View Full Version : Interesting New Propeller Technology

Jeepers
09-15-2019, 02:48 PM
http://www.sharrowengineering.com.

Now serving recreational market...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

zabooda
09-15-2019, 04:05 PM
Egg beater technology is used now for wind turbines but they operate perpendicular to the air flow. I take exception to the lack of major advancement since the 1930s. In particular, through the hub exhaust in the 1960s and torque shifting props about a decade ago. I'll be interested where this goes.

larry_arizona
09-15-2019, 04:12 PM
Simply need to see data of standard design versus this new technology.

It either works or it doesn’t

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stazi
09-15-2019, 04:17 PM
That’s a weed catcher!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

sandm
09-15-2019, 04:55 PM
saw this a few months ago on another wakeboat forum.

personally, I bet it'd take years of use to offset the difference in price basing it off their fuel economy savings, will it shear off or bend the same way our current props are built to save the drivelines and if you do ding it, good luck getting it fixed in a few days locally if they are even able to straighten it out.
wonder if they have tested it on a listed or surf-system boat to see if it's propwash has different characteristics.

way too many unknowns to be attached to a boat I own in the immediate future.

Jeepers
09-15-2019, 05:02 PM
They’re claiming 17% more efficiency compared to current technology. More thrust with less torque on engine and shaft and eliminates cavitation. I actually read an article a few years ago about their “top secret” new nuclear sub propeller. The idea was that even though subs are stealth; enemy subs can still track the cavitation from the propellers.

See the attached video:

https://m.facebook.com/story/graphql_permalink/?graphql_id=UzpfSTEyMjk3MjI2MTY5MjQ4ODpWSzo2MDI4OD Y1ODM1NTQ0ODc%3D

Jeepers
09-15-2019, 05:20 PM
They’re claiming 17% more efficiency compared to current technology. More thrust with less torque on engine and shaft and eliminates cavitation. I actually read an article a few years ago about their “top secret” new nuclear sub propeller. The idea was that even though subs are stealth; enemy subs can still track the cavitation from the propellers.

See the attached video:

https://m.facebook.com/story/graphql_permalink/?graphql_id=UzpfSTEyMjk3MjI2MTY5MjQ4ODpWSzo2MDI4OD Y1ODM1NTQ0ODc%3D

Oops!

Sorry. Had my #’s backwards: 9-15% more efficient while reducing torque on the drive train by 17%.

Jeepers
09-15-2019, 05:21 PM
Egg beater technology is used now for wind turbines but they operate perpendicular to the air flow. I take exception to the lack of major advancement since the 1930s. In particular, through the hub exhaust in the 1960s and torque shifting props about a decade ago. I'll be interested where this goes.

I think they’re referring to the basic design principle. Solid leaf blade.

Jeepers
09-15-2019, 05:22 PM
saw this a few months ago on another wakeboat forum.

personally, I bet it'd take years of use to offset the difference in price basing it off their fuel economy savings, will it shear off or bend the same way our current props are built to save the drivelines and if you do ding it, good luck getting it fixed in a few days locally if they are even able to straighten it out.
wonder if they have tested it on a listed or surf-system boat to see if it's propwash has different characteristics.

way too many unknowns to be attached to a boat I own in the immediate future.

I think the price is $6-$700 for 25” prop. I imagine a 15” prop would come in around at or below what ACME and OJ are charging.