PDA

View Full Version : Mounting questions

barefooter
06-24-2003, 10:27 AM
Two questions:

I have a 2001 Outback

1. Does anyone know where to install a stereo and and two speakers. Im assuming i can fit the stereo to the right of the steering wheel, but i have know idea where to mount two round six inch seakers..... Do i put them into the soft padding on the sides?

2. I dont know where to mount a Uniden 2 inch depth finder. Any ideas? Someboody said to mount it above the throttle. Does this sound right?

db7
06-24-2003, 11:09 AM
I looked at a few pictures of a 2001 outback and the dash didnt look to much different then the 2003 dash (if the pics were correct) On the new boats they mount the stereo in the glove box and the speakers in the padded sides behind the drivers seat.
If you go back to the main Moomba page, select Mobius on the top tool bar, go to photos, then on the picture of the boat at the bottom right of your screen click on the cock pit photo and you will see a depth finder mounted just in front of the thottle. Once again, I'm assuming they have about the same interiors? hope this helps

TheBeeZ
06-25-2003, 08:57 AM
I have a 2002 Outback. The stereo is mounted in the glove box and the speakers are near the back on each side in the padding. There is also speakers in the front. I also have a depth finder that is installed in front of the throttle. Where we ski a depth finder is worth every penny.

medevac130
06-25-2003, 11:40 AM
-I have an 01 and my stereo is in the right side of the steering wheel (kinda tight so measure well, esp. if you put a water tight marine radio cover in there with it which I highly recommend if you are going to use non-marine equipment). However, you can also put it in the glove box, but if you are like me it is always full of stuff...so I wouldn't advise putting it there unless you go with one that has a remote.
-The other posts are right on about the locations of the other gear. Having the depth finder not on the dash takes a little getting used to, but I don't even notice it now.

barefooter
06-25-2003, 11:54 AM
I appreciate the posts....Why do so many peoepl put the depth guage on the side avove the throttle?

Does it not fit well in the dash?

Also, what seems to work better for mounting the transductor (the sonar part) in the hull by the engine block or behind the boat on the Transom?

medevac130
06-25-2003, 12:10 PM
If you put the stereo on there it takes up all the room. As for the hull mounting I can't remember, but I will check and let you know (my gut is saying it is near the transom) glad to help

DCM
06-25-2003, 01:48 PM
Most of them are mounted somewhere in the center of the hull of the boat, under the motor or pilon. This will keep down the prop wash and mis-reads. As far as the readout itself, mine is located on the angled fiberglass panel between the dash and the gunwale.

Brian Raymond
06-28-2003, 11:25 PM
The prefered area is on the stbd. hull bottom, 3"-5" off of the ctr. keel, and even with the rear of the transmission housing. Make sure to sand the bilge area where you are going to do the install. When applying the 2-part epoxy, be sure no air voids are trapped between the transducer and hull. A discarded control cable(throttle,shifter) fed through from under the dash, through the bilge, to the desired area, tape the transducer wire to it(elect.tape), and slowly pull until the wire can be retrieved under the dash to make your final connections. Hope this helps.Brian Raymond