as root cause.
That's exactly what it is, because the motor sits so much lower due to the greater draft.

larry_arizona
10-25-2019, 07:41 PM
The bigger question is, with this design flaw, does Centurion warranty “passive hydrolock”?

sandm
10-27-2019, 10:32 AM
knowing they are coming out of the same area, supreme have the same issues?

larry_arizona
10-27-2019, 12:42 PM
knowing they are coming out of the same area, supreme have the same issues?

Very possible as they draft 36”

zabooda
10-27-2019, 12:52 PM
Passive systems normally are very good except when it is in a negative connotation. You need to correct the problem and active systems are easier to fix.

larry_arizona
10-27-2019, 01:08 PM
Passive systems normally are very good except when it is in a negative connotation. You need to correct the problem and active systems are easier to fix.

So you are saying centurions need an automatic bilge pump inside the exhaust lol.

Kurtbagger34
10-27-2019, 01:22 PM
Hi

I was wondering how many horsepowers this thing has?
I am reflecting it to the toyota supra (car). Just a fun imagination haha

/
Kurt

Shoebox
10-27-2019, 01:25 PM
So you are saying centurions need an automatic bilge pump inside the exhaust lol.

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkSeems like they could benefit from one of these that closes on engine shutdown and opens at start.

QTP QTEC30 3" Electric Exhaust Cutout Valve 3-Bolt Flange https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003R2OQUI/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_djDTDbDHPPSFE

larry_arizona
10-27-2019, 01:27 PM
Seems like they could benefit from one of these that closes on engine shutdown and opens at start.

QTP QTEC30 3" Electric Exhaust Cutout Valve 3-Bolt Flange https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003R2OQUI/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_djDTDbDHPPSFE

Pretty sure exhaust cutouts aren’t water tight lol. But I like the concept.

Shoebox
10-27-2019, 02:01 PM
Pretty sure exhaust cutouts aren’t water tight lol. But I like the concept.

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkNo, but they could be made to be for a marine application.

sandm
10-27-2019, 03:24 PM
interesting that they didn't route the exhaust up high then back down. have seem some exhausts on the old lowpro jetboats that have thru transom exhausts where they put a riser in it to keep this from happening.
100k+ boats - that's kind of a big miss and something that should have been project #1 for the engineering team rather than dumping ballast when parked.