PDA

View Full Version : Adding seat hinges to a Max

Max673
08-22-2019, 09:42 PM
Would like to add hinges to the larger seats in my Max behind the driver seat and same on port side. Curious if anyone has done this and what hinges were used. Pics would be great if you have any. Thanks

2019 Moomba Max

RUGER761
08-22-2019, 10:24 PM
Here’s one thread with them added along with other items

https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?31541-Murder-Max-Mods/page11&highlight=Murder

I would give these a shot if it was me though so the seat opens up towards you

https://www.greatlakesskipper.com/skier-s-choice-boat-folding-seat-hinges-7-1-4-x-4-3-4-inch-set-of-2

FamilyMan
08-25-2019, 01:54 PM
Here’s one thread with them added along with other items

https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?31541-Murder-Max-Mods/page11&highlight=Murder

I would give these a shot if it was me though so the seat opens up towards you

https://www.greatlakesskipper.com/skier-s-choice-boat-folding-seat-hinges-7-1-4-x-4-3-4-inch-set-of-2

Those won't work. Z28/MurderMax did it with those because there are no cross beams to attach those to. The port side lacks cross beams on both sides and the starboard side lacks a cross beam on the stern side.

I believe he contemplated adding the cross beams to make it work, but ultimately went with his solution. I keep going back and forth on whether or not to add them as it is a nice solution....but I'm feeling like my boat will be a 3-4 year boat at most until I jump up in size and will just deal with the minor inconvenience. I only access them to let them dry out when being put up. If you plan on keeping it for any length of time, seems well worth the small trouble.

Mwcraz
08-25-2019, 02:01 PM
I wonder if they will work on the bench cushions behind the driver and passenger seating area? I have a craz and have thought about looking into hinged cushions.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Midwest Surfer
11-07-2020, 06:57 PM
I’m not sure if anyone answered your question but I’m interested in this as well. I would not want to have the seat open out like the example given shows but open up like a normal bench seat would. Hopefully the pic explains what I mean. I’d like to where to get these hinges as well.

DNIXD99
11-07-2020, 07:15 PM
This is the one mod I wish I had

haknslash
11-07-2020, 07:55 PM
Yup wished mine were hinged too. I’ve actually got two small tears in both of my bow cushions from them being so heavy and awkward shaped to handle it’s easy for them to drop in the compartment unless you use hands. Around $450 to replace the entire cushion from SC or $350 for the skin and have a local shop install it. I’m just going to order them as complete replacements from SC at some point. My filler cushion thankfully hides them but still..ugh.

dakota4ce
11-07-2020, 09:52 PM
Yup wished mine were hinged too. I’ve actually got two small tears in both of my bow cushions from them being so heavy and awkward shaped to handle it’s easy for them to drop in the compartment unless you use hands. Around $450 to replace the entire cushion from SC or $350 for the skin and have a local shop install it. I’m just going to order them as complete replacements from SC at some point. My filler cushion thankfully hides them but still..ugh.

Bow cushions are never hinged on any boats....

Yes they’re certainly awkward!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

larry_arizona
11-07-2020, 10:01 PM
Bow cushions are never hinged on any boats....

Yes they’re certainly awkward!

2020+ SA bow seats are hinged.

dakota4ce
11-07-2020, 10:07 PM
2020+ SA bow seats are hinged.

Moomba Boats*

rockymtnsurfer
11-08-2020, 08:11 AM
I did what Murder Max did with his......they open to the front......works great and saves the vinyl when my teems would drop them in. I did get a longer hinge then murder did....for more support.

https://www.greatlakesskipper.com/standard-aluminum-36-x-6-1-4-inch-16-gage-boat-piano-hinge-single

The opening direction doesn't bother me because my compartments are fill with 1000's and only free for storage when we are not surfing for the day.

On my front cushions....I put a strap in the middle across the opening with a snap on one side. When someone opens it and it wants to fall into the compartment, the strap keeps it from falling in. Again, it saves the vinyl. When you have to put boards or something big in there, undo the snap.

D

Dank
11-09-2020, 04:10 PM
I did what Murder Max did with his......they open to the front......works great and saves the vinyl when my teems would drop them in. I did get a longer hinge then murder did....for more support.

https://www.greatlakesskipper.com/standard-aluminum-36-x-6-1-4-inch-16-gage-boat-piano-hinge-single

The opening direction doesn't bother me because my compartments are fill with 1000's and only free for storage when we are not surfing for the day.

On my front cushions....I put a strap in the middle across the opening with a snap on one side. When someone opens it and it wants to fall into the compartment, the strap keeps it from falling in. Again, it saves the vinyl. When you have to put boards or something big in there, undo the snap.

D

Genius... ! cost effective too.

haknslash
11-09-2020, 05:36 PM

D

I like that strap idea. Might have to borrow that.

rockymtnsurfer
11-10-2020, 08:27 AM
For the front cushions....I positioned the strap a little more to the back of the boat and not centered. I found during my test....that the wider part of the cushion would want to fall in first. And from the few nicks that were from it falling in the compartment...they were more towards the back. Also....make sure the center hull side of the strap is inset enough to not be seen when the cushion is on. I made this mistake on the fronts and had to put the rubber coating spray stuff in white to have it not be seen. The center cushions in the boat (before hinges installed) the straps were installed in the center of the cushion.
D

z28ke
11-10-2020, 09:08 AM
For the front cushions....I positioned the strap a little more to the back of the boat and not centered. I found during my test....that the wider part of the cushion would want to fall in first. And from the few nicks that were from it falling in the compartment...they were more towards the back. Also....make sure the center hull side of the strap is inset enough to not be seen when the cushion is on. I made this mistake on the fronts and had to put the rubber coating spray stuff in white to have it not be seen. The center cushions in the boat (before hinges installed) the straps were installed in the center of the cushion.
D

Great idea for the front cushions, do you have any pics?

rockymtnsurfer
11-11-2020, 08:26 AM
Great idea for the front cushions, do you have any pics?

First Pic: Obviously the strap with the snap

Second: How it looks when you screw up and put the hole to far to the outside edge. (on all the others before the hinges, I place one of the round stickers from office supply place to see if it was covered)

Third: Hinge like Murder Max did, but longer.

Forth: Obviously both hinged and open

FYI: I found the snap set up worked great for cushions falling in (which annoyed me and messed up two cover edges) However, the snap and the screw will put some pressure marks on you upolstry trim strip) Did it effect mine over the summer? No.....however, I was going to and still might experiment as to how I can avoid this in the long term. I do upolstry myself and always figured if there was an issue, I would be able to repair it. But I wanted to express the situation before anyone else did it. I also use screws vs. bolts like I did on the hinges. If a snap breaks, very easy to repair and put a new snap on...same location. Maybe all this helps......maybe not:) but it solved my stress with the teens constantly going in the compartments....especially friends who didn't know the system.

Moombas
09-13-2023, 02:43 PM
Found this on youtube, who is this guy I need to know what hinges he used. This is perfect!
https://www.youtube.com/shorts/enT1u-WHbOE

htfit
09-13-2023, 03:53 PM
If I am not mistaken, he made the hinges. He made the brackets/supports out of angle iron.

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

Holdmybeer
09-13-2023, 06:08 PM
He made the supports for the hinges. The hinges appear to be malibu/axis hinges.

rockymtnsurfer
09-14-2023, 06:24 AM
He made the supports for the hinges. The hinges appear to be malibu/axis hinges.

https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?37814-Hinges-better-than-nothing&p=383969#post383969