PDA

View Full Version : New Boat = How long till you can pull a Wakeboarder ?

anabolicone
02-22-2007, 07:02 PM
Ok - Havent posted much but Ive a question - Bought a 07 Mobius LSV at the boat show in Charlotte and it will be here sometime in April - needless to say I am sooooo excited. Got into wakeboarding last year and loved it so we are sellin our Seadoo Challenger 2000 ( 20 ft Jetboat - holds 8) anyway the jet boat was fun but no matter what -- it would throw no wake -- maybe get a foot outta water edgeing hard - no tower either. So on a side note its for sale at a good price - email me if interested.

On to my question -- Once i get my Mobius -- How soon after can I start wakeboarding ? pulling tubers etc. I know there is a break in period but what does that mean ?
Thanks for any input.

STOKED in NC

wazzumoo
02-22-2007, 08:26 PM
Coneman-

I am not an expert, as my LSV is still on order as well, and I have never owned a brand new boat (but have purchased a few used ones). I downloaded the (84 page) owners manual from last years model (under resource library), which on pg 23 states to run the engine at no more than 2000 RPM the first hour, no more than 3000 RPM the 2nd hr, and no more than 4000 RPM the next 5, all the while varying speed. It also says not to pull anything (heavy) during the break in period. Therefore, I am assuming it is okay after ~8 hours. (Although I'm reading into it the longer the better)

Does this sound correct to any of the more experienced Moomba owners?

qb12
02-22-2007, 08:36 PM
wazz, first of all there is no pulling tubes from a lsv :lol:

i am pretty sure indmar recommends 20 hrs on the boat before doing pulling any type of wakeboarder or "tuber"..

You won't belive how dirty the oil will be after your first oil change. After that have it changed, or change it your self at every 50 hrs.

what does this boil down to. go out and just cruise at various speeds untill you get to the recommeded 20 hrs and have a beer and have fun.

smokedog2
02-22-2007, 11:12 PM
Monster Tubes ROCK!

:P

SD2

anabolicone
02-23-2007, 12:50 AM
Ok I know this might seem like a silly question especially to those who have had boats a while --actually I have had two prior to this one but my other two boats did not have HOUR meters--
When it states hours - is this literally - Do I just go out and run the boat around the lake for hours to get to the 20 hour mark
ie. 20 hours = 20 hours

thrash at will :lol:

lowdrag
02-23-2007, 02:13 AM
Yep, that's exactly what it means.

Another things that is good for an engine while breaking it in is heat cycles. Don't take your boat out and try to run it 10 hours straight so you can get the break in done in two days. Running it for a while then letting it cool is also a good idea.

JoeTechie
02-23-2007, 02:59 AM
Actually the manual states exactly what was posted - 8 hours of actuall "break-in", first, second and third - eighth hours at rpm and variety of speeds (the earlier, the more you want to varry) After that, you can have fun for 2 hours at any speed, and even play with the throttle, but after the 10 hours, the boat is broken in and you can tow away. I agree that this should take at least two days and should include some long lunch breaks as well to allow parts to cool and set.

You will want to bring the boat in for it's 10-20 hour service some time in that period. Let them clear out the fluids, check the boat stem to stern, resolve any problems you found (these are hand built boats, each has it's quirks, but so few now it is amazing) and then you can play all you want for ... well - ever!

Hour meter counts engine hours - if the engine is running, you are putting time on the engine... oh, and you will learn that idling is lame anyway (gas, fumes, heat, etc) - go out and enjoy!

Both of you!

-Joe

KangarooV
05-17-2007, 08:40 PM
In the process of doing my break in period (9 hours) I have been going through the RPM ranges...Putting almost full throttle then bringing it slowly up and down with the EZ Cruise. My dealer recommended not pushing full throttle and not towing anything until after the 20 hour oil change.

zippy
05-17-2007, 10:24 PM
i purchased an '07 lsv from my dealers stock in march. i usually start wakeboarding end of march to beging of april (by the way i like in wisconsin just south of green bay). just like everyone else, i wanted to start pulling right away. i read the manual and understood to properly break in the motor first. i talked to my dealer and he said to wait until about 5-8 hours before pulling a wakeboarder. they also said no tubing, skiing or multi-person pulling until after about 12 hours. there theory was that wakeboarders have shorter runs and slower speeds. they also said that most people wait to long to open there boats up. you will seat the rings better if you run at full throttle sooner.