PDA

View Full Version : so uh....I just drilled a hole through the hull of my boat

pickle311
02-26-2007, 09:00 PM
oops ..... :oops: I was mounting the amp rack and it looked like it was safe to run a screw into the hull, obviously it wasn't. Now I have a 5/32" hole in the bottom of my boat, any idea what the best way to fix it would be? I'd like to do it myself, I know I can handle it. I just don't know what to use to fill the hole and you can get gelcoat repair kits from Academy. Any suggestions?

Buttafewcoe
02-27-2007, 05:53 AM
You won't be able to just do the gelcoat thing....you hafta 'glass it too.
Just putting gel-coat would kinda be like spackling the hole, You prolly would want to reinforce it
B

Yellowmobius
02-27-2007, 10:00 AM
OUCH!!!!

I would at least get a estimate from a fiberglass shop, you might be surprised.

again, OUCH!
good luck with the repair!

pickle311
02-27-2007, 12:03 PM
it's going to be an easy fix since it's such a small hole. I'm going to seal the hole from the bottom and use a large syringe to inject fiberglass resin into the hole. It won't take much at all. Once it's dry I'll hit the bottom with the gelcoat repair kit and see how that comes out. If it looks bad then I'll take it to the shop to get the gel coat touched up.

Buttafewcoe
02-27-2007, 12:05 PM
That'll prolly work just fine.
B

JesseC
02-27-2007, 12:38 PM
Well besides ventilating the hull...how did the amp rack turn out? And you know we need pictures of your progress.

pickle311
02-27-2007, 03:13 PM
Well besides ventilating the hull...how did the amp rack turn out? And you know we need pictures of your progress.

that made for a good laugh, I'll get pics of all my winter projects and post them when it's 100% complete and cleaned up. It's about 90% right now and hopefully 95% by the end of the day.

Wolf-
02-27-2007, 09:16 PM

Now that he has the pilot hole drilled, he can go ahead and put the ballast pickup in.

qb12
02-27-2007, 09:48 PM

Now that he has the pilot hole drilled, he can go ahead and put the ballast pickup in.

wolf, my thoughts exactly. or go ahead install perfect pass :P

pickle311
02-27-2007, 10:09 PM
I thought about that too, but it was to far forward and would be out of the water once the boat was on plane