PDA

View Full Version : Shrink Wrapping your boat for winter - Pros/Cons

Savoyh8bnpr
10-02-2019, 02:13 PM
Does anyone have any experience with shrink wrapping their boat for winter? I live in North Carolina so the winters are not too terribly cold, but I am planning on having my boat winterized, shrink wrapped, and stored outside at the dealership. I have always had indoor storage in the past so I have no experience with shrink wrapping. I would think shrink wrapping has to be better than covering with a tarp, or using stock cover. I have read stories of people that have had mold issues, scratched their boat, etc. I am assuming these are more the exception than the norm? Any thoughts or experiences would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

sandm
10-02-2019, 04:41 PM
never shrinkwrapped to store outdoors but did shrinkwrap to travel across the country 2x with it and no issues. current boat was wrapped in oklahoma and now in nevada with no issues due to the actual shrinkwrap. a good wrapper will put stuff in to absorb moisture. just make sure the boat is good and dry before you get it done.

if I had to do it again I would try to have a shop put on a trans shield cover rather than shrinkwrap. it was a few $$ more back in '13 than regular shrinkwrap. if you are careful in removing it in the spring you can use it over and over as a cover if you do indoor storage again. I wrapped my boat with it and drove to green bay and then used it as a winter cover to keep dust and debris out of the boat in the warehouse I stored it in. worked great for 4 seasons- keeping in mind it's NOT reusable as a watertight but more drapes over the boat to keep dust out.
goes on like shrinkwrap but your boat dealer will have to order it ahead of time.