PDA

View Full Version : Searching for 1st wakeboard boat

Pike
02-21-2007, 10:11 PM
I have been reading, asking and researching my arse off!! I am going to a boat show in April and Moomba is a consideration. Help me sway my decision to buy a Moomba. Also which Moomba is a good starter boat? Thanks

JesseC
02-22-2007, 12:27 AM
What will be your main use for the boat skiing, wakeboarding or a mix of the two? You will probably get some better input if you let us know what you are expecting or looking for. Personally I would buy another Moomba. I absolutely love my LSV.

Pike
02-22-2007, 03:52 AM
I would like to learn to wakeboard. The one thing I dont want is a boat that will leave me wanting more power the next season. Mainly I dont want to regret my first boat purchase. From what I have been reading the Moomba is a good boat, what problems have you had with your boat?

jglasson
02-22-2007, 04:38 AM
I've been looking since last August. I did lots of online research on boats. We used to have a 16' runabout and were at a lake that had a Malibu show. That got me hooked on "real" ski boats. Even before I saw the boat in person or drove it, I thought I wanted the Moomba Outback V due to online comments and value for the money. We went to the local boat show at the beginning of Jan, saw the boat, put a deposit down, test drove it, and gave them the rest of the money.

The Moomba is a no-frills performance boat. You don't have to pay for things you don't need.

We dedided on the V mostly due to the seating configuration, but now we are all going to learn to wakeboard in addition to ski. Make sure you get the wake plate if you want to ski.

Good luck!

JesseC
02-22-2007, 10:23 AM
The V is a really good boat from everything I have read there is no difference in your outback V and my 02 LSV.

Pike, I have the carburated 310 horsepower version and it has proven to be plenty of boat for my crew. I have pulled up two slalom skiers at once with little to no effort. I did increase the amount of ballast in the rear to help out the wakeboard wake a little more (see my links for mods I have done which may help you when ordering). The boat does a really good job for skiing as well, but some of the hard core skiers say there is a little bit of a bump in the wake for skiing. I mainly use my boat for wakeboarding, but I will emberass myself with a slalom ski every now and then. As far as problems, I have not had a single one that was major. I have burned up a ballast pump and a bilge pump, but that is going to happen no matter what kind of boat you buy.

I have owned other boats, but this was my first inboard boat and I absolutely love it!!! Once I learned how to take care of and handle the inboard, I will never go back to an Inboard/Outboard. You will not regret the purchase...

Ordering the baot with Perfect Pass and a Wake plate is a must....do not skimp on these two options. The perfect pass is a marraige saver and the wakeplate is a must.

JoeTechie
02-22-2007, 01:04 PM
Pike - the best starter wakeboard boat is the "Outback V". Great boat, great price, great layout, great wake. It comes standard with a 325 EFI Engine so it will be even better performance than Jesse's boat, and not have the few problems that carbs had. Turn the key and go. (oops - make sure to run blowers first)

You will need to price it with a wakeplate, tower, and ballast, and we all agree that the one expensive "option" should be perfect pass. Save on gelcoat, spend on PP.

Get the boat show pricing if it is still available in your area for incentives (see big "incentives" button on front page of www.moomba.com site to see what we are talking about)

There is no other boat that can come close to the price/performance ratio of that boat, and you will never look back at runabouts. The V-drive boats have as much or more room and storage than any runabout, hold more people, and have 80% of the top speed, and 150% of the tow capacity, 200% of the manuverability.

Hope this helps,

Joe

Pike
02-23-2007, 02:26 AM
Thank you so much to everyone that replied. Your responces have been alot of help. I will for sure go with Moomba.

JesseC
02-23-2007, 09:46 PM
Pike, where are you located?