PDA

View Full Version : water in oil

lakemanalcrystallake
09-13-2019, 09:27 PM
2012 Moomba mojo ballast hose came off while wakeboarding and filled motor compartment with a foot of water. did not notice until steam came into boat.
Checked oil and was milky. Hauled to a garage and they purged oil several times then started. Milky oil continued. I have not brought it to the one dealer in the state yet.
Any ideas what is broken and estimate of repair cost?
thanks
lakemanalcrystallake

Stazi
09-13-2019, 09:35 PM
Do a compression check to see if the head gasket(s) are blown. Hopefully not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Turbinesurgeon
09-13-2019, 11:59 PM
I’m thinking it’s internal. I’ve had more than a foot of water in the bilge and it won’t harm the engine. I think you would’ve had to fill the entire compartment up to let water through the intake to then get it in the crank case.

DOCDRS
09-14-2019, 12:49 AM
Water can get in thru the dipstick tube block connection but I would think after 2 oil changes all water would be out. Was the oil water free earlier in the season?
Are you telling us the entire story? I see its your first post. How long have you had the boat. A foot in the engine compartment would mean you have water on the floor of your boat. How long have you had the boat? Where exactly did the ballast hose come off? Are you a troll?

lakemanalcrystallake
09-14-2019, 09:52 AM
DOCDRS
Not sure what your agenda is. No I'm not a troll. The facts are as previously stated. Local garage changed oil four times and started engine. Oil remained milky. He suggested I bring it to a Moomba dealer. Boat was running perfect before this. I called dealer but service manager not in today. I will visit him Monday to discuss.

DOCDRS
09-14-2019, 04:24 PM
DOCDRS
Not sure what your agenda is. No I'm not a troll. The facts are as previously stated. Local garage changed oil four times and started engine. Oil remained milky. He suggested I bring it to a Moomba dealer. Boat was running perfect before this. I called dealer but service manager not in today. I will visit him Monday to discuss.

Great, you answered the last question how about the first 2 questions

MLA
09-14-2019, 08:25 PM
Find a new shop and start over. This is not an issue that needs a Moomba dealer to resolve. Any shop with basic engine repair experience can diagnose and repair. Water in the bilge will not find its way into the engine. Only logical theory is that water caused the engine belt to slip, engine ran hot, real hot.

Turbinesurgeon
09-14-2019, 10:24 PM
Find a new shop and start over. This is not an issue that needs a Moomba dealer to resolve. Any shop with basic engine repair experience can diagnose and repair. Water in the bilge will not find its way into the engine. Only logical theory is that water caused the engine belt to slip, engine ran hot, real hot.

This ^^^^

lakemanalcrystallake
09-16-2019, 07:29 AM
MLA
you may be on to something. The first indication that something was wrong is when steam or smoke appeared. That's when we checked and found the water in the engine compartment. After emptying water resumed surfing then it stalled after half an hour and we got towed in. Then discovered water in oil. Waiting for dealer to open so I can speak with service manager.
thanks

lakemanalcrystallake
09-18-2019, 05:18 PM
UPDATE
Dealer just called. Problem is two cracked intake manifolds. Parts are $3000 labor $800. Parts are on backlog at Indmar.

larry_arizona
09-18-2019, 05:55 PM
$3000 for 2 manifolds sounds steep. Might want to procure the parts on your own.

Manifolds should be $350 each and if you need risers $200 each. Plus maybe $50 in gaskets

Probably the easiest part to service on the engine too.

Stazi
09-18-2019, 06:19 PM
2 INTAKE manifolds? 2.......!?!?!!!

You do know that there’s only one intake manifold, right Something fucky going on here.

larry_arizona
09-18-2019, 06:49 PM
2 INTAKE manifolds? 2.......!?!?!!!

You do know that there’s only one intake manifold, right Something fucky going on here.

Great point, I immediately thought exhaust manifolds

DOCDRS
09-18-2019, 11:32 PM
He probably meant 2 exhaust manifolds, but whats the chance of both going......oh wait....back to how long have you had the boat?....then who winterized it and did they drain the exhaust manifolds? Did they winterize the ballast system? why would a hose come off? where did it come off? Like I said before this is sounding more like bullshit. He has yet to answer my questions. We are here to help , but like to know all the facts, so when stupid stuff comes up we will jump all over you. Did you winterize it?
btw Cat exhaust manifolds can be pricey. But again how long have you had the boat? ..... don't make me say it......because i will

BrentC5Z
09-19-2019, 10:34 AM
Sounds like a COOLANT hose (lake water) came off and flooded your engine bay. This also caused the engine to overheat warping / cracking the manifolds.

lakemanalcrystallake
09-19-2019, 02:10 PM
CORRECTION.
I called the dealer and found I misquoted him. It is the exhaust manifolds. He said they are so expensive as they have built in catalytic converters. He also said after market ones are almost the same price but don't have the same warrantee period as Indmar.
Sorry for the confusion.

lakemanalcrystallake
09-19-2019, 02:17 PM
DOCDRS
You say you want to help members but you act more like an attack dog. Appears you have anger management issues. What has the length of time I had the boat reievent to my problem. The boat ran perfect all summer long. It was winterized by the dealer and included the ballast tanks.
If you really want to help members I suggest you read replies from others who really want to be helpful and don't have whatever you agenda is.

DOCDRS
09-20-2019, 09:44 AM
Whoa Lakeman, I thought how long have you had the boat and where exactly did the ballast hose come off were pretty simple questions. How long helps me as to your familiarization with the boat. Where exactly did the ballast hose come off helps me figure out if it really was a ballast hose or some other. Since you don't know the difference between an intake manifold and an exhaust manifold nor that there is only one intake manifolds lets me know your level of knowledge about your boat. Exhaust manifolds have to be properly winterized and if not can lead to their failure.....if you just got the boat they may have been cracked already and hence the reason you now need 2. Not sure why you are getting your panties all in a knot over 2 simple questions I asked.
Here are some more.... did they make the Mojo in 2012? I thought the Mojo was introduced in 2015?.....does the boat have ballast tanks , bags or both? I can go on but whats the point. If you don't know or care what hose came off or what caused you to require 2 new Cats......why should I. If you can't give me more specifics its kind of hard to help you.

oops I am kind of wrong, I forgot the mojo 2.5 but I believe it was 2013 but close enough , my error and I apologize

lakemanalcrystallake
09-20-2019, 03:11 PM
New Update
Dealer said manifold on backorder from Indmar for 4 to 6 weeks. I ordered them on line from Inboardonline.com for $2137.06 for a $750 savings. Dealer will install. Expect to receive them Wednesday

Stazi
09-20-2019, 03:14 PM
I still want to know how a cracked exhaust manifold allows water to get into the oiling system?

Did the dealer do a compression check of the block?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

MLA
09-20-2019, 03:59 PM
Water in the crankcase from cracked exhaust manifolds is certainly not the most direct path, but I would never say never. On the same side of the coin, if an engine ran hot enough, its toast. Thats the worst thing you can do to an engine. Cylinders get out of round, pistons scuff, heads and block warps, etc.

larry_arizona
09-20-2019, 04:02 PM
If you cracked an exhaust manifold, I am sure you could also crack a water jacket and or cracked a cylinder.

Stazi
09-20-2019, 05:19 PM
Yeah...that I can agree with! It’s nots the cracked manifolds that let the water in.

Hence why I said have the motor compression checked otherwise new manifold aren’t going to do jack shit to fix a cracked block!

Turbinesurgeon
09-20-2019, 11:15 PM
I’m guessing every time you shut the engine off water could flow into the exhaust and get into the crankcase through the exhaust valve. That’s the only thing that makes sense to me.

Stazi
09-20-2019, 11:59 PM
I’m guessing every time you shut the engine off water could flow into the exhaust and get into the crankcase through the exhaust valve. That’s the only thing that makes sense to me.

The piston rings would have to be completely fucked for that to happen.

Turbinesurgeon
09-21-2019, 09:42 AM
The piston rings would have to be completely fucked for that to happen.

Yeah your right. Must have overheated and cracked a head or something.

DOCDRS
09-24-2019, 12:00 PM

This^^^^^....when shut off water can flow thru exhaust valve into cylinder head. The water will then seep past the ring gaps into the crank case.

The question is where did the water in the bilge come from? What hose came off? I would not think a ballast hose would cause an overheat issue. Was the water warm in the bilge? Why did the automatic bilge pump not come on? When was the oil level last checked.

Shoebox
09-24-2019, 12:03 PM
This^^^^^....when shut off water can flow thru exhaust valve into cylinder head. The water will then seep past the ring gaps into the crank case.That would hydrolock the engine. Had it happen on a 92 Seaswirl several years ago.

MLA
09-24-2019, 01:54 PM
This^^^^^....when shut off water can flow thru exhaust valve into cylinder head. The water will then seep past the ring gaps into the crank case.

The question is where did the water in the bilge come from? What hose came off? I would not think a ballast hose would cause an overheat issue. Was the water warm in the bilge? Why did the automatic bilge pump not come on? When was the oil level last checked.

Water will sit in the cylinders for a LONG time. Next start up, you would be hydro-locked.

996scott
09-24-2019, 02:16 PM
Docdrs brings up a good point of why did the automatic bilge not turn on. Better make sure that gets checked out.

Turbinesurgeon
09-24-2019, 09:16 PM
Only takes a very small amount of water to contaminate oil. It could just be a small amount getting in. It takes an awe full lot to hydro lock. I’ve only hydro locked with fuel and the fuel in the cylinders definitely contaminated the oil. I hope for the OP that the new manifilolds fixes the problem.

DOCDRS
09-29-2019, 08:31 AM
If I was the OP, I would be asking
Why did 2 exhaust manifolds crack?
Was the oil checked previous to this event to determine if there was water intrusion?
If there was water intrusion was the oil level above the high level mark on the dipstick?
Was it a ballast hose or a cooling hose that came off and why? Was a clamp loose?
Did the engine overheat?......did a warning come up on the dash?
Did the boat run fine after the ballast hose water was removed, and the OP thought he should check his oil and that’s when he discovered it milky?

Seems odd that everything was fine all season then all of a sudden he needs 2 exhaust manifolds from a ballast hose coming off.

lakemanalcrystallake
10-04-2019, 01:11 PM
FINAL UPDATE
Moomba dealer replaced both exhaust manifolds,oil,filter spark plugs and water pump impeller.
Before repair cylinders compression tested at 210-220.
Launched boat in lake and ran for forty five minutes. Appears to be normal.
For those members that questioned if cracked manifold can cause water in oil I would suggest asking the question on google and see the many affirmative answers.

MJHSupra
10-04-2019, 10:37 PM
Up and rolling

Sent from my P00I using Tapatalk

Turbinesurgeon
10-04-2019, 11:51 PM
FINAL UPDATE
Moomba dealer replaced both exhaust manifolds,oil,filter spark plugs and water pump impeller.
Before repair cylinders compression tested at 210-220.
Launched boat in lake and ran for forty five minutes. Appears to be normal.
For those members that questioned if cracked manifold can cause water in oil I would suggest asking the question on google and see the many affirmative answers.

Glad to hear you got it fixed and back up and running. Thanks for giving us an update.

Stazi
10-05-2019, 08:38 AM
Keep an eye on that oil like a hawk.

996scott
10-07-2019, 02:19 PM
great news! hopefully you can get out and enjoy it this season.

web
10-07-2019, 02:38 PM
Great to hear, get it on the water for the last couple of weekends