PDA

View Full Version : Drilling through fiberglass...any advice?

iaonbb
03-04-2007, 03:51 PM
Hey all, I need to drill a hole in the top deck next to the tower mounts to route my tower speaker/light wiring into the bulkhead behind the observers seat. Need less to say I'm paranoid at the thought of taking a drill to my baby. I've read several tips online but not sure what to trust. Most say apply masking tape to prevent splintering gel coat. Also, start with a small bit in reverse slowly to wear through the gelcoat , then dill away, increasing the bit size slightly each time. I'm thinking a 1/4" to 1/2" would would suffice. Any help?!?

Thanks!!!

pickle311
03-04-2007, 04:20 PM
Masking tape does work, make a small pilot hole and use a good sharp drill bit, I've drilled holes all in my boat and never had a problem, except drilling through the bottom of the hull lol

carsondoc
03-04-2007, 05:13 PM
pickle gave the right advice. I've drilled holes for a wake plate, deflection guage and four cleats. New sharp bit, masking tape, patient reverse drilling through the gelcoat and finish 'er off.

You will be surprised how easy it is.

I have found that for larger holes a "hole saw" type bit works really well and leaves a very clean finish also.

iaonbb
03-05-2007, 04:21 PM
Thanks guys...will tackle soon.

Pickle~ I read your post and cringed as I have a couple amps to mount also in the coming weeks...good luck w the repair!

M

pickle311
03-05-2007, 04:48 PM
Thanks guys...will tackle soon.

Pickle~ I read your post and cringed as I have a couple amps to mount also in the coming weeks...good luck w the repair!

M

:lol: it was really no biggie, you can't even tell anything happened now, it was really an easy fix. I'm polishing and waxing my boat right now, hopefully I can get some pics and post them tonight if I finish it all up. I refuse to take pics if anything on the boat is dirty.