PDA

View Full Version : Which Model

BHask
08-12-2019, 12:05 AM
This will be my first time purchasing a boat. I have settled on the Moomba line. I have a dealer close that has a 2019 Mojo, 2019 Makai, and a 2019 Max. We are a family of 4, but frequently go out with another family of 5. We wakeboard and surf. Would you try to snag a 2019 leftover? If so, which of those 3? Or would you custom order? If you would order, would you do the Kaiyen, Mojo, or Makai? My budget is probably around the 90k mark. What percentage off (if any) will dealers typically do on a custom order? What kind of percentage off MSRP can I expect for a 2019 left over?

Stazi
08-12-2019, 07:37 AM
Go test drive all of them. The Makai is going to be the most luxurious of the 3, and the Max, the least, as it’s more of a budget big boat. The Max has a massive hull and needs LOTS of ballast to make the best surf wave, but when loaded right it is killer. The Mojo is going to be a great, well tested, boat to go with. I’d see what the best price is on either of them and if it’s in a color you can live with buy off the lot - you will get the best deal that way.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

BHask
08-12-2019, 10:02 AM
Go test drive all of them. The Makai is going to be the most luxurious of the 3, and the Max, the least, as it’s more of a budget big boat. The Max has a massive hull and needs LOTS of ballast to make the best surf wave, but when loaded right it is killer. The Mojo is going to be a great, well tested, boat to go with. I’d see what the best price is on either of them and if it’s in a color you can live with buy off the lot - you will get the best deal that way.

If you custom order, can you expect any discount at all? If so, what would % would be a "good deal"?

For a leftover 2019, should I be shooting for 10%?

larry_arizona
08-12-2019, 10:21 AM
10% is a lot on a moomba, 7-8% maybe

Where are you located?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BHask
08-12-2019, 11:04 AM
10% is a lot on a moomba, 7-8% maybe

Where are you located?

TN. I am not trying to haggle over every little dollar, but I don't want to go in there blind either. Some other brands talk of discounts in the 30% range, and I knew Moomba wasn't anywhere near that, but just want to know where to start the discussion. Will they do 7-8% on a custom order typically?

sandm
08-12-2019, 01:04 PM
leftover I'd shop the max. new for me it would be the kaiyan or max. 21.5-22.5ft is the sweet spot for our crew.
not sold on the mojo as the initial hull didn't surf the best in their lineup and I know it was revamped a few years into the model but I'd look toward a different hull that was surf-centric from the start. again all imo......

Stazi
08-12-2019, 02:16 PM
Kaiyan is certainly worth a look for a new boat.

flienlow
08-12-2019, 04:35 PM
I own the Max which is the smallest out of all 3. Its a very nice size boat for the crew you mentioned, and not over the top on budget should that be a concern. It gives you all of what you need without unnecessary excess or complexities that surely will be troublesome in the future. If Right now I was looking for a boat. I would for sure join the Supra and Moomba FB group and get a deal on one of the Several 2019 boats that are for sale there. I am amazed at how many recent boats are for sale.

Stazi
08-12-2019, 07:37 PM
No shit, tons of brand new boats up for sale on the Supra and Moomba FB site.

larry_arizona
08-12-2019, 07:49 PM
No shit, tons of brand new boats up for sale on the Supra and Moomba FB site.

Dealers blowing out inventory?

I know the local SC dealer just got a ton of 19 moombas in, 4 Makai, 7 Max, 4 Craz....

Stazi
08-12-2019, 07:51 PM
No, people selling private boats with 20-30-40hrs on them. I don’t get it.

larry_arizona
08-12-2019, 07:52 PM

Fear of recession?

Stazi
08-12-2019, 09:18 PM
Some guy just posted a fully loaded 2019 G25 he bought for $234k, for $169k, with 50hrs. Cos he said all his kids want to do is tube. [emoji23] what an expensive lesson!

That’s crazy money.

dakota4ce
08-12-2019, 09:36 PM

Who would ever?! LOSERS

Stazi
08-12-2019, 09:55 PM
Who would ever?! LOSERS

[emoji23]

sandm
08-12-2019, 10:15 PM
betting some of these guys are getting smokin deals from dealers, using for part of a season and selling for what they paid.
h2oking has been doing this for some time with centurion. has an agreement with the local dealer where he gets a new model, uses for a season and sells costing him just the monthly payment.

Surgical_ass
08-12-2019, 10:42 PM
We had intentions of ordering a Craz at the beginning of 2020 (boat show). Out of curiosity I started looking at 2018 boats available and found a demo mojo with 8hrs at a dealership in June. We ended up getting it and couldnt be happier. I got around 20% off sticker price. We too have a crew of 4 and have a family of 4 that goes with us often. I feel there is plenty of room for all of us and even more if we wanted. Some of my initial concerns were that I would not be able to surf the boat without adding aftermarket ballast and lead. This has not been the case. I have had zero issue surfing the stock wave. I'm 6'2" 190lb and brand new to surfing and am able to go ropeless and carve a little (still learning very new) this is just my wife and 2 small kids in the boat. I was also pleased that I didn't need to mess with the surf settings. I fill the bags flip the switch set cruise and go. I was expecting a summer of dialing in the wave. I do not regret my purchase the mojo has been perfect for our family. Good luck!

NewbFam5
08-12-2019, 11:34 PM
I'm looking for the same. A dealer just posted a new 2019 SL450 retail at 160ish for 120ish. That makes me want to figure out how to get into that boat. Also looking at getting that 2019 SL400 promo boat from last year that has 80 hours. I'm curious as to what the price is going to look like. There are a ton of 2019 23LSV's available for about $95 that are used/demo boats so they have to be willing to compete with Bu.

MJHSupra
08-13-2019, 01:34 AM
I was looking on boattrader.com over the weekend. Lots of 19s Supras now that the 2020 have announced. Mostly SEs and SAs. Deals to be had.

Sent from my P00I using Tapatalk

NewbFam5
08-13-2019, 01:49 AM
I was looking on boattrader.com over the weekend. Lots of 19s Supras now that the 2020 have announced. Mostly SEs and SAs. Deals to be had.

Sent from my P00I using Tapatalk

So at this point if my first choice is the SL450 but I can get an SE450, both 2019, for about the same price SL new vs SE used one year what would you do. I know it comes down to a ton of factors but in hypothetical terms what boat? I think I like the SA the most but I won't buy new 202 and for some dumb reason wanting a walk thru transom and sub-floor ballast have become more of a deal breaker. Outside of those issues, my own internal issues, I think I'm set. I want to find a 2019 SL450 or SE450 cause I live basically at sea level. I fear the SE is too big because I've never handled a boat over 20' and never a V-drive.

Stazi
08-13-2019, 07:12 AM
My buddy has a 2018 SE 450. It truly is a massive boat. But it is absolutely beautiful, and it creates an excellent wave. I adjusted the auto awake settings that were from the factory because they were a little bit off. But we basically surfed his boat all last week with Autowake when we had 8 people on board.

Regardless, Unless you live on a big lake and have a big crew I would look at a smaller boat though. Personally if I had the money I would be looking at an SA or an SL.

larry_arizona
08-13-2019, 08:14 AM
I will sell you my SA

Stazi
08-13-2019, 09:04 AM
[emoji23] I wish! But I’m in love with the 2020. Either way I can’t afford either right now.

I’ll keep rocking my 2017 Craz for a little longer. Powerball hasn’t hit for me yet.

larry_arizona
08-13-2019, 09:15 AM
Yeah the 2020 SA is Hot and a big step up in $$$$, going to try and pull this off.

But honestly the 18SA just kills it for wake and surf. This boat is awesome. I am kinda dumb for thinking of selling it.

Stazi
08-13-2019, 09:18 AM
PM me your idea of sell price for shits and giggles. Will keep it strictly confidential.

Mdavfx4
08-13-2019, 09:56 AM
Seems like that the popularity and interest in wake surfing has really boosted sales of wake boats over the past few years. Take all the guys who buy, then find out boating isn't for them, the people who buy a new boat every year, and others who need to sale for various reasons, I expect to see more and more deals out there. Hopefully the market continues to get flooded with boats for sale, driving down prices. I am kicking the idea around of buying a 2020, but some of the prices I have seen on leftovers, and 1 to 2 year old boats are way too good to pass up just to say I have a brand new boat.

Matt0520
08-13-2019, 12:49 PM
If you custom order, can you expect any discount at all? If so, what would % would be a "good deal"?

For a leftover 2019, should I be shooting for 10%?

I got that on a new order.

Leftover, I'd be shooting for more. And look at 2018 Supra leftovers too. Know of a few guys who got $140k (sticker) SR/SA models for the price of a new Mojo/Makai. As in around $90k.

Of your options I'd definitely go Mojo or Makai. Both are more classic in terms of styling with the Makai being just a bit nicer. Max is going to come with more budget type appointments, you can only get Rev8s on the tower for example. That looks super weird to me. And the overall design of that boat is kinda clunky, and you're stuck with the small screens/soft buttons. Go at least Mojo (and 2019 or newer) so you get the new offset 7" touchscreen, full Wetsounds system, etc.

For your crew size the Kaiyen might be perfect. Wave is going to be a lot better behind that from the factory. The bigger boats need a lot of added weight!